Question 4 Catholics: What is going on in side the RCC with the Pope.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I came across a video by some Big Catholic official Denouncing Bishop Francis. Calling him an Apostate and a Heretic, WOW!!!! As a non-catholic outsider, I find this very interesting. The internal drama of different churches is fascinating, the Methodist Drama, The SDA Drama, and the Scientology drama are all amazing. The Catholic church drama is equally amazing.

Now, the bishop was talking about irregularities in the election of Pope Francis. That his election was illegitimate, implying it was fraudulent. He also states that Francis was trying to "destroy the church" "Hi a a Bergolio I am here to destroy the church vote for me". Those are some pretty hard statements. What is this about? What are the issues? What is the big deal with the TLM. Why does that matter?

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A lot of people like to attack the Pope because they misinterpret what he says or the media misinterpets what he says.

The Traditional Latin Mass is very beautiful and should be preserved.

God bless

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Archbishop Vigano apparently has a track record of this kind of thing.
Oh this has been going on since our first pope. St. Peter was chastised by St. Paul as per the Galatians.

Paul Rebukes Peter at Antioch
Galatians 2:11-13 11 But when Cephas came to Antioch I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he ate with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And with him the rest of the Jews acted insincerely, so that even Barnabas was carried away by their insincerity. RSVCE

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh this has been going on since our first pope. St. Peter was chastised by St. Paul as per the Galatians.

Paul Rebukes Peter at Antioch
Galatians 2:11-13 11 But when Cephas came to Antioch I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he ate with the Gentiles; but when they came he drew back and separated himself, fearing the circumcision party. 13 And with him the rest of the Jews acted insincerely, so that even Barnabas was carried away by their insincerity. RSVCE

Quite true. It is a standard product of human nature and appears in each and every human institution including both politics and religion. Thus, I find it absurd when any branch of Christianity claims for itself complete and total unity. BTW, Paul won the argument with Peter.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Quite true. It is a standard product of human nature and appears in each and every human institution including both politics and religion. Thus, I find it absurd when any branch of Christianity claims for itself complete and total unity. BTW, Paul won the argument with Peter.
I disagree with Pope Francis on the way he handles many things, from China and politics to LGBTQ issues. But I love his message of the compassion and mercy of Jesus and how we should treat our fellow man. It is the duty of bishops to speak up if they believe the teachings of the Catholic Church are not being followed.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I disagree with Pope Francis on the way he handles many things, from China and politics to LGBTQ issues. But I love his message of the compassion and mercy of Jesus and how we should treat our fellow man. It is the duty of bishops to speak up if they believe the teachings of the Catholic Church are not being followed.
Yes, Pope Francis is hardly a two-dimensional man. I was surprised when the bishop denounced him so publicly and in such a mean spirit. I would hope that all Christians would be keen to emulate Pope Francis' compassion and mercy. His is no small task in leading a major branch of the Christian faith. We all should pray that he might have God's wisdom and grace.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is kind of shocking. i have never heard a public denouncement of a setting Pope like this before. i know people complain, but this is a whole other level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
well that didn't go well for vigano, but what did you think was going to happen?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I came across a video by some Big Catholic official Denouncing Bishop Francis. Calling him an Apostate and a Heretic, WOW!!!! As a non-catholic outsider, I find this very interesting. The internal drama of different churches is fascinating, the Methodist Drama, The SDA Drama, and the Scientology drama are all amazing. The Catholic church drama is equally amazing.

Now, the bishop was talking about irregularities in the election of Pope Francis. That his election was illegitimate, implying it was fraudulent. He also states that Francis was trying to "destroy the church" "Hi a a Bergolio I am here to destroy the church vote for me". Those are some pretty hard statements. What is this about? What are the issues? What is the big deal with the TLM. Why does that matter?

Well I feel compelled to point out that Scientology despite its claims to the contrary is not a Church and has nothing to do with Jesus Christ, and frankly I wish you would not enumerate it in a list that includes the Roman Catholic Church that helped win for us the repeal of Roe v. Wade, and that I love so much, the Methodist Church with which I have very strong personal connections and care for greatly, especially when the fullness of Wesleyan theology in its dignified synthesis of Anglican liturgy and Eastern Orthodox sacramental theology and soteriology is developed, and also the Seventh Day Adventist church which I pray for as a Christian denomination that faces challenges but has great potential and many kind and loving members, together with Scientology, because one of these things is not like the other. It’s like the religious equivalent of counting “1, 2, Banana, 4”

To put it another way, I am confident of the ability of people to be saved in Catholic, Methodist, Adventist and other Christian churches. Scientology on the other hand seems a good way to commit soul-destroying apostasy and in some respects seems close to devil worship.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

There is a ton of false rubbish spouted about Pope Francis. If you want to see the real truth, look at 'Reason & Theology' on youtube. There all the rubbish about Pope Francis is debunked and explained away.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is a ton of false rubbish spouted about Pope Francis. If you want to see the real truth, look at 'Reason & Theology' on youtube. There all the rubbish about Pope Francis is debunked and explained away.
The problem is not the fact that it was a ton of false rubbish, but that it came from a bishop of the Catholic Church. One would expect such rubbish from extreme anti-Catholic sources or, possibly, some fringe groups within Catholicism itself, but never from a priest, much less a bishop.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem is not the fact that it was a ton of false rubbish, but that it came from a bishop of the Catholic Church. One would expect such rubbish from extreme anti-Catholic sources or, possibly, some fringe groups within Catholicism itself, but never from a priest, much less a bishop.
Once you get to over a billion members it should not be so surprising. Sometimes age can effect mental faculties, many a bishop, or a priest or even a pope, can be in the wrong.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
that is why this is such a big deal, this in side stuff.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

There are many clergy in the CC who are causing waves and spreading misinformation...

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Once you get to over a billion members it should not be so surprising. Sometimes age can effect mental faculties, many a bishop, or a priest or even a pope, can be in the wrong.

This is true. Even in the Orthodox Church I am aware of an eccentric bishop who had been something of an episcopi vagante but was received into a major jurisdiction as a retired bishop, as an act of kindness, but who then proceeded to make erroneous statements concerning a major issue relating to sexual morality, and had to be told by the Metropolitan of that jurisdiction to no longer speak about that issue (since the Orthodox Church by receiving him as a retired bishop had done him a great kindness by providing him with health insurance, a pension and so on, and the confusion he was causing by making erroneous statements on this subject that scandalized the faithful was a problem, and it was quite discourteous of him as well, when you think about it.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,054.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There are many clergy in the CC who are causing waves and spreading misinformation...
Sadly, this is true. A good Catholic friend of mine who lives in a small rural parish has told me about some of the stuff various priests have said over the years in his church which flatly contradict Catholic doctrines.

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0