Oct 24, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Visit site
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When you sit down to write a story do you think if you are honoring God in what you are doing? Like I have heard some say magic is wrong, and then others are like it's okay to write about certain things just don't glorify evil. When you write you want to entertain but also honor God. Does anyone have a take on this? I used to write about vampires and supernatural things but now I am afraid all that stuff should be put away and I should find other things to write about like historical fiction, romance, and mysteries. Just want to do wants right and most pleasing to God.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

LaSpino3

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
✟2,160.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Mystikspring, an easy way to begin on your new journey is to write about an event that happened to you; something with a bit of humor; something that ended in a way you would never have suspected.

I find this easy, and fun,

Blessing in Jesus Christ,

Phil LaSpino

Upvote 0

Mizuti

~Wings of the Heart~
Dec 18, 2011
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can't speak for anyone else, but I really enjoy reading and writing fantasy and about things that aren't real. Is it wrong to enjoy a good Christian fantasy (or science fiction) piece, like Tolkien? I don't think it is, as the (good) characters in such a book glorify what God stands for.

There are also historical fiction pieces and mysteries that glorify not-good stuff and plenty of romance that is highly sensual and upholds how having sexual relations before marriage is a good thing. With each genre, there are things to be aware of, but does this necessarily mean that writing about talking animals or super-humans is any less good than writing about two people having a relationship?

I'm not judging you for wanting to stay away from writing the more "fantastical" stuff, just providing another opinion on the matter. If you feel you should stay away from it, then do.

Upvote 0

NostalgicGranny

Senior Veteran
Sep 2, 2007
Texas
✟25,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally I don't think you should if you are a practicing Christian. 1st because we aren't suppose to mess with things of that nature. And 2nd because we are suppose to walk the Christian walk. Pray about it before you do it. And think about what you would say to Christ come judgement day when he asked "Why did you write ______ that led people astray?"

I started a ghost/supernatural story before I became a Christian - it was hard to let it go, but after prayer I did. It didn't honor GOD. If you are truly talented you will be able to write other things. Write what you know has always been excellent advice.

Upvote 0