By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
The word "charismatic" is an umbrella term used to describe those Christians who believe that the manifestations of the Holy Spirit seen in the first century Christian church (Like in the book of Acts ), such as miracles, prophecy, and speaking in other tongues or languages, are available to contemporary Christians and are experienced and practiced today. Charismatics believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit found in 1 Corinthians 12-14.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,756.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The word "charismatic" is an umbrella term used to describe those Christians who believe that the manifestations of the Holy Spirit seen in the first century Christian church (Like in the book of Acts ), such as miracles, prophecy, and speaking in other tongues or languages, are available to contemporary Christians and are experienced and practiced today. Charismatics believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit found in 1 Corinthians 12-14.
Let's not forget the most important charismatic gift, Love.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By that "umbrella" definition, Pentecostalism is basically a subset of Charismatic Xianity; that's generally how I view things.

But there are other nuances of the term, depending on who's using it.

Sometimes it is used as sort of an "alternative" to traditional Pentecostalism, the main distinction being downplay or outright rejection of the idea of "tongues" as the "initial evidence" of Spirit-baptism.

From what I've read, outside of the US, "Charismatic" often equates to "Word-Faith" or "Prosperity Gospel."

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What I would like to know is what defines a Charismatic today. I am neither Charismatic/Neocharismatic nor Pentecostal so I have no clue. Thoughts?

:wave:

If you claim to be any of the three above mentioned terms, Chaismatic... Pentecostal; you are also claiming to be inffalible. You are saying to others that you know "GOD" spokke to youand gave you a "WORD" for others.

How do you believe so many people are inffalible and , yet, not :bow:The Holy Father?

:angel:

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
2 King gave a fairly good umbrella definition. As used to distinguish from "Pentecostal", a Charismatic is someone who believes his or her place is to remain within the church he was a part of before "receiving the gifts of the Holy Spirit" (in quotes because I'm intending it to mean in the sense Pentecostals and Charismatics give to it), rather than joinin an explicitly Pentecostal church such as the Assemblies of God, Church of God, etc.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

If you claim to be any of the three above mentioned terms, Chaismatic... Pentecostal; you are also claiming to be inffalible. You are saying to others that you know "GOD" spokke to youand gave you a "WORD" for others.

How do you believe so many people are inffalible and , yet, not :bow:The Holy Father?

All of this can be ignored. Passed by..focus on the faults of your own religion my friend. We will focus on ours in the meantime.
You yourself said "So many people are inffalible." Looks like the apple dosen't fall far from the Eucharist. :)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question: What is a CHARISMATIC?

LLOJ subscribes.....I do not know much about this topic but I notice there is even a Charismatic Catholic board on CF. Interesting :wave:

Charismatic Catholic Renewal - Christian Forums
Charismatic Catholic Renewal

Charismatic Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The term "charismatic" used in a Christian context primarily refers to a Christian theological position, or doctrine. The word charismatic is derived from the Greek word χάρισμα ("gift," itself derived from χάρις, "grace" or "favor") which is the term used in the Bible, 1 Corinthians 12-14. The theological position admits to the validity of miracles, prophecy, glossolalia (speaking in other tongues or languages), and other gifts referred to in this passage............

..........As secondary usage, the terms "charismatic Christian" and "renewalist" can be umbrella terms used to describe those modern Christians who are in agreement with this theological position, and believe that the manifestations of the Holy Spirit seen in the first century Christian Church are available to contemporary Christians and may be experienced and practiced today. They include Pentecostalism, the charismatic movement, and neocharismatics.

Upvote 0

Saera

Follow the road less traveled
Jun 1, 2009
Nebraska
✟7,748.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Charismatic Christians are defined in the study as those that say they have been "filled with the Holy Spirit" and believe in "charismatic gifts, such as tongues and healing, are still valid and active today."
A common misconception is that charismatic churches belong to a strictly separate group of denominations. In reality, charismatic churches have crossed denominational boundaries in recent years. A Barna survey of senior pastors reveals that seven percent of Southern Baptist churches and six percent of mainline churches are charismatic.
There are also widespread beliefs that charismatic churches tend to be small, relatively unsophisticated congregations that are more likely to be led by female pastors. However, research suggests that congregations are about the same size as those of non-charismatic Protestant churches and are also actually more likely to use technological applications - including large screen projection systems.
Moreover, charismatic and non-charismatic Protestant churches have the same portion of churches led by a female senior pastor (which would be nine percent).
Charismatic and Pentecostal Christians over the past decade have grown from about 30 percent to 36 percent of American adults, or about 80 million people. One out of every four Protestant churches in the United States (23 percent) is a charismatic congregation.

The typical charismatic congregation is nearly the same as that of evangelical, fundamentalist and mainline Protestant churches. Four out of five (80%) have a full-time, paid pastor; the senior pastor is, on average, 52 years old (the same as other Protestant churches); and the weekly adult attendance is nearly equivalent to other Protestant bodies (82 adults at Pentecostal gatherings compared to 85 adults at all Protestant churches).
Yet there are significant differences between charismatic and non-charismatic congregations.
Non-charismatic congregations tend to have a larger annual operating budget, $149,000, compared to the budget of Pentecostal ministries with $136,000. Similarly, non-charismatic churches on average spent more in paying their senior pastor, $47,000 annually, than charismatic pastors who receive a compensation package averaging about $42,000.
Yet perhaps the biggest distinction between the two is the level of education of the pastors. A significant majority of senior pastors of non-charismatic churches (70 %) have graduated from a seminary. In comparison, not quite half of charismatic pastors (49 %) have a seminary degree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2 King

By His Wounds We Are Healed
Jun 5, 2009
Desert
✟17,226.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Private
Without doubt, the Charismatic Movement is the fastest growing religious movement of our day within the realm of those who profess Christianity. It is, in fact, growing faster than Roman Catholicism, Greek Orthodoxy, Protestantism, Pentecostalism, Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism. At the same time, it is also producing more theological confusion than any other movement in the world.

Although the Charismatic Movement as such was unknown until the 1960s, its roots go back to Pentecostalism, which began in the early 20th century. The major difference between Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement is that most Christians rejected the doctrinal deviations and unscriptural practices of the Pentecostals in the early years, forcing them to establish new churches, denominations and institutions. In contrast, the Charismatic Movement has established itself within existing churches and denominations, including the Roman Catholic and Orthodox churches that had previously been untouched by Pentecostalism. Today, although some historic Pentecostals reject what they consider to be excesses in the Charismatic Movement (especially with regard to worldliness and fellowship with Catholics), Pentecostalism and the Charismatic Movement are essentially considered the same because both groups hold to and teach similar theological views regarding the person, ministry and gifts of the Holy Spirit. Both Pentecostals and Charismatics preach and teach many precious truths of the Bible.

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible makes it clear that the blessed Holy Spirit is the third person of the Triune God—Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Before Jesus Christ died, rose again and ascended into heaven, He promised His own disciples that He would send the Holy Spirit—the Spirit of Truth—who would guide them (the apostles whom the Spirit used to pen the inspired, inerrant, written Word) "into all truth"—the completed canon of Scripture (John 15:26; 16:13). The Bible tells us that the written Word of God was given through the ministry of the Holy Spirit (2 Peter 1: 19-21). Sinners can only be saved through hearing the Gospel which is found in that written Word, the Bible, accompanied by the convicting power of the Holy Spirit (John 16:7-11; Romans 10:8-17; 1 Peter 1:18-25). The Bible also tells us that it was through the divine ministry of the Holy Spirit that Jesus Christ, the Living Word, was conceived in the womb of the virgin Mary (Matthew 1:18).
Furthermore, contrary to what most Pentecostals and Charismatics teach, God's Word states that all true believers are baptized into the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit at the moment of conversion, not at some subsequent time (1 Corinthians 12:13; Romans 8:9). There can be, and should be, continual fillings of the Holy Spirit throughout our Christian walk (Ephesians 5:18) as we yield completely to the Lord (Rom. 12:1-2), but the baptism of the Holy Spirit is a one-time event that takes place at the new birth, resulting in the believer being "sealed unto the day of redemption" (Ephesians 1: 11-14; 4:30). Another ministry of the Holy Spirit is His role as the believer's Comforter (John. 15:26) and his divine Helper and Intercessor in times of infirmity and uncertainty (Romans 8:26-27). A Biblical study of the Holy Spirit will always bring much blessing to every sincere believer.

Upvote 0

itisdeliciouscake

Deus est regit qui omnia
Apr 14, 2008
Indiana
✟11,689.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I'm actually pretty close to being considered charismatic.

the only reason I don't identify myself as such is because a LARGE majority of the charismatic movement seems to be phonies (coughToddBentleycough).

only a few problems I have with the Charismatic movement in general.

firstly that a lot of them teach that ALL Christians who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit (which is all Christians) are given the gift of tongues. (which in turn, leads to MANY MANY phonies in the movement)

another problem I have is the disorder that many of the churches have... (a chapter in 1 cor I believe addresses this issue, gifts of tongues are to be used in an orderly manner, NOT congregations just babbling.)

and my biggest problem with them of course is the sheer amount of phonies. I believe that the Holy Spirit gifts people with all gifts (except apostleship) today in the same way that he did in the early church. (which is the basis for the charismatic movement) BUT that means that the gifts he give MUST BE THE SAME!!! when a person was healed in the early church, it wasn't 'I had a weird feeling in my stumache, and now it's gone' or 'I was blind, but now I see vague shadows' or healing a cancer that was never diagnosed. in the early church it was 'I was blind, and now I see!' or 'I was paralyzed and now I walk! (and jumped also btw)' (not 'I used crutches but now I only need a cane'.)

Upvote 0

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
(coughToddBentleycough).
LOL! Yeah, he's a phony :)

(which in turn, leads to MANY MANY phonies in the movement)
So true.

a chapter in 1 cor I believe addresses this issue, gifts of tongues are to be used in an orderly manner, NOT congregations just babbling.)
The congregation I attend allows the use of tongues no matter what manner. (Since our pastor is loud, we can't really hear them anyway :))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PT Calvinist

Legend
Jun 19, 2009
Texas - Near the Coast
✟17,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
1 Cor. 14:26
Ahhh...Time for the Lexicons and interlinear Bibles :)
From what I gather from that verse of Scripture is that everything done in worship services must be beneficial to the worshipers. Every worshiper ought to consider himself or herself a contributor. These principles touch every aspect--sining, preaching, and the excercise of Spiritual Gifts. Contributors to the service (by singing, speaking, reading, praying, playing instruments, giving etc.) must have love as their chief motivation. As you prepare to lead or participate in worship, seek to strengthen the faith of the other believer.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You should make at least a tiny effort to understand what people actually believe before you go lying about them as you have here.

You should also get a working spell-checker. :wave:

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I would like to know is what defines a Charismatic today. I am neither Charismatic/Neocharismatic nor Pentecostal so I have no clue. Thoughts?
Anyone who believes that the Charisms (gifts of the SPirit) are ALL active today and should be pursued as part of a healthy Christian life.

Reactions: nephilimiyr
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Anyone who believes that the Charisms (gifts of the SPirit) are ALL active today and should be pursued as part of a healthy Christian life.
:thumbsup: Well said, In my opinion, there doesn't need to be any long explanations at all to define it.

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This has got to be one of the worst generalisations I have seen in some time . . .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.