Dec 6, 2003
Princeton, New Jersey
Visit site
✟1,945.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
My friend has on his website a summary of his (Calvinist) beliefs in the acronym "TULIP". He mentions that many more conservative Calvinists believe in double predestination.

I consider myself to be Christian, and Protestant, and I have attended Baptist and Methodist churches, though I haven't decided on a denomination yet. I don't own the Old Testament, and ruefully, I don't study Scripture on a regular basis. But from my personal beliefs, God wants to save all of His children, so why would He predestine some to hell? And if He gave us freedom to choose Him, and those who do are saved and always saved, why would He predestine at all? :confused:

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟516,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
marli said:
My friend has on his website a summary of his (Calvinist) beliefs in the acronym "TULIP". He mentions that many more conservative Calvinists believe in double predestination.

I consider myself to be Christian, and Protestant, and I have attended Baptist and Methodist churches, though I haven't decided on a denomination yet. I don't own the Old Testament, and ruefully, I don't study Scripture on a regular basis. But from my personal beliefs, God wants to save all of His children, so why would He predestine some to hell? And if He gave us freedom to choose Him, and those who do are saved and always saved, why would He predestine at all? :confused:
Good Day Marli,

Welcome to CF. The question that you ask is some what misunderstood IMHO. The Way I understand it from a biblical stance is this That all people by their very nature desevre to be in Hell. God in his soverenity predestined some to recieve his grace though faith that is a gift of God. So the bottom line is that some get that that justice demands and some get grace from God.

Double predes. would IMO present a false standing that does not exist in the view of God. This state require a place that is niether justice or grace, but some other state as unindetified in the plan of God. I do not see this state in Scripture.

Marli I hope this helps I am certianly still learning as it pertains to this issue. I will tell you that here at CF ther are people whom are able to clear up this is issue for us both.

Peace to u,

BBAS

Upvote 0

reformedfan

Senior Veteran
Dec 18, 2003
http://lightintheblack.co.uk/forum/portal.php
Visit site
✟12,904.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Read Romans 9.
At one time in church history, only the heretics denied double predestination. Augustine, Calvin, Luther, et. al. believed & preached it.
As far as God sending His children to hell, that never happens. All are not His children. Some are wolves, thieves, robbers: John 10. Some are goats, not sheep: Matt 25:31-46. There's God's chil'uns & God's enemies. The conversion of a soul reveals if they were His kids or enemies.
God, as sovereign Creator of all we see & don't see, has the right to do what He wants, and leaving vessels of wrath around to live their hell bound lives & demonstrate His mercy on some is something that pleases Him to do. Who is the pot to say to the potter, "why have you made me like this?" (Jeremiah somewhere)

Upvote 0

Dr Dex

Dec 27, 2003
Brookneal, VA
✟7,689.00
Faith
Protestant
marli said:

But from my personal beliefs, God wants to save all of His children, so why would He predestine some to hell? And if He gave us freedom to choose Him, and those who do are saved and always saved, why would He predestine at all? :confused:

Yo, Marli. :wave:

Calvinists (like me) do not believe that all men have the freedom to choose God. The reason man is not free is because of the extremely strong influence of sin in this world: because of sin the nature of man is corrupted. He cannot see the beauty of Christ.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor 1:18)

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor 2:14)

So, God is right there for all to see, and all of us have more than ample evidence of His existence, so all people are completely without excuse (Romans 1:20). Yet, God's general call to all people would always be refused. He says "come to me", and everybody -- left to themselves -- says "no".

The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside, They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one. (Psalm 14:2-3)

So, in order to glorify Christ, Who is to be the first of MANY brothers, God goes farther to save some. He sends His Spirit to those He chooses to overcome the corrupting influence of sin, so that these people are now free to see the beauty of Christ. Seeing this beauty, they now willingly come to Christ.

Jesus purchased the salvation of these people with His blood. His blood satisfies justice for those God is saving. The Spirit's role is to make practical what Jesus' atoning death purchased. That's why we that are in Christ have no basis for boasting: God did it all.

* The Father elected us, not based on anything to do with us, but His own purposes
* Jesus satisfied justice and the wrath that we deserve. We deserve nothing but Hell, yet Jesus (the Innocent One) bought our forgiveness with His own blood.
* The Spirit regenerates us, freeing us from the bondage of sin and opening our eyes to the gospel. This is what "Amazing Grace" is.

We come willingly, made that way by the power of God. He is every cause of our salvation. We are merely responding, drawn by the power of His love.

He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” (1 Cor 1:28-31)

So, to summarize my huge answer to your tiny question, God HAS TO PREDESTINE, or none of us would say "yes" to the gospel.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
marli said:
But from my personal beliefs, God wants to save all of His children, so why would He predestine some to hell?

None of God's children are predestined to hell. The point to take note of is that not all of those created are God's children.

And if He gave us freedom to choose Him, and those who do are saved and always saved, why would He predestine at all? :confused:

"Choosing" to accept the Lord as Savior after the Fall is not the byproduct of man's ability to make choices. Understanding man's fallen nature is extremely important to understanding God's grace. Fallen man, in his unregenerate state, considers God the enemy. Only when God regenerates us are we able to obey Him.

The concept of "double predestination" is one that must be viewed in this light. Natural/carnal man will never desire to serve the Lord in obedience so he never does. The natural, inherent ability to make choices does not indicate the moral ability to make any and all choice. Natural man, according to the Word, despises God and rebels in every thought of his heart. Those to whom God gives the grace of regeneration are made anew, with a heart that desires to serve the Lord in obedience. Those who are not regenerated do not have this desire. God does not work in fallen man a desire to rebel. The desire to rebel is already part of him as a child of wrath.

The difference in God's elect and the reprobate is found in the sovereign work of God. God actively works in the hearts of the elect. Conversely, in the hearts of the reprobate God is passive. He need not create a fresh desire to rebel. He just leaves them to their fallen nature and that nature dictates that they continue to rebel.

God bless

Upvote 0

puriteen18

Oct 25, 2003
Alabama
✟703.00
Faith
Anglican
marli said:
Double Predestination-the doctrine that God predestines some to heaven and some to hell.

Single Predestination-the doctrine that God predestines some to heaven and allows others to go to hell.

marli said:
Historically, early Protestants all beleived in God's soveriegn election. Historically, most Baptists have been Calvinists (excepting the practice of the sacraments). The few George Whitefield Methodists have always been Calvinistic, while the much more common Weslyan Methodist have been Arminian (i.e. Free-willers).

Some suggestions, get an Old Testament.
Study, study, study both Old and New Testaments.

You said that your personal beliefs would keep you from believing in predestination, so would mine if I hadn't found different in the Word of God. When I began to really study (especially Isaiah, the Gospels and Pauline Epsistles) I found that the 5-points (TULIP) are indeed Biblical doctrines.

It might also be good to study some church history.

I hope providence will lead you to the truth of God's Word.

Grace and Blessings be with you always!

Upvote 0
The great Welsh preacher D Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a fanatical defender of predestination and Calvinist teaching. Yet even he was humble enough to realise that those who do not understand or even reject this doctrine are still brothers and sisters in the Lord.

I heard this anecdote a few years ago. I think it was from "Chosen by God" by RC Sproul (a very good and easy introductory read on the subject).

Some people think that our spiritual situation is akin to jumping off a sinking ship. As we float and struggle, Jesus comes along in his boat and throws us a line to rescue us. Ultimately, it is we who decide whether to accept Jesus' saving offer. We grasp onto the rope and Jesus pulls us in. Others are thrown a rope but believe they can swim to shore - but drown.

I do not believe that this anecdote is Biblical.

I believe that when the boat sank, I fell into the water and drowned. My lifeless body drifted down to the bottom of the ocean. I had no power to save myself, nor resuscitate myself. Jesus then comes down and scoops me off the ocean floor. He drags my corpse into his boat and then he BLOWS NEW LIFE INTO ME. I didn't ask to be rescued, nor did I have any choice. Jesus rescued me and made me alive again.

Now I realise that this little story has its limits - for example, my drowning was my own fault and I deserved to die... but I think it is quite nifty.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is to reconcile God's power (He is omnipotent), His foreknowledge (nothing we do can surprise Him), and our free will (and hence personal responsibility). TULIP tries to do this.

I'm not sure anyone gets it quite perfect...

-- Radagast

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Radagast said:
I'm not sure anyone gets it quite perfect...

-- Radagast

Calvin (I believe) said, "at our very best we are only correct 80% of the time." Imagine the desparity that would set in if we were able to fully grasp the mind of God. The very idea that a created being, such as we, would be able to fully grasp all aspects of God's mind is not a satisfying one. It would make God no more than a bit smarter than the average bear. ;)

I'm truly glad that God's ways are above mine.

God bless

Upvote 0

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
marli
if you do find this reply of mine of the several others, well ill be happy.
i do not intend to debate this with anyone of the opposite belief of myne, but maybe i can shed some light on your questions.

just know that in certain circles you find a bubble and sometimes its hard to get out and find diffrent opinions, and just know that not everyone beleives the things that calvinists do, as you already know i guess.
but i do encourage you to study the scripture on a more regular basis and find a man or woman that you trust and have them help you understand, it will save you years of confusion.

i personally do not beleive what calvin did and do not believe that their is any person who God predestined to go to hell or didnt choose to receive grace.

the whole TULIP thing is very sticky but these are some few things that i beleive.

you said
But from my personal beliefs, God wants to save all of His children
i agree, but many would debate the word children as you have seen, but i believe it refers to all of humanity as well as you do.

1 timothy 2.4
who will have all men to be saved, and come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1 timothy 2.6
who gave himself a ransom for all...

i beleive that is clealry saying God died for every human and wills for every human to be saved. i do not beleive that any human is determined by God to go to hell.

though as you talk with people of the opposite beleif you hear a few say something to the extent that that word all doesnt have to refer to all mankind but rather refers to all of a certain group of mankind, they say the greek word can refer of a sub-group. such as he was for "ALL of those chosen to be saved" not simply all of all to be saved."

this is something i am skeptical of and i hope you are too.
and even if the word can be used that way at times, i think there are other scriptures that deny that teaching still.

like john 3.16 God so loved the world, not just a certain number of men on earth, though i think they say the same sort of thing about that word also.

and you said
And if He gave us freedom to choose Him, and those who do are saved and always saved, why would He predestine at all?
well it is clear from the bible there is truth to predestination, becuase the bible says we are predestined in the book of ephesians, and molded according to his will.

though i beleive this is simply refering to Gods desire for us.
i believe he predestined all men to be saved, and thats the only reason we can be saved, becuase he chose that for us. and that is why paul gave credit to his predestination, and not just his actions.
but i dont think paul was saying that he got saved becuase Gods predestination determined him to,

but becuase it allowed him to and that that is what his actions of any worth. he wasnt saying God forced salvation upon him, but rather that predestination is why he could be saved.

i dont think there is any great force determining our lives, or else people wouldnt be in hell, becuase i dont beleive God only died for some.

i think there is a great truth taught in hebrews ch3 and 4.

hebrews 4.1
Let us also therefor fear, lest a promise being left of us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

paul said that it is possible to have rest and salvation promised and intended for you by God, but you not enter into it becuase of things you either do or do not do, such as not beleive like it says ch 3.19.

many people say that some people rejecting Christ and going to hell, proves that God did not will for them to be saved and that God did not give them grace or they would have certainly received it and been saved.
but that cannot be true becuase here paul says it is fully possible for US today to come short and fail to receive the things God intended for us to have, mainly salvation. it is possible for us to be predestined to be saved, and have that promise over us, and yet never receive it.

that is why people to go hell, not becuase God never tried to intervene.

such as when Jesus said that he willed for all to come and take all under his wings like a mother hen and her children, speaking of the jews, yet they didnt come.
but it didnt mean and wasnt proof, that they werent chosen for salvation.

so no there is no great force that determines our lives and ends.
you will not do something just becuase God wills it to happen and gave you that promise, or else Jesus would not have said what he did about people whomed he willed to come to him but they didnt. and paul would not have said what he did when he mentioned taking caution lest we not receive the things promised to us.

i think predestination is only refering to his desire for us, but it doesnt have to come to pass becuase its up to us obeying and following, and many people are in hell today not becuase they werent promised heavon, but becuase they never reached it and never allowed it to be fullfilled in their lives.
i think he has predestined all men to be saved actually, becuase he died for us all and wills for us all to be saved so apparently that is what he wants for us.

i think it is possible to be predestined to be saved, but still go to hell.
becuase of what hebrews 4.1 and many other things say.

well if i helped im glad and i didnt ill be on my way,
keep your head up, and trust in the faithfulless and goodness of God!
to ALL PEOPLE!
well Godbless you.
Lee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

endure

Aug 27, 2002
georgia, sautee.
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Christian
oh...
marli
remember this if you will.

john 1.11-12
he came unto his own and his own received him not. but as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that beleive on his name.

in all thats being said in this thread.
i think it is clearly stated here Jesus came to people offering power, but some didnt receive it, and some did receive it, and to THEM.... he gave power to free themselves from the power and hold of sin and flesh and corruption.
but they had to recieve it first. there was something they had to do in accepting Christ before God gave them power. and it was only those who accepted him that he saved or, could save actually, but it is clear he came to more people than received him, and he offered it to more people than received him as well.
there was an act on their part, before they were saved and created into the sons of God, it was them receiving him.

it isnt that sin is so strong you dont have the power to be saved or even want God untill after God just makes you saved. you receiving him comes first, then you are saved. just like paul said you have to beleive, to then see the the end of the promise be yours. in hebrews 4.1

i know that satan has blinded the eyes of those who do not believe, and there is a real force keeping them from seeing or choosing.
and it does take God stripping off the blindness and loosing us from the chains of satan and sin and flesh for us to receive him becuase we cant discern without him.
but i believe grace does this for all people, and there is no person whom God doesnt quickly run to and do this for, and then, its up to them to receive it and then they will be saved. becuase he died for all and wills for all to be saved. just like God went out and came to those people...but they didnt receive it. he comes to all.

Upvote 0

PatrickM

What? You're not a Fightin' Irish fan????
Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dr Dex said:
Yo, Marli. :wave:

Calvinists (like me) do not believe that all men have the freedom to choose God. The reason man is not free is because of the extremely strong influence of sin in this world: because of sin the nature of man is corrupted. He cannot see the beauty of Christ.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Cor 1:18)

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor 2:14)

Doesn't Paul goes on to tell the Corinthians he could not speak to them as to spiritual people? So perhaps this context is not ability to see things regarding salvation, as the Corinthians he was writing to were saved, chpt 1:2, “To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints . . .”

So, God is right there for all to see, and all of us have more than ample evidence of His existence, so all people are completely without excuse (Romans 1:20). Yet, God's general call to all people would always be refused. He says "come to me", and everybody -- left to themselves -- says "no".

This doesn’t appear to be consistent. If they cannot come, how can they be completely without excuse? It’s out of their control, according to this.

And this is my point. They can see, but “those who perish, [do so] because they did not receive (not could not receive) the love of the truth, that they might be saved.” It is the love of the truth that saves.

The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God. They have all turned aside, They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one. (Psalm 14:2-3)

So, in order to glorify Christ, Who is to be the first of MANY brothers, God goes farther to save some. He sends His Spirit to those He chooses to overcome the corrupting influence of sin, so that these people are now free to see the beauty of Christ. Seeing this beauty, they now willingly come to Christ.

Does God, then, force certain people to be saved against their will, or nature? Though He saves “some”, it is His desire to save “all.” 1 Tim 2:4 “who (God) desires all men to be saved and (all men) to come to the knowledge of the truth.” This “desire” is not mere whistfully wishing. It is the same word translated “intending” in Luke 14:28 regarding counting cost. It is a strong desire with active intentions. This is not to say all will accept this, but God is doing all He can to provide so.

Jesus purchased the salvation of these people with His blood. His blood satisfies justice for those God is saving. The Spirit's role is to make practical what Jesus' atoning death purchased. That's why we that are in Christ have no basis for boasting: God did it all.

I believe Scripture states Jesus’ blood is for salvation of the whole world, not a select few. 1 John 2:2, “And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.”

His blood even was paid for the apostate, 2 Pet 2:1, “But there were also false prophets among the people, . . . even denying the Lord who bought them . . . “ This is not to say all will choose Him (that's a whole new subject!)

* The Father elected us, not based on anything to do with us, but His own purposes

Not anything to do with our “works”, other than “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”

* Jesus satisfied justice and the wrath that we deserve. We deserve nothing but Hell, yet Jesus (the Innocent One) bought our forgiveness with His own blood.
* The Spirit regenerates us, freeing us from the bondage of sin and opening our eyes to the gospel. This is what "Amazing Grace" is.

Amen and amen!

We come willingly, made that way by the power of God. He is every cause of our salvation. We are merely responding, drawn by the power of His love.

A bit confusing, for as I understand your statements above, we cannot even respond?

He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: “Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” (1 Cor 1:28-31)

Again, amen and amen!

So, to summarize my huge answer to your tiny question, God HAS TO PREDESTINE, or none of us would say "yes" to the gospel.

Predestined to what? Perhaps to obtain salvation when we believe? As He is under no obligation to save us, even if we do receive Christ, but He determined by His own purpose to save without works, merely on faith?

Just observations.

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
None of God's children are predestined to hell. The point to take note of is that not all of those created are God's children.

Indeed, a very misconstrued concept, however another subject!

"Choosing" to accept the Lord as Savior after the Fall is not the byproduct of man's ability to make choices.

Is God being rhetorical, then, when He “commands all men to repent,” Acts 17:30, if they, in fact, cannot?

Only when God regenerates us are we able to obey Him.

Regeneration, I believe, is the real question. According to 1 Pet 1:23, 25, we are regenerated (born again) by the incorruptible Word of God, which is preached to us.

And Romans 10:13,14 spells out the order. “For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” Peter answers by saying it is this word which they heard, believed and therefore called on the name of the Lord to be saved.

The concept of "double predestination" is one that must be viewed in this light. Natural/carnal man will never desire to serve the Lord in obedience so he never does.

The desire not to serve is true. However, choosing is still within the ability of unregenerate man, else all the “whosoevers” (John 3:16; 1:12, 13; Ro. 1:16; etc.) are words without meaning?

The natural, inherent ability to make choices does not indicate the moral ability to make any and all choice. Natural man, according to the Word, despises God and rebels in every thought of his heart.

Nowhere is the ability to choose expressed in this line of thinking. Merely the lack of ability to “do”.

Those to whom God gives the grace of regeneration are made anew, with a heart that desires to serve the Lord in obedience.

I’m not sure I know of any Scripture that mentions “grace of redemption”. I believe the opportunity to even have salvation is a grace of God, as He is under no obligation to save anyone, regardless of whether they have faith in His plan. It is His grace to provide such a way, of which we must receive in order to have appropriated.

Those who are not regenerated do not have this desire. God does not work in fallen man a desire to rebel. The desire to rebel is already part of him as a child of wrath.

True that.

The difference in God's elect and the reprobate is found in the sovereign work of God. God actively works in the hearts of the elect.

Is this against our will? Are we then forced to be saved, since we, by nature, do not want anything to do with God?

Conversely, in the hearts of the reprobate God is passive. He need not create a fresh desire to rebel. He just leaves them to their fallen nature and that nature dictates that they continue to rebel.

Again, is God being rhetorical, then, when He “desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth”?

“Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?” (Gen 18:25), in both word and deed?

However, by not acting in behalf of the “others” He does not choose, He logically is making a choice. For instance, assume there are two objects on a table. Both are to be thrown away. I choose to take one of objects off the table, putting it in my pocket. By deductive reasoning, I, knowingly, am choosing to leave the other on the table to be thrown away.

Truly, just some observations.

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PatrickM said:
Is God being rhetorical, then, when He ?commands all men to repent,? Acts 17:30, if they, in fact, cannot?

Of course not. It's a common, though unfortunate, theological leap that many make in assuming that the commands of a righteous God indicate ability on the part of the commanded. For example, God commands us to not sin. Have you ever met anyone, no matter how devout, that did not sin? Granted, the fact that no one is sinless does not necessarily indicate that we are incapable of sinlessness. However, when considering the Lord's command to refrain from sinfulness we must also, and equally, acknowledge His announcement that none are without sin and if we say we are the Truth is not in us (1 John 1:8). What should we assume, that God is commanding of us the impossible? No. On the contrary, we should draw from this knowledge the understanding that God is righteous and thus His commands are righteous. Would we feel better if God said, "Try as hard as you can to refrain from sinfulness but if you fail don't feel so bad about it because everyone does it?" I personally believe that such a statement would seem incongruous when coupled with my understanding of God's holiness. No Patrick, the command for all men to repent does not indicate ability or the need for the statement to be taken rhetorically. It is a holy command given by a holy God.

Regeneration, I believe, is the real question. According to 1 Pet 1:23, 25, we are regenerated (born again) by the incorruptible Word of God, which is preached to us.

Agreed. However, the "we" must be qualified just as the audience is qualified in 1 Peter:

1 Peter 1:1,2
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ

Not all are born again by the Word of God nor is the audience in 1 Peter mankind as a whole. Would you say this is by design or by happenstance Patrick? Shall we attribute God's ability to gather His flock unto Himself to the coincidence that man autonomously hears and believes the Gospel or should we rightly acknowledge that God is able to bring to pass whatsoever He has willed in eternity.

And Romans 10:13,14 spells out the order. ?For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?? Peter answers by saying it is this word which they heard, believed and therefore called on the name of the Lord to be saved.

So, according to the verse you post, to be saved one must first hear the preaching of the Word, believe the Truth of that preaching, and then call upon the name of the Lord, right? If that's an accurate representation of your point please clarify some things for me. First, who controls who hears the Word? Second, why do some who hear the message believe it when others, who hear the exact same message, reject it? And lastly, is it your contention that our "calling on the name of the Lord" is sufficient in obligating God to save us?

The desire not to serve is true. However, choosing is still within the ability of unregenerate man, else all the ?whosoevers? (John 3:16; 1:12, 13; Ro. 1:16; etc.) are words without meaning?

This is the mindframe that I find most unsettling amongst my fellow Christians; The idea that if the Gospel isn't about us, and our being redeemed, then it is worthless. On the contrary, the "whosoevers" are meaningful because they represent the manifestation of God's grace in bringing glory to His Son. You see Patrick, the Gospel is a reflection of His glory, not His hope for glory. The "whosoevers" represent His ability to bring about His plan. They do not represent the idea of man's freedom. The "whosoevers" do His will because He is capable in gathering His flock, who have been spread all over the place. What we should feel about our role in this is humilty and greatfulness for being allowed to participate in God's gathering of His children. What we should never feel is that it was by our power, be it preaching or the example of our conduct, that "whosoever" believes actually does. Those who do believe are those to whom the Lord has given ears to hear and eyes to see and hearts of flesh that desire His Lordship.

Nowhere is the ability to choose expressed in this line of thinking.

Wow. That's a bold statement. However, I will share with you verse that expresses just that very thing:

Romans 8:7
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

Is the mind of a carnal man unable to submit to the Law of God because God forces him to disobey? Of course not. The carnal man views God, and His Law, as the enemy. The heart of unregenerate man is deceitful and wicked and cannot submit to the Law of God because the carnal mind never desires to obey God, at least not out of faith.

Merely the lack of ability to ?do?.

I don't know what you mean by this statement. Are you just saying that "the lack of ability to do" is the only way in which the Bible expresses man's ability to choose?

I?m not sure I know of any Scripture that mentions ?grace of redemption?.

Although I am very content to view redemption as the product of God's grace I am curious who mentioned the "grace of redemption?" I said regeneration.

I believe the opportunity to even have salvation is a grace of God, as He is under no obligation to save anyone, regardless of whether they have faith in His plan. It is His grace to provide such a way, of which we must receive in order to have appropriated.

What leads you to believe salvation is an "opportunity?" Also, if you believe that God merely provided a "way" to be saved, to what do you attribute the credit for those who actually do avail themselves of that "opportunity?" Were they smarter?

Is this against our will? Are we then forced to be saved, since we, by nature, do not want anything to do with God?

Ahhh...the operative question for free will advocates when considering any belief, did it happen with my cooperation or was it something that was "against my will?" I will make it as simple as I possibly can. Our will, in it's unregenerate state, never wills to obey God. Why is this? Do we never harbor a desire to obey because God makes us want to disobey? Of course not. A desire to disobey is our natural inclination. This is something to which even you affirm with your contemporary, "True that." With that understanding of our inherent and absolute obstinacy we are then able to understand that something must change for us to embrace, and obey, the Gospel. I will assure you that God's monergistic work of regeneration is not rooted in His omnipotence, though He is certainly within His rights to overcome us in this way. His work of regeneration, wherein He removes our heart of stone and replaces it with a heart of flesh, is rooted in His love. So, in answer to your question, "Is this against our will" I would have to say no. God gives us a heart that desires to do His will. Thanks to this desire, and the continuing grace of God through the indwelling of His Spirit, we do obey.

Again, is God being rhetorical, then, when He ?desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth??

Prooftexting will never solve interpretive difficulties. God is neither being rhetorical in His desires nor ambivilent in obtaining His heart's desire. All whom God desire to be saved shall be saved. The sheep of the Lord know His voice and they follow Him. Those who are not His sheep will continue to walk according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air and will continue to be children of wrath.

?Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?? (Gen 18:25), in both word and deed?

And what's "right" with regard to the creation of His hands? Is it your's to say? Please tell me Patrick, what would be the "right" thing for God to do?

However, by not acting in behalf of the ?others? He does not choose, He logically is making a choice. For instance, assume there are two objects on a table. Both are to be thrown away. I choose to take one of objects off the table, putting it in my pocket. By deductive reasoning, I, knowingly, am choosing to leave the other on the table to be thrown away.

And I take it you have a problem with the idea that God "leaves some on the table to be thrown away," despite the fact that the Bible relays that dishonor and destruction are the very purpose for which some are created?

Truly, just some observations.

I hope that you will continue to "observe" as well as respond.

God bless

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Quote: Originally Posted by: PatrickM Is God being rhetorical, then, when He ?commands all men to repent,? Acts 17:30, if they, in fact, cannot?

Of course not. It's a common, though unfortunate, theological leap that many make in assuming that the commands of a righteous God indicate ability on the part of the commanded.

This sounds like double-speak to me. With temptation, God says He will provide a way to escape that we may be able to bear it (1 Cor. 10:13), so why is it a leap to assume if God commands us to do something, we actually have the ability to do it? If I told my 1 month old son to walk, wouldn’t it be rather illogical for me to do so, since he does not have the ability? I think it is rather obvious that if God commands something, it is because He desires, nay, expects His command to be obeyed.

For example, God commands us to not sin. Have you ever met anyone, no matter how devout, that did not sin? Granted, the fact that no one is sinless does not necessarily indicate that we are incapable of sinlessness. However, when considering the Lord's command to refrain from sinfulness we must also, and equally, acknowledge His announcement that none are without sin and if we say we are the Truth is not in us (1 John 1:8). What should we assume, that God is commanding of us the impossible? No. On the contrary, we should draw from this knowledge the understanding that God is righteous and thus His commands are righteous.

This is absolutely true. However, just because we choose to sin, it does not mean we do not have the ability to refrain from sin. Of course we do sin, no disagreement there, as you quoted in 1 John. But does this mean we cannot avoid sinning, simply because we do sin?

Would we feel better if God said, "Try as hard as you can to refrain from sinfulness but if you fail don't feel so bad about it because everyone does it?" I personally believe that such a statement would seem incongruous when coupled with my understanding of God's holiness. No Patrick, the command for all men to repent does not indicate ability or the need for the statement to be taken rhetorically. It is a holy command given by a holy God.

This is, again, not my point at all. Of course we should not sin, but this is just my point. Because we should avoid sin, we must have the ability to do so. Because we don’t avoid sin justifies my point that we have a choice to do or not to. Just as God commands ALL men to repent, and they have the choice to obey or not.

Quote: Regeneration, I believe, is the real question. According to 1 Pet 1:23, 25, we are regenerated (born again) by the incorruptible Word of God, which is preached to us.

Agreed. However, the "we" must be qualified just as the audience is qualified in 1 Peter:

1 Peter 1:1,2 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ

Not all are born again by the Word of God nor is the audience in 1 Peter mankind as a whole.

I agree the audience was not mankind as a whole. That type of thinking would amount to Universalism. That all are born again or not was not my point. But in the light of vs 23, “having been born again, not by corruptible seed, but incorruptible through the Word of God,” how can you say we are not born again by the Word of God? That we who are born again are so by the “incorruptible Word of God, and this is the word which was preached to you”, vs is the point. We are regenerated, obviously, by the Word of God, as the sentence structure clearly points out.

Would you say this is by design or by happenstance Patrick? Shall we attribute God's ability to gather His flock unto Himself to the coincidence that man autonomously hears and believes the Gospel or should we rightly acknowledge that God is able to bring to pass whatsoever He has willed in eternity.

The provision for salvation is, indeed, not happenstance, but by design. Jesus is the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, Rev 13:8. It is the application of this provision which is based on the choice of the lost.

It is not a question of God's ability to gather everyone if He chose to do so. Before He even created anything, He chose to offer salvation as a free gift, and predetermined that whoever would believe in His Son's salvific act would therefore be saved. He knew, before the world was created, who would or would not receive this gift, and freely predicated His actions accordingly. This is to the praise of His glory, that He would not force anything upon us, but allow us to freely love Him.

Do you believe He caused Adam to sin in the garden? Was it not Adam's free will to do so? Indeed He foreknew such, and His actions before even creating the world reflect such, but was Adam's sin a causal event by God?

My contention is that we attribute glory to God alone, for providing the way of salvation to all who would believe. Our believing does not provide for salvation, it is according to His provision, and His provision alone that makes anyone’s salvation possible.

If someone were to give me a million dollars, and I accepted this gift, it would be hypocritical of me to turn around and proclaim, “Look what I just did! I made a million dollars!” However, I must gratefully accept this gift initiated by someone else, or the gift is of none effect to me. There is no exercise of power, or conduct in such an instance, merely passive reception.

Quote: And Romans 10:13,14 spells out the order. ?For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?? Peter answers by saying it is this word which they heard, believed and therefore called on the name of the Lord to be saved.

So, according to the verse you post, to be saved one must first hear the preaching of the Word, believe the Truth of that preaching, and then call upon the name of the Lord, right? If that's an accurate representation of your point please clarify some things for me.

Well, is this not, in plain language, what these verses state?

First, who controls who hears the Word?

I don’t see that control of who hears is mentioned, or even matters, in these verses. However, there has been instances where it was out of Jesus’ control to perform miracles because of the people’s unbelief. Matt 13:58, “Now He (Jesus) did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief.” It appears as if Jesus’ actions were predicated upon man’s faith in this verse.

Second, why do some who hear the message believe it when others, who hear the exact same message, reject it?

As Scripture points out, some of the “whys” of God are not revealed to us. What is obvious is that some accept the message, and some do not.

And lastly, is it your contention that our "calling on the name of the Lord" is sufficient in obligating God to save us?

Well, it is rather plain in the language of vs 13 isn’t it? “For ‘whoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’” I don’t understand the confusion of these words. Further, it is God’s choice to obligate Himself, according to His own words above. Do you think there is more to be done?

Quote: The desire not to serve is true. However, choosing is still within the ability of unregenerate man, else all the “whosoevers” (John 3:16; 1:12, 13; Ro. 1:16; etc.) are words without meaning?

This is the mindframe that I find most unsettling amongst my fellow Christians; The idea that if the Gospel isn't about us, and our being redeemed, then it is worthless. On the contrary, the "whosoevers" are meaningful because they represent the manifestation of God's grace in bringing glory to His Son. You see Patrick, the Gospel is a reflection of His glory, not His hope for glory.

To use your earlier statement, this is a theological leap by inferring that we who believe in free-will to choose somehow cheapen God’s great plan of salvation. It is building a straw man argument. I bow in humble adoration to God for His marvelous plan; that without it, I would be eternally lost. It is nothing about me, it is about Jesus suffering and dieing for my sins.

I do not see the connection between asking who the “whosoevers” are and making God’s wondrous salvation “worthless”? My question, again, is if it is not within the ability of fallen man to merely choose to accept God’s salvation, then why is the term “whoever” used?

Why not say for John 3:16, for instance, “. . . that those given the ability to believe in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.”? Does not this more accurately describe your view? Why did the Holy Spirit use “whoever” so much?

The "whosoevers" represent His ability to bring about His plan. They do not represent the idea of man's freedom.

But this is the exact definition of “whoever.” “Whoever” does not delineate, nor exclude anybody. Either we use simple definitions using plain language, or we fall prey to anyone’s “interpretation” of such things as what the definition of “is” is.

The "whosoevers" do His will because He is capable in gathering His flock, who have been spread all over the place. What we should feel about our role in this is humilty and greatfulness for being allowed to participate in God's gathering of His children.

I believe I have addressed my humble greatfulness to God in providing the way of salvation many times.

What we should never feel is that it was by our power, be it preaching or the example of our conduct, that "whosoever" believes actually does.

Absolutely! The Word is plain that salvation has nothing to do with our power, or conduct! But having faith is never defined in Scripture as a work. As a matter of fact, the difference between faith and works is the main subject of James chapter 2.

Quote: Is this against our will? Are we then forced to be saved, since we, by nature, do not want anything to do with God?

Ahhh...the operative question for free will advocates when considering any belief, did it happen with my cooperation or was it something that was "against my will?" I will make it as simple as I possibly can. Our will, in it's unregenerate state, never wills to obey God. Why is this? Do we never harbor a desire to obey because God makes us want to disobey? Of course not. A desire to disobey is our natural inclination. This is something to which even you affirm with your contemporary, "True that." With that understanding of our inherent and absolute obstinacy we are then able to understand that something must change for us to embrace, and obey, the Gospel.

All your reaffirming of man’s natural state to disobey God seems to reinforce the notion that if we don’t voluntarily choose to believe (no work or power, simply faith), then this work of God is, by your definition of our nature, against our nature, hence against our will, hence is forced upon us. This is the only logical conclusion if you take our free choice out of the picture.

His work of regeneration, wherein He removes our heart of stone and replaces it with a heart of flesh, is rooted in His love. So, in answer to your question, "Is this against our will" I would have to say no. God gives us a heart that desires to do His will.

But if He removes my heart of stone without my asking, it is against my will. God gives me something that, by nature, I wasn’t desiring. He changes me without me asking. Sounds like coercesion to me. Don’t get me wrong, I believe God does all these things, but He does not do them without us asking. “You have not because you ask not.” Jas 4:2b. And, again, it is not a matter of what God can or cannot do, but of what God chooses to do or not do.

Again, is God being rhetorical, then, when He ?desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth??

Prooftexting will never solve interpretive difficulties. God is neither being rhetorical in His desires nor ambivilent in obtaining His heart's desire. All whom God desire to be saved shall be saved. The sheep of the Lord know His voice and they follow Him. Those who are not His sheep will continue to walk according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air and will continue to be children of wrath.

It is not “prooftexting”, to use plain definitions to define plain language. Nor is it any interpretive difficulty if you simply take the words as they mean. The word “all” means “every, to exclusion of none.” This is plain language. Using simple language, this must mean God desires all men, to the exclusion of none, to be saved. And if He, as you interpret, really only desires some to be saved, why not say such? “God desires only those who He chooses to be saved.” This would be rather redundant, however, wouldn’t it? As omnipotent, He never does something He does not desire to.

Quote: ?Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?? (Gen 18:25), in both word and deed?

And what's "right" with regard to the creation of His hands? Is it your's to say? Please tell me Patrick, what would be the "right" thing for God to do?

What is right is to mean what God says, and to say what He means. If he says whoever, He means whoever. He does not use hidden or confusing language. That’s what “right” means.

As to your subtle, condescending implication that I would dare to tell God what is right or wrong, I was referencing the verse in Gen.18:25 to show you that God does, indeed, do what is just and right. Therefore, He does not arbitrarily choose some people to salvation, and therefore choose others to go to hell.

And I take it you have a problem with the idea that God "leaves some on the table to be thrown away," despite the fact that the Bible relays that dishonor and destruction are the very purpose for which some are created?

I have humble respect that God can, and does as He chooses. Again, you imply something that I am not saying. It appears the question really is what does God choose to do? Does He say whoever believes in Him, by simply calling on the name of the Lord, shall be saved, and mean just this, or does He say one thing, and really, by implication and interpretation, mean something totally different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PatrickM said:
This sounds like double-speak to me.

Sorry to hear that.

With temptation, God says He will provide a way to escape that we may be able to bear it (1 Cor. 10:13)

For God's sake Patrick, try reading Scripture IN CONTEXT. The entire first chapter qualifies for whom God will provide a way. This discussion is going to be nothing but muddled if you persist in prooftexting. Look:

1 Corinthians 1:2
To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours

This isn't an isolated qualification of the audience. Look:

1 Corinthians 1:4-8
I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus, that you were enriched in everything by Him in all utterance and all knowledge, even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you, so that you come short in no gift, eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will also confirm you to the end, that you may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Does the description of "eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ" seem apt for all mankind? I certainly hope your desire to maintain your beliefs does not require that of you.

And if those verses don't do anything to convince you of your incorrect understanding of I can only encourage you to take note of verse 18 of the first chapter:

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Patrick, if you continue to ignore these clear signs that verses like 10:13 are actually not a universal reference but rather clearly qualified, then this will continue to be nothing more than a pointless volley of debate.

so why is it a leap to assume if God commands us to do something, we actually have the ability to do it?

Before this goes any further let me clarify my position so that you can at least be clear on what it is that you disagree with.

I believe it is important to recognize the distinction in man's nature with regard to his ability. First off, man has the natural ability to do certain things. He can reason, decide, make choices, act within the bounds of his limitations, etc. Again, that is his natural ability. This was not lost in the Fall. After the Fall man retains the ability to make choices and act on those choices within the bounds of his limitations. Secondly, we must acknowledge man's moral ability. Man's moral ability, unlike his natural ability, was affected in the Fall. It is this moral suasion that truly controls man. I believe that man can naturally choose any option available to them. They cannot, however, make all of those choices because they are morally bound by their corrupted desires. So, when I say that some people don't have the ability to choose to obey God I am saying that, while unregenerate man has the natural ability to obey God, he is morally incapable of doing so.

If I told my 1 month old son to walk, wouldn?t it be rather illogical for me to do so, since he does not have the ability?

Riiiiight. And you're God? Oh that's right...you're not. There is no use in drawing a parallel between yourself and God. God is not a sinner. You are. God is not impotent. You are. God is always righteous. You are not. Please do not employ the unscholarly mistake of trying to explain God by using your own created attributes.

I think it is rather obvious that if God commands something, it is because He desires, nay, expects His command to be obeyed.

Of course He expects His commands to be obeyed, but not in the sense that you are implying. He doesn't expect it as you and I "expect" something to happen. It's not as if God doesn't know whether someone will obey. He commands of us righteous conduct because He is righteous and would command nothing other than righteous conduct. The thing that we, as His disciples, should acknowledge is that the reason we obey is because God, not only expects us to obey, but ensures that we obey.

This is absolutely true. However, just because we choose to sin, it does not mean we do not have the ability to refrain from sin. Of course we do sin, no disagreement there, as you quoted in 1 John. But does this mean we cannot avoid sinning, simply because we do sin?

I would say that's plainly obvious. You ever know anyone that doesn't sin?

Because we should avoid sin, we must have the ability to do so.

I would be more than happy to believe you. All I need is for you to present me with one example of a person, aside from Christ of course, that doesn't sin. Oh, and then explain how you know they don't sin, of course.

Because we don?t avoid sin justifies my point that we have a choice to do or not to.

This type of assumption is exactly what I was talking about. When we sin we, as beings created with the ability to make choices, do make the choice to sin. In our unregenerate state that is the only choice we make. I'm not advocating a belief of not having a choice, but rather that the choices of an unregenerate person are always sinful because they are motivated by sinful desires. This is the difference between the natural ability to make choices, and the moral limitations of their fallenness.

Just as God commands ALL men to repent, and they have the choice to obey or not.

So tell me Patrick, if all have the ability to obey/repent, why do some do it and some don't?

I agree the audience was not mankind as a whole. That type of thinking would amount to Universalism. That all are born again or not was not my point. But in the light of vs 23, ?having been born again, not by corruptible seed, but incorruptible through the Word of God,? how can you say we are not born again by the Word of God?

Wait. There are many things that need to be clarified here. First, you seem to be making a distinction between universalism, which you don't seem to support, and that some are actually born again by the Word of God. Is that correct? If so, let me assure you, I agree with this, at least in this form. Secondly, I am not quite sure I understand what you mean by "born again by the Word of God." Thirdly, when you say "we are born again by the Word of God," who is "we?" And lastly, who said I disagreed?

You respectfully answered my post in it's entirity and I would ask you to allow me to do the same with your post. However, it is quite late and this is a very involved topic so I must address the rest of it tomorrow.

God bless

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Dear reformationist,
I am saddened that you must resort to childish sarcasim to try to disprove my opinions. This is going no where. Perhaps, as you so eloquently implied, I am not as scholarly as you. We'll leave that for God to judge.

This has become a striving about words, to no profit. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. I do hope you can learn to speak the truth in love, more.

In His Love,
PatrickM

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PatrickM said:
Dear reformationist,
I am saddened that you must resort to childish sarcasim to try to disprove my opinions. This is going no where. Perhaps, as you so eloquently implied, I am not as scholarly as you. We'll leave that for God to judge.

This has become a striving about words, to no profit. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. I do hope you can learn to speak the truth in love, more.

In His Love,
PatrickM

In my zeal to make my points it is clear, by your response, that I have offended you. I apologize. I do so wish people weren't so thin-skinned on this MB but it is an electronic community where the tone of a response is often taken in a much harsher way than intended. I believe that was the case this time. I will try to be more gentle in my dealings with you in the future.

God bless

Upvote 0

PatrickM

Jan 8, 2004
Utah now!
✟9,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Reformationist said:
In my zeal to make my points it is clear, by your response, that I have offended you. I apologize. I do so wish people weren't so thin-skinned on this MB but it is an electronic community where the tone of a response is often taken in a much harsher way than intended. I believe that was the case this time. I will try to be more gentle in my dealings with you in the future.

God bless

Offended? Far from it. In my lifetime I've heard far worse. But that was before Christ. As I said, saddened.

Peolpe on this mb thin-skinned? Try Christ-like. Above all else, this should be our ultimate, not zeal to win arguments.

"You shall know them by their fruits", and perhaps know their doctrine by the same?

"And the servant of the Lord must not strive, but be gentle, apt to teach, patient . . ." 2 Tim 2:24

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PatrickM said:
Offended? Far from it. In my lifetime I've heard far worse. But that was before Christ. As I said, saddened.

Again, my apologies for saddening you.

Peolpe on this mb thin-skinned? Try Christ-like.

LOL! If you say so.

Above all else, this should be our ultimate, not zeal to win arguments.

Agreed. Hence, my apology.

"You shall know them by their fruits", and perhaps know their doctrine by the same?

In my experience the fruits displayed are not necessarily concordant with with the truth of a person's beliefs. I have met many self controlled athiests but would not begin to consider their beliefs accurate, regardless of their behavior.

God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.