Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some instructors will deduct points for use of they as the third person singular pronoun. Some people use "he or she," which I find awkward, and some writers will alternate between he and she. I suppose if you're only using the pronoun one time, you could say, "he or she," and if you're using it several times, the two pronouns could umm... take turns. :scratch:

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds rather mean.
Be that as it may, a few years ago when I was taking college English courses, the teacher told us not to use "they" as a third person singular pronoun, probably because "they" is plural. I suppose the best thing for a student to do would be to ask the instructor what to use.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Be that as it may, a few years ago when I was taking college English courses, the teacher told us not to use "they" as a third person singular pronoun, probably because "they" is plural. I suppose the best thing for a student to do would be to ask the instructor what to use.
Was the teacher an native English speaker?

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

I successfully argued this point with an English teacher in college. :D I was going to be penalized because I kept using it when rewording made a sentance too awkward, and I refused to submit to the PC police with 'he/she', which is even more awkward!! I did some research and discovered that using 'they' for a third person singular genderless pronoun is acceptable by the Oxford English Dictionary. You should have seen the look on the teachers face when I said, "Hey...go argue it with the OED staff, not me!!"

Reactions: Naomi4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I successfully argued this point with an English teacher in college. :D I was going to be penalized because I kept using it when rewording made a sentance too awkward, and I refused to submit to the PC police with 'he/she', which is even more awkward!! I did some research and discovered that using 'they' for a third person singular genderless pronoun is acceptable by the Oxford English Dictionary. You should have seen the look on the teachers face when I said, "Hey...go argue it with the OED staff, not me!!"

Well, that does make it easier and less awkward. During my first college life (back in the 70's, which are the olden days to some), we were still using the masculine pronoun to go along with "each" and "every." The use of "they" as a singular prounoun was scandalous.

The writers handbook that I have now is a 2002 edition of Simon and Schuster Handbook for Writers. It states that the use of "they" as a singular pronoun is gaining favor, but give suggestions on sentence restructuring to avoid its use, which was probably the best thing to do, knowing that some students may not have option of using "they." Of course, I realize the book is now five years old, and things seem to have moved right along. That same professor that told us not to use "they" (in my second college life) may be now allowing it.

Upvote 0

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My writing professor would probably just about kill any student found using "they." I understand his reasoning. Think about it...it may be correct, but it's not-quite-professional. There's always the awkard yet formal, "he or she" or there's also the possiblity of rewording the sentence so that the problem isn't an issue.

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My writing professor would probably just about kill any student found using "they." I understand his reasoning. Think about it...it may be correct, but it's not-quite-professional. There's always the awkard yet formal, "he or she" or there's also the possiblity of rewording the sentence so that the problem isn't an issue.

Well, strictly speaking for myself, I don't use "they" as a singular pronoun. If things are migrating in that direction a few years from now, it might not be an issue. For now, I don't care for the sound if it. Of course, I'm from the old school. For instance, I do not pronounce the "t" in "often." I had an elementary teacher that so drilled it into our heads that the "t" is silent that I will not pronounce it to this day, even though almost everyone else does!

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Singular they has been in use for hundreds of years! It's not a new thing.

Even if it were new, English is a constantly evolving language, and so we shouldn't get stuck in a 1950's timewarp (or whatever era those teachers were drilled in (note ending preposition, which is perfectly acceptable) ).

Presumably we all use the singular you, instead of thou?

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Singular they has been in use for hundreds of years! It's not a new thing.

Even if it were new, English is a constantly evolving language, and so we shouldn't get stuck in a 1950's timewarp (or whatever era those teachers were drilled in (note ending preposition, which is perfectly acceptable) ).

Presumably we all use the singular you, instead of thou?

Naomi, I'll have to plead ingnorance on the statement that the singular "they" has been in use for hundreds of years. Could you point me to a reference or two? I'd like to improve my ignorance to knowledge ratio just a little bit. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Naomi, I'll have to plead ingnorance on the statement that the singular "they" has been in use for hundreds of years. Could you point me to a reference or two? I'd like to improve my ignorance to knowledge ratio just a little bit. :wave:

Find an Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford gives pretty thourough etymologies. That's how I won that debate with my English teacher...I photocopied the page out of the OED.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Jane Austen was a voracious user :)

Upvote 0

Eskarina

Apr 9, 2005
Canada
✟17,724.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is common in textbooks and assorted articles to use either he or she when refering to a theoretical person. This is done especially when presenting a scenario. Often the writer will alternate between male and female from one scenario, but it should not be done within the same scenario.

Upvote 0

Lenora56

Veteran
May 25, 2005
Louisiana
Visit site
✟1,972.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see now that "they' has been commonly used for longer than I thought. I'll continue to usually use he or she (one or the other, not the awkward combination of both), since that is also accepted, and I am most comfortable with it. However, even though I don't care for the sound of "they" as a singular third person pronoun, I would not deduct points from a student who used it. Well, I mean that IF I were an English teacher I wouldn't deduct the points. Okay, I'm rambling.

Bye:wave:

Upvote 0