Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm American and Southern. Hence, my experience with tea is cold-served, infused with lots of sugar (2 cups sugar per gallon when I make it).

But I'm wondering how our English and other non-American friends drink tea. I hear milk is added? What about sugar?

Do you eat anything with it usually? Do you only drink tea at "tea time"?

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
when I was in morocco
mint tea was very popular
sometimes it would be a blend of strong green tea (called gunpowder green tea) and fresh mint leaves
sometimes it would just be fresh mint
they drank it hot and sweet
very similar to southern sweet tea
Muslims do not drink alcohol (lol or atleast they are not supposed to ;) )
so mint tea is VERY popular

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well - it has to be admitted I very very very rarely drink tea .

The traditional way of making it over here is

1 put kettle on to boil
2 whilst coming to the boil - get out the cups and saucers , milk jug and sugar bowl
3 get out the tea - either loose leaves or teabags
4 once kettle has boiled put some water in the teapot and swirl it round so that the whole of the inside of the teapot has been in contact with the hot water , thus warming the pot.
5 empty out the water and add the dry loose tea [ one teaspoon per person ] or one teabag per person to the teapot
6 pour the water , just off the boil , into the teapot and put the lid on , then cover the teapot with a cosy [ to keep it warm]

7 decide whether you are a milk before the tea is poured into your cup , or a milk after the tea is poured into the cup person - but the milk MUST be cold.
8 pour tea into the cup - by now it has been standing for a few minutes and is considered 'brewed' and ready
9 add sugar to taste [ or if you are drinking it without milk , you could add a small thin slice of lemon ]

10 enjoy with small dainty sandwiches and or cakes and or biscuits [ British type ] or just enjoy it on its own

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
From what I've observed, Egyptians will NEVER drink cold tea. I don't think any Middle Eastern/North African will, but I mostly know Egyptians (and some Iraqis, Lebanese, Syrians, Tunisians, Saudis, and Palestinians...none of whom drink it cold either). It is always hot, and you can have it with milk and even a little sugar (not spoonful after spoonful, though that could have been particular to the people I know). What you eat with it depends on when you're having it. When I was in the monastery of St. Shenouda in NY, the monks would have it after sunset in the evening so as to keep the fast, and it would only be after eating their one small meal (of ocra, rice, and/or an Egyptian bean dish called ful). But in people's homes, it is very common to have it in the morning together with a small egg sandwich (if it's not fasting time) or a little bit of ful and flat 'Arab' bread. That's how I liked it best, with the little sandwich (especially with spicy Egyptian pastrami and feta cheese -- yum!). Sometimes, but rarely, we might have it together with cucumber or tomato slices if we had limited time, like between the evening and midnight services during Holy Week, when we'd spend most of that time sleeping and hence only had a few minutes after waking up before we had to go back to church.

Oh, and once I had it with cactus, but I think that's pretty rare. They wanted to impress me with their 'exotic' dessert, I think, but they didn't know that cactus is also eaten in Mexico, so I had already had it. :) (I've never liked it, but I was polite about it, and really the tea helped wash down all the little seeds quite nicely, so it wasn't that bad.)

Egyptians think that tea is some kind of cure-all, or at least the ones I know do. Got a cold? Tea. Worried about an upcoming exam? Tea. Stepped in a bear trap and are quickly bleeding to death? That's going to require a lot of tea. Tea for everything. Tea all the time.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From what I've observed, Egyptians will NEVER drink cold tea. I don't think any Middle Eastern/North African will, but I mostly know Egyptians (and some Iraqis, Lebanese, Syrians, Tunisians, Saudis, and Palestinians...none of whom drink it cold either). It is always hot, and you can have it with milk and even a little sugar (not spoonful after spoonful, though that could have been particular to the people I know). What you eat with it depends on when you're having it. When I was in the monastery of St. Shenouda in NY, the monks would have it after sunset in the evening so as to keep the fast, and it would only be after eating their one small meal (of ocra, rice, and/or an Egyptian bean dish called ful). But in people's homes, it is very common to have it in the morning together with a small egg sandwich (if it's not fasting time) or a little bit of ful and flat 'Arab' bread. That's how I liked it best, with the little sandwich (especially with spicy Egyptian pastrami and feta cheese -- yum!). Sometimes, but rarely, we might have it together with cucumber or tomato slices if we had limited time, like between the evening and midnight services during Holy Week, when we'd spend most of that time sleeping and hence only had a few minutes after waking up before we had to go back to church.

Oh, and once I had it with cactus, but I think that's pretty rare. They wanted to impress me with their 'exotic' dessert, I think, but they didn't know that cactus is also eaten in Mexico, so I had already had it. :) (I've never liked it, but I was polite about it, and really the tea helped wash down all the little seeds quite nicely, so it wasn't that bad.)

Egyptians think that tea is some kind of cure-all, or at least the ones I know do. Got a cold? Tea. Worried about an upcoming exam? Tea. Stepped in a bear trap and are quickly bleeding to death? That's going to require a lot of tea. Tea for everything. Tea all the time.
Just spray windex on it!

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟341,909.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

1 put kettle on to boil
2 whilst coming to the boil - get out the cups and saucers , milk jug and sugar bowl
4 once kettle has boiled put some water in the teapot and swirl it round so that the whole of the inside of the teapot has been in contact with the hot water , thus warming the pot.
5 empty out the water and add the dry loose tea [ one teaspoon per person ] or one teabag per person to the teapot
6 pour the water , just off the boil , into the teapot and put the lid on , then cover the teapot with a cosy [ to keep it warm]

7 decide whether you are a milk before the tea is poured into your cup , or a milk after the tea is poured into the cup person - but the milk MUST be cold.
8 pour tea into the cup - by now it has been standing for a few minutes and is considered 'brewed' and ready
9 add sugar to taste [ or if you are drinking it without milk , you could add a small thin slice of lemon ]

10 enjoy with small dainty sandwiches and or cakes and or biscuits [ British type ] or just enjoy it on its own
I don't drink tea but I'd make an exception in your house...;)

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I drink iced tea but I prefer my tea hot. I don't make it very strong and I don't add any sugar, milk, lemon or sweeteners.

I don't like tea in the UK; blasphemy, I know, but it's way too strong for me when it's black and I hate having to add milk.

I like black tea (Earl Grey, Lipton - orange jaipur and lemon are good), green tea, Rooibos and mint tea. Mint tea in summer is delicious.

when I was in morocco
mint tea was very popular
sometimes it would be a blend of strong green tea (called gunpowder green tea) and fresh mint leaves
sometimes it would just be fresh mint
they drank it hot and sweet

Moroccan mint tea is brilliant. It is, indeed, super-sweet and surprisingly strong. I hate it when they add cinnamon, though. Yuck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

1 put kettle on to boil

I make tea the same way (I just don't have a tea cosy). I'm also a milk in the cup before the tea is poured person. (I live in the American South, btw, and I can't stand iced tea and especially if it's sweet tea.)

I'm more of a coffee person really. However, coffee is a morning drink for me and specifically one that gets me a lot of caffeine quickly. Tea is something I will drink in the evenings if I want it (because I never drink coffee later in the day). I keep a variety of herbal teas (usually mint and chamomile), darjeeling (loose), and chai (but if I make chai that requires evaporated milk instead of regular milk).

ETA- I don't do the dainty sandwiches though or lemon.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I drink tea often. And it depends on what kind of tea how to brew it. For my birthday my wife made me a Snoopy tea cozy for my teapot so I could make more in the morning and keep it hot. I usually use a mix of 1 1/2 teaspoon Earl Grey and 3 1/2 English Breakfast in my pot. I use sugar and cream most often but do have it other ways. I prefer black over green teas but when I do drink green I usually go for the Japanese greens. I will sometimes have a piece of toast with black tea or make a sweet like Seed Cake. But mostly I am drinking it without something else. Although nothing, in my opinion, beats a nice black tea with cream and sugar and a piece of Seed Cake.

My grandmothers mother came over from England as a young girl and my grandmother was a tea fanatic. After the seminary and in my first years at Penn State my class schedule was built around getting home at her tea times to make her tea. And even now my wife, who is very capable and good at making tea, will ask me to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
I mostly drink tea when I have the flu. even then, it's with honey and lemon. only thing that gives me some semblance of flavor. I am a coffee guy but it tastes like chalk when I'm under the weather. I will also drink some fruit teas [raspberry & black cherry, citrus, berries, etc.] there are days where I will have had too many cups of coffee too early, so I then will drink tea with milk and some sugar, or just plain tea with sugar.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
When I have English Breakfast Tea I make sure to squeeze the tea bags and let it brew for a few minutes to get all the flavour, then add a drop of milk, I like it strong.

I also really like black Lapsang Souchong tea with the bag left in.
Or at least I did, but I went off of it a month or so ago. I should try it again.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I probably drink a gallon of this stuff a day. Take the tea bags with me to work and brew it using the hot water dispenser at work.

UL016_Xl.jpg

Upvote 0