Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
(First off, if you don't agree with what I say next regarding the history of Abrahamic beliefs, then please don't post in this thread. I am looking for answers and ideas as opposed to a debate about history.) ... O.k., with my admittedly limited knowledge of history, it seems that the Jewish beliefs evolved gradually over centuries from earlier polytheistic religions in that region. If you don't agree with me, then that's fine, but don't derail this thread please; I have a question that I want answered. :)

My question is this: how do you maintain your faith while believing the historical claim I made above? Isn't God supposed to reveal Himself to Moses, as Jesus, to Muhammad, etc.? Why would the historical evolution of these beliefs look so messy?

I've been asking myself why I do not believe in an Abrahamic God, and mostly it is this historical issue.

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(First off, if you don't agree with what I say next regarding the history of Abrahamic beliefs, then please don't post in this thread. I am looking for answers and ideas as opposed to a debate about history.) ... O.k., with my admittedly limited knowledge of history, it seems that the Jewish beliefs evolved gradually over centuries from earlier polytheistic religions in that region. If you don't agree with me, then that's fine, but don't derail this thread please; I have a question that I want answered. :)

My question is this: how do you maintain your faith while believing the historical claim I made above? Isn't God supposed to reveal Himself to Moses, as Jesus, to Muhammad, etc.? Why would the historical evolution of these beliefs look so messy?

I've been asking myself why I do not believe in an Abrahamic God, and mostly it is this historical issue.

I think you're asking a question that they simply cannot answer.

I once attended a four-way debate between a rabbi, a Muslim, a Christian pastor, and an atheist.

The rabbi essentially admitted that the Bible is a mixture of literal history together with fables which should not be taken as literal occurrences but as life lessons. It's like the story of the scorpion and the frog: A scorpion asks a frog for a ride across a river. The frog says, "No, you'll sting me." The scorpion says, "I will not sting you, because if I do, you'll sink and we'll both drown." So the frog is convinced, and takes the scorpion on his back. As they are crossing the river, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog asks, "Why did you do that? Now we're both going to drown." The scorpion replies, "I'm a scorpion; it is my nature." No one in their right mind will take that story literally, but there is obvious value in it.

The Muslim contributed nothing except citing various verses from the Koran and asserting that we cannot discuss matters of whether or not these things are true.

The atheist and the Christian pastor argued with each other.

Culturally, Westerners do not separate scientific fact from religion. That is actually unique to us. This is why Christians, for example, try to deny evolution: if both science and religion are supposed to confirm one another, they cannot contradict one another, so evolution cannot be scientific.

What I take away from a culture like Judaism is the notion that they culturally value YHWH but that they generally do not believe he literally exists. They recognize the hardships that their ancestors went through and because of that they honor their Jewish traditions. But the Jews themselves admit that most of the things in the Old Testament are likely false (false in the sense that we Westerners would mean, but they actually would not find either "true" or "false" as appropriate), such as the 400 years of captivity in Egypt. It is utterly inconceivable that they could be in captivity for that long and yet read and write Hebrew upon their exodus. Combined with the fact that there is no physical evidence they were ever there, and you see we have an elaborate fable. And every fable has a purpose. What was the purpose of the Exodus fable? To give them the law. So when a little kid asks where who made the law up, they have their answer.

So if you realize how God evolved from a man (he walked in gardens and wrestled Jacob) to a disembodied mind that could speak but generally couldn't be gazed upon, and you see the evolution from a polytheistic worldview (God hates Molech? He hates Baal?) to a supreme monotheistic worldview where other gods are described as lifeless statues - and I know you realize this, of course, as you point it out as the reason for your atheism - then it is simply impossible to believe the Bible, literally believe, in the sense that we Westerners believe things.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks, @Nihilist Virus :)
Jesus is an interesting case for me, because Jesus referred to Moses. Jesus said He was the Son of Man, and that suggests to me an Essene or Enochian Jewish background. There is also the epistle of Jude that refers to characters from the book of Enoch. Many of the sayings of Jesus speak of light and darkness. The Didache mentions the path of light and darkness. All of that is Essene or Enochian IMO.

Jesus referred to Moses, Elijah, and other items from the Bible that many would consider to be myths. However, according to some things I have read, the Essenes did not believe anything in the scriptures should be read literally - very similar to Gnosticism interestingly. If Jesus was an Essene, then He could have mentioned Moses without actually believing that Moses or the Exodus were historical. Furthermore, the followers of Jesus could have created fictional tales about Jesus without feeling that they were deceiving anybody - their audience was expected to look for the deeper meanings of the stories. Then, as Christianity lost its connection to Essene culture, the fictions became literal history.

Coming from a Christian background, the key questions for me are:
Was Jesus a deluded doomsday prophet or somehow divine?
Is there anything of value in Christian theology?
Is it worthwhile to seek God in some way or is that just a waste of my time?
If I seek God, should I seek a Christian-like God, or should I seek a more pantheistic God?
What about my personal experiences where it seemed that God answered prayers or showed me things? Was that the Christian God, a more generic God, or my imagination?
... and on and on

I hear many Christians say that they do not take the Bible literally, but how do they keep Christianity from falling apart?

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
While I don't agree with a lot you have said, nor do I think Nihilist Virus has met many Jews if he thinks that is the position they hold, nor do I consider myself theologically liberal, I agree much of the Old testament may have mythic components.

The best explanation, from CS Lewis:

"My present view – which is tentative and liable to any amount of correction – would be that just as, on the factual side, a long preparation culminates in God’s becoming incarnate as Man, so, on the documentary side, the truth first appears in mythical form and then by a long process of condensing or focusing finally becomes incarnate as History.

This involves the belief that Myth in general is not merely misunderstood history … nor diabolical illusion … nor priestly lying … but, at its best, a real though unfocused gleam of divine truth falling on human imagination. The Hebrews, like other people, had mythology: but as they were the chosen people so their mythology was the chosen mythology – the mythology chosen by God to be the vehicle of the earliest sacred truth, the first step in that process which ends in the New Testament where truth has become completely historical.

Whether we can say with certainty where, in this process of crystallization, any particular Old Testament story falls, is another matter. I take it that the memoirs of David’s court come at one end of the scale and are scarcely less historical than St. Mark or Acts; and that the Book of Jonah is at the opposite end."

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A 2011 study found that half of all American Jews have doubts about the existence of God, compared to 10–15% of other American religious groups.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_atheism
Having doubts is very different from not believing He exists. Also, there is a difference between Judaism as a religion and Jew as a socio-cultural construct.

Now, don't quote wikipedia, it is a very poor source with good and bad references being treated equivalently and a lot of supposition smuggled in as well as "it is possible that" in original sources becoming "it is" in wikipedia. Would you use wikipedia in a book reference or a university article? No, it makes you look amateurish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Having doubts is very different from not believing He exists.

Fair enough.

Also, there is a difference between Judaism as a religion and Jew as a socio-cultural construct.

Which was exactly my point when I said "What I take away from a culture like Judaism is the notion that they culturally value YHWH but that they generally do not believe he literally exists. They recognize the hardships that their ancestors went through and because of that they honor their Jewish traditions."

Now, don't quote wikipedia, it is a very poor source with good and bad references being treated equivalently and a lot of supposition smuggled in as well as "it is possible that" in original sources becoming "it is" in wikipedia. Would you use wikipedia in a book reference or a university article? No, it makes you look amateurish.

Now, don't quote wikipedia the Bible, it is a very poor source with good and bad references being treated equivalently and a lot of supposition smuggled in as well as "it is possible that" "it is believed that" in original sources becoming "it is" in wikipedia the Bible. Would you use wikipedia the Bible in a book reference or a university article? No, it makes you look amateurish.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough.

Which was exactly my point when I said "What I take away from a culture like Judaism is the notion that they culturally value YHWH but that they generally do not believe he literally exists. They recognize the hardships that their ancestors went through and because of that they honor their Jewish traditions."

Now, don't quote wikipedia the Bible, it is a very poor source with good and bad references being treated equivalently and a lot of supposition smuggled in as well as "it is possible that" "it is believed that" in original sources becoming "it is" in wikipedia the Bible. Would you use wikipedia the Bible in a book reference or a university article? No, it makes you look amateurish.
You last paragraph is patently ridiculous, as the Bible is frequently used in book references and University articles, there are no original sources to reference where 'it is believed that' becomes 'it is' in reference to the Bible as the Bible references no extant books, nor any references for that matter. This is easily the most baseless response I have ever seen.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
While I don't agree with a lot you have said, nor do I think Nihilist Virus has met many Jews if he thinks that is the position they hold, nor do I consider myself theologically liberal, I agree much of the Old testament may have mythic components.

The best explanation, from CS Lewis:

"My present view – which is tentative and liable to any amount of correction – would be that just as, on the factual side, a long preparation culminates in God’s becoming incarnate as Man, so, on the documentary side, the truth first appears in mythical form and then by a long process of condensing or focusing finally becomes incarnate as History.

This involves the belief that Myth in general is not merely misunderstood history … nor diabolical illusion … nor priestly lying … but, at its best, a real though unfocused gleam of divine truth falling on human imagination. The Hebrews, like other people, had mythology: but as they were the chosen people so their mythology was the chosen mythology – the mythology chosen by God to be the vehicle of the earliest sacred truth, the first step in that process which ends in the New Testament where truth has become completely historical.

Whether we can say with certainty where, in this process of crystallization, any particular Old Testament story falls, is another matter. I take it that the memoirs of David’s court come at one end of the scale and are scarcely less historical than St. Mark or Acts; and that the Book of Jonah is at the opposite end."
Thanks, @Quid est Veritas? :)
It does seem that C.S. Lewis gave some thought to this problem.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You last paragraph is patently ridiculous, as the Bible is frequently used in book references and University articles, there are no original sources to reference where 'it is believed that' becomes 'it is' in reference to the Bible as the Bible references no extant books, nor any references for that matter. This is easily the most baseless response I have ever seen.

Genesis, for example, is composed of oral traditions. Oral traditions are of the "it is believed that" nature and not of the "it is" nature. Yet the account in Genesis is portrayed in an "it is" nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If it was evolved "suddenly", would you still have the same question?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Genesis, for example, is composed of oral traditions. Oral traditions are of the "it is believed that" nature and not of the "it is" nature. Yet the account in Genesis is portrayed in an "it is" nature.
Another commonality between the Bible and Wikipedia is that both were composed and edited by many unknown contributors. Of course most believers assume that God inspired the unknown contributors of the Bible and the people who decided what should be included in the Bible. Wikipedia has some paid editors, but none of them can compete with God ;)

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If it was evolved "suddenly", would you still have the same question?

The history of these Abrahamic religious theologies is analogous to the fossil evidence of life on Earth. If God was involved in the evolution of either the religions or life on Earth, then I would expect to see a quicker and more orderly progression towards the current state.

To answer your question, if I saw that quick and orderly progression, then I would still have some other difficulties believing in Christianity. For example, heaven and hell are a problem for me.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The history of these Abrahamic religious theologies is analogous to the fossil evidence of life on Earth. If God was involved in the evolution of either the religions or life on Earth, then I would expect to see a quicker and more orderly progression towards the current state.

To answer your question, if I saw that quick and orderly progression, then I would still have some other difficulties believing in Christianity. For example, heaven and hell are a problem for me.
Why does it have to be quicker and more orderly? Heaven and Hell, most especially Hell, are also a problem for many Christians as well.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What if you see no progression, but a sudden change? Would you still have the same problem?
Let me clarify: it was a change from the regional polytheism to Jewish monotheism. Is that right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why does it have to be quicker and more orderly? Heaven and Hell, most especially Hell, are also a problem for many Christians as well.
If the historical progression does not falsify the hypothesis that God was not involved, then we should probably accept the hypothesis that God was not involved, because that hypothesis is simpler and successfully predicts what we later uncover through archaeological digs, etc.

Anyway, we seem to be debating my assessment of the historical evidence that I said I did not want to debate. The question is for people who roughly agree with my assessment of the data and still maintain faith in an Abrahamic religion. How do you guys make it work? C.S. Lewis had a partial answer provided by @Quid est Veritas?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What if you see no progression, but a sudden change? Would you still have the same problem?
Let me clarify: it was a change from the regional polytheism to Jewish monotheism. Is that right?
Yes, I expect to see a sudden change. At the very least, I expect to see evidence of a core of faithful, orthodox Jews whose theology did not change - even if this core was surrounded by less faithful Jews. I expect to see evidence of this unchanging core group's theology in the text of the Torah. Instead the Torah shows evidence of an evolving theology IMO.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
For a person of Christian upbringing, I am skeptical of Jesus's divinity, because He seemed to accept the Torah as historical. Maybe Jesus only accepted the Torah in the way that a modern-day atheist Jew would accept the Torah? Or maybe ignorance was part of being fully human - even while being fully divine? Or maybe Jesus decided to play along with the ignorance of his Jewish followers by pretending to accept the Torah as history, because He had more important ideas to teach? (When I say "ignorant" above, I mean "uninformed" - not "stupid". I'm not trying to insult people - just explaining my thought process on this to see if anybody else has confronted these issues.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If the historical progression does not falsify the hypothesis that God was not involved, then we should probably accept the hypothesis that God was not involved, because that hypothesis is simpler and successfully predicts what we later uncover through archaeological digs, etc.

Anyway, we seem to be debating my assessment of the historical evidence that I said I did not want to debate. The question is for people who roughly agree with my assessment of the data and still maintain faith in an Abrahamic religion. How do you guys make it work? C.S. Lewis had a partial answer provided by @Quid est Veritas?

OK, so you want to say things but not discuss them? Hmmm. How do we make what work? Belief in God? One of my arguments is that evolution would be impossible without God. Evolution is creativity in action, the birth of the genuinely novel. Creative potentials or imaginative ideas require a transcendental imagination, i.e., God.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
OK, so you want to say things but not discuss them? Hmmm. How do we make what work? Belief in God? One of my arguments is that evolution would be impossible without God. Evolution is creativity in action, the birth of the genuinely novel. Creative potentials or imaginative ideas require a transcendental imagination, i.e., God.
To clarify, I don't want to debate my impression of the history of the Abrahamic religions, because that is only the preface for my question. I want to know how Jews, Christians, and Muslims who share my impression of the history are able to maintain their faith. The quote from C.S. Lewis earlier in this thread is an example of a Christian finding such a solution (although C.S. Lewis only addresses the issue of mythology in the Bible - he does not address some of the other concerns I mentioned).

Upvote 0