Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
a disdain for religion
religion?
conservative Catholicism you mean
I read a bit of that liberal "white trash" hate mail/link. It is pretty disturbing to think someone thinks like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The catholic priests I've admired have never talked about how their catholic faith was superior or "the best" or "the only way" to the Lord, even if they might think it deep down. (which I suspect they don't anyway) The ones who embrace all people of the world, as children of God, who emphasised unity, were the ones I took notice of.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
religion?
conservative Catholicism you mean
I read a bit of that liberal "white trash" hate mail/link. It is pretty disturbing to think someone thinks like that.

no, I was talking about people who show disdain for religion in general

why do you think the link I shared was "hate mail"
what did you find disturbing?
seemed pretty on the spot about the shallowness of modern folk who are pretty apathetic about religion

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
sorry rhamiel
thought you were saying I was the armchair pseudo-intellectual, which is actually close to the truth :)

I did not mean for it to seem that way, this thread is for random thoughts, so my first post was not in reference to you
just about people in general

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What I've noticed is that if you claim to be a conservative catholic, you can share in the authority of the catholic church. So that would be attractive to people who align themselves with conservatism. You can act like an umpire or referee and blow your whistle " uhu no, you can't do that. It's against Catholic doctrine." So they do become like policemen, traffic cops . Its a role they seem to enjoy. Not one I'm attracted to.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
all liberals are different but conservatives are all the same?
is that right?

no
there are all kinds of different conservatives

there are some who are more Libertarian, there are some who focus more economic issues, there are those (mostly Evangelicals) who are part of the 'Religious Right',
there are Neo-Cons who were Democrats but became Republicans when the Dems went more to the Left (Neo-Cons are not opposed to Big Government when it comes to 'law and order' issues, they are for involvement in other countries and are more moderate on Economic issues)

those are just the kinds of conservatives in the USA
we can find other groups, like Jacobites or Distributionists
there is also the new "Alt-Right" which is slightly Fascist

in the USA, we have a winner take all system
like in a Parliamentary system, if you get 10% of the vote, you get 10% of the Parliament
here if you are running for congress and your party gets 10% of the vote in a region, you get nothing

so in Italy and France you can have a decent party with only 10%
but here you have to get 51%
so it leads to all kinds of odd groups working together, both the Democrat and Republican parties are just huge coalitions made up of subgroups who do not always share the same interests

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
What I've noticed is that if you claim to be a conservative catholic, you can share in the authority of the catholic church. So that would be attractive to people who align themselves with conservatism. You can act like an umpire or referee and blow your whistle " uhu no, you can't do that. It's against Catholic doctrine." So they do become like policemen, traffic cops . Its a role they seem to enjoy. Not one I'm attracted to.

you have mentioned that you drifted away from Church when you were in your teens
and that in Catholic school the focus was more on rote memorization instead of a deeper understanding of the faith

I would think you would be grateful to people who understand the Catholic Faith better then you and could help explain it to you

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I would think you would be grateful to people who understand the Catholic Faith better then you and could help explain it to you
if it was done out of love, no problem

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Can I just say that sometimes I get the impression, that a conservative poster on here may use their knowledge of doctrine and theology, not to defend Catholicism but to promote their own profile? I can't prove that of course but like a childish "nya, nya nya, I know better than you" kind of post. If we build a better trust here between conservative and liberal ...? Oh I am sounding way too idealistic now, aren't I...

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can I just say that sometimes I get the impression, that a conservative poster on here may use their knowledge of doctrine and theology, not to defend Catholicism but to promote their own profile? I can't prove that of course but like a childish "nya, nya nya, I know better than you" kind of post. If we build a better trust here between conservative and liberal ...? Oh I am sounding way too idealistic now, aren't I...
Speaking of which, I just had a revelation, a revelation about something that has been eating at me for awhile. I figured out that our friend Benny is really a guy in the news, at least in America. Benny is none other than...(drum roll)...Curt Schilling! Paul, if you are unfamiliar with Curt, here is a link.
http://www.theonion.com/article/curt-schilling-quietly-relieved-he-no-longer-needs-52790

Now, if I am mistaken then I apologize, and will revert to my original thought that Benny is one of the guys from Most Holy Family Monastery.

Upvote 0