• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Raped

Naal

I'm a tiger, rawr!
May 23, 2009
✟7,741.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I need some advice on how to pull him up.

My boyfriend was raped twice by a babysitter and a family friend when he was six years old and eight. He is now 23, where as I am 22, and still dealing with the everyday nightmare of these memories. He has never delt with the issues and continues to push them down. He has only recently told his father, while his mother knew all along but never said anything.

I'd like to note, though, that he moved to America from his home country with his dad and brother when he was eleven. He has not seen his mother since then.

I have many friends whom have been raped or assaulted, but all of them women. I'm not saying the trauma is worse for a man, just different. His view on sex growing up was that it disgusted him. Up to the point of us starting to date, thinking/talking about sex or anything of that nature made him want to vomit. He admits that it still gets him a sick occasionally. Occasionally he sometimes caves in on himself with depression, and pulls away from all of society; it kills me every time.

How can I help him? What can I do to support him? By the Grace of God I have never been touched/raped so I don't know what to say or do in this situation. Other than encouraging him to seek counseling, which he is doing currently, is there anything else I can do?

C

ConsiderableSpeck

It's great that you want to help and you can. But just be aware that it's not your place to pull him up or "fix him". He'll have to come to terms with this in his own time and in his own way. If he doesn't want to talk about it, don't force the issue. If he does want to talk about it, just listen. Actively listen (you can find plenty of information on active listening skills), without trying to make it all better (because you can't). Don't give advice ... it's better if you can help him come to his own solutions when he's ready to do so, and not before.

If you can simply be there, in a non-threatening, non- pushy way, validating his feelings without any hint of judgment and letting him process this in his own time and in his own way, you'll be a true friend.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the others, just be there for him, let him know that you love him, and support him in whatever way he needs. If he is happy with the idea, maybe you could go to a couple of counseling sessions with him to work through your response to his situation and how best to support him.
Praying for you both :hug:

Upvote 0

brandon.j

The Pro Security/Network Eng become Psych Major
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
✟7,634.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If your boyfriend is still suffering such severe effects from the trauma then please get him to see a mental health professional. If he hasn't gotten better on his own after so many years then most likely he'll never get better without professional mental health services. Males often have a harder time dealing with rape than women because of masculinity and a number of other factors so please get him professional help.

God bless, the both of you will be in my prayers

Upvote 0