Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi! I have a question I was hoping someone familiar with the Presbyterian Church in America could help me out with.

I have been considering, very carefully, joining a PCA church. However, while I accept the overwhelming majority of the Westminster Confessions, I do not accept absolutely all of it. What is required, in terms of belief, to become a member and officially join the PCA? I am not just talking about as it related to the Westminster Confessions...any requirements at all. Thanks in advance for your help!

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unlike office holders in the church, members of a PCA church need not affirm the Westminster Standards. Communing members must have made a proper confession of faith, been lawfully baptized, and admitted to the Table by the Session.

You will be expected to answer affirmatively:

1. Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of
God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save
in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God,
and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him
alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon
the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as
becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and
work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline
of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace
?

That last question is key to your question, as you are agreeing to submit to the authority of the church and not upset its peace. So if you have significant issues with the Westminster Standards you should discuss these with the elders as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Communing members must have made a proper confession of faith, been lawfully baptized, and admitted to the Table by the Session.
Your comment that I placed in bold raises a question of mine... In the PCA, is there open, closed, or somewhere in between with regard to the Table?

Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your comment that I placed in bold raises a question of mine... In the PCA, is there open, closed, or somewhere in between with regard to the Table?

I believe it is closed...but I am not 100% positive.

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟53,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The table is fenced in that an announcement is made that; "if you are a member in good standing in this, or any evangelical church or have been approved by the session you may partake of the table"

"fenced in" good term.... :) I like that!

The statement is a good statement, but if there was a known Atheist partaking, what would they do?

Upvote 0

Jeffriesw

Jul 1, 2013
Central Florida
✟7,628.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi! I have a question I was hoping someone familiar with the Presbyterian Church in America could help me out with.

I have been considering, very carefully, joining a PCA church. However, while I accept the overwhelming majority of the Westminster Confessions, I do not accept absolutely all of it. What is required, in terms of belief, to become a member and officially join the PCA? I am not just talking about as it related to the Westminster Confessions...any requirements at all. Thanks in advance for your help!

Unlike office holders in the church, members of a PCA church need not affirm the Westminster Standards. Communing members must have made a proper confession of faith, been lawfully baptized, and admitted to the Table by the Session.

You will be expected to answer affirmatively:

1. Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of
God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save
in His sovereign mercy?
2. Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God,
and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him
alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
3. Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon
the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as
becomes the followers of Christ?
4. Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and
work to the best of your ability?
5. Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline
of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?

That last question is key to your question, as you are agreeing to submit to the authority of the church and not upset its peace. So if you have significant issues with the Westminster Standards you should discuss these with the elders as soon as possible.

Good advice. I would also advise you to ask one of the elders to help you (and your family, as the case may be) through a study on the WCF and the shorter and larger catechisms. My wife and I spent a year with one of the elders of our Church working our way through them and found this to be tremendously beneficial to our understanding of not just the confessional documents of the Church, but Presbyterianism as well.
Besides the WCF & Cathechisms, we used a book by G.I. Williamson
~~~~>The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes: G. I. Williamson: 9780875525938: Amazon.com: Books that was extremely helpful.

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
"fenced in" good term.... :) I like that!

The statement is a good statement, but if there was a known Atheist partaking, what would they do?
Once the announcement is made it is left to the individual to decide whether to partake. If an unregenerate person partakes it is between them and God. I'm convinced that there are members in good standing who have made a profession of faith and yet remain unregenerate. The visible church is full of such people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Good advice. I would also advise you to ask one of the elders to help you (and your family, as the case may be) through a study on the WCF and the shorter and larger catechisms. My wife and I spent a year with one of the elders of our Church working our way through them and found this to be tremendously beneficial to our understanding of not just the confessional documents of the Church, but Presbyterianism as well.
Besides the WCF & Cathechisms, we used a book by G.I. Williamson
~~~~>The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes: G. I. Williamson: 9780875525938: Amazon.com: Books that was extremely helpful.
Williamson is an excellent resource

Upvote 0