Questioning Pope Francis’ Evolving Doctrine and Morals Is Neither Ideology nor Backwardness, but Standing Firm in the Faith

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chilean Catholic author José Antonio Ureta has written an extensive critique of the philosophical and theological underpinnings of Pope Francis’ thought, arguing that the Pope appears to draw on a variety of modernist ideologies that fail to cohere with Catholic teaching and tradition.

Reflecting primarily on comments the Pope made to Jesuits in Lisbon last month in which the he criticized faithful American Catholics for being ideological, reactionary and “backwardist,” Ureta says Francis’ comments revealed an immanentistic, relativistic, and populist understanding of culture and faith, combined with a modernist view of the evolutionary development of dogmas and morals.

Pope St. Pius X condemned modernism in all its forms in his 1907 encyclical Pascendi Dominici Gregis.

Such a view of history and the world, Ureta adds, also derives from the late 20th century Jesuit thinker Pierre Teilhard de Chardin whose work Pope St. John XXIII effectively condemned in 1962 but who Francis said was “often misunderstood” during his recent trip to Mongolia.

The Chilean author, a member of the Brazil-based Tradition, Family and Property movement, explains that the Pope’s considers Catholic doctrine and morals as an abstract set of principles opposed to reality and the concrete historical and cultural values of people found in a “Theology of the People.”

Continued below.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"The most serious problem with Pope Francis’s recent comments about doctrine and ideology is that they seem very similar to the modernist view of the evolutionary nature of dogmas, based on the false belief in the evolution of the human conscience."

Informational articles like this one, the many forum discussions about 'obedience', have all helped me to see where I stand regarding the current controversies in the Church.

As a recent revert, I've worked hard to be open minded, understanding, and charitable about these things ... to 'stay in the middle' ground ... but not unlike U.S. politics today, it's nearly impossible to spend much time comfortably 'in the middle' on these important issues, without beginning to question one's sanity.

Well, I am no longer 'in the middle' ground about what is happening, and it feels good to be honest with myself.
It is sometimes hard, and painful (ouch!), the process it takes to get to the truth ...
but ultimately, it is the truth that sets us free, and moves us closer to God.

:cherryblossom:

Last edited:
Upvote 0