Queer eye for the straight guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Omnedon

sweetkitty said:
I followed the link..it is another forum that has a discussion board...so what? It has no bearing because it is just more opinions.

As I said - you didn't read it. Here are two of the scientific articles discussed:

http://duke.usask.ca/~elias/left/genetics.htm
http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2001/12/121001_lefthanded.jhtml

In addition,the discussion touches on the state of research, and how multiple genes can combine to express a final result in an organism. These are not just "opinions". This is a description of how genetics works - which is valuable when people toss around the idea of genetic origins of homosexuality.

I can't believe that you missed all this - so I have to conclude you did so deliberately.

But as I said - there are 15 or 20 other links out there - if you're truly interested in studying this. If not, there are many other forums out there to choose from.

Upvote 0
O

Omnedon

Inspired said:
I followed the link and there in the thread are several sources cited on DNA and gene data that has been gathered.

Yep.

And here are 11 other such threads, all discussing the same topic. All very relevant:

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/search.php?...d=121446&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Seems to me that anyone claiming that any such link has been "disproven" ought to be familiar with the state of modern research on the topic.

Assuming, of course, that a search for truth is actually the goal. For some people, that's obviously not the case. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Omnedon said:
As I said - you didn't read it. Here are two of the scientific articles discussed:

In addition,the discussion touches on the state of research, and how multiple genes can combine to express a final result in an organism. These are not just "opinions". This is a description of how genetics works - which is valuable when people toss around the idea of genetic origins of homosexuality.

I can't believe that you missed all this - so I have to conclude you did so deliberately.

But as I said - there are 15 or 20 other links out there - if you're truly interested in studying this. If not, there are many other forums out there to choose from.

The point I was trying to make to you is that linking to another forum is just silly...why not just link the pertinent websites. I don't have the time or the patience to scroll through posts on another message board just to find the links you should've have posted to begin with.
I have also read enough to know that the gay gene was debunked some time ago.

Upvote 0
O

Omnedon

sweetkitty said:
The point I was trying to make to you is that linking to another forum is just silly...why not just link the pertinent websites.

I got your point. But your point was nonsense.

The discussions are useful because they raise the same questions, and answer them very thoughtfully. And what's more - many of the individauls who participated in those threads are involved in medicine, psychology, or population genetics. So they're not speaking from random out-of-the-blue opinion.

I guess I thought you were actually interested in the topic. Silly me. :rolleyes:

I don't have the time or the patience to scroll through posts on another message board just to find the links you should've have posted to begin with.
"Don't have the time" - then why are you in this discussion in the first place?

"Don't have the time" - sheesh. That only demonstrates how shallow your investigation is. A discussion of an issue can be an excellent way to learn about a topic. That's why there are such things as debates and peer review of scientific papers. And that's why people lurk on bulletin board systems like this one - because they learn a lot from the give-and-take of the exchange. Discussion is an excellent way to become educated on a topic.

No, your real complaint isn't that you "don't have the time". You real complaint is that you don't want to do the hard work of really educating yourself on the topic. And you're a little bit afraid of upsetting your poorly informed opinion on the "gay gene" topic.

You obviously don't know the material at all, then - no wonder you weren't so eager to follow the discussion on the other board.

Yea - I knew what your position was beforehand. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Omnedon said:
You obviously don't know the material at all, then - no wonder you weren't so eager to follow the discussion on the other board.

Yea - I knew what your position was beforehand. :rolleyes:

I didn't want to follow the discussion on another board because I'm on THIS board. And I do know the material...as I said the so called gay gene was debunked. You can be as insulting as you feel you need to be but that doesn't change that FACT.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetkitty said:
I don't have the time...

And yet you have the time to come on this message board devoting all your time to this topic given that the vast majority of your couple hundred posts with very few exception are about complaining about homosexuality. You certainly do seem to devote plenty of time to the topic already. It's not that you don't have the time, rather it's that you need to excuse your bigotry at all costs. Your obsession with the topic is clear--only if it's in support of religious propaganda.

False, especially considering the entire human genome has yet to actually be decoded.

Plenty of links have been provided including three abstracts from scientific papers by myself indicating that homosexuality is at least mostly biological in origin. That's also what one would learn by taking a course in biopsychology at a university. It's also the position of every single medical and behavioral science institution in the country.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetkitty said:
I didn't want to follow the discussion on another board because I'm on THIS board. And I do know the material...as I said the so called gay gene was debunked. You can be as insulting as you feel you need to be but that doesn't change that FACT.

That is in no way a fact, and you are clearly oversimplifying genetics to construct a meaningless strawman argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mechanical Bliss said:
And yet you have the time to come on this message board devoting all your time to this topic given that the vast majority of your couple hundred posts with very few exception are about complaining about homosexuality. You certainly do seem to devote plenty of time to the topic already. It's not that you don't have the time, rather it's that you need to excuse your bigotry at all costs. Your obsession with the topic is clear--only if it's in support of religious propaganda.

False, especially considering the entire human genome has yet to actually be decoded.

Plenty of links have been provided including three abstracts from scientific papers by myself indicating that homosexuality is at least mostly biological in origin. That's also what one would learn by taking a course in biopsychology at a university. It's also the position of every single medical and behavioral science institution in the country.

I'm not going to tell you again that if you continue bringing up what threads I post on as some means of futhering your position I will be forced to report you for harrassment. In no way is it any of your business what I choose to spend my time posting on.
And because I choose to spend time on THIS forum I don't have the time nor the desire to go peruse another forum.

Upvote 0

Durango

Jul 14, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Omnedon said:

Talk about a strawman arguement, both of these articles discuss genetics and lefthandedness, neither article discusses genetics and it's relationship to homosexuality.

These two articles prove nothing as far as your arguement on the
idea of genetic origins of homosexuality

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetkitty said:
I'm not going to tell you again that if you continue bringing up what threads I post on as some means of futhering your position I will be forced to report you for harrassment.

I have in no way harrassed you. I pointed out a fact: you spend almost all of your time posting on threads that are exclusively about homosexuality in one way or another in the various forums here. You clearly have devoted an extremely large amount of time to the topic, but you can't be bothered to follow a link to a single thread that contains pertinent information. It's not like he's asking you to engage in another forum altogether. He's helping you educate yourself. And yet all the time to spend on homosexuality you can't take the time to do this. It's interesting.

However, of course you have no qualms about harrassing homosexuals with your bigotry, intolerance, and religious propaganda...

In no way is it any of your business what I choose to spend my time posting on.

It's my business if I choose. That information is available for all users to obtain for any user. It's not private, so really, it's anyone's business.

Upvote 0

SirKenin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2003
from the deepest inner mind to the outer limits
✟9,370.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Omnedon said:

ROFL :D This is too good to pass up. You're pounding on poor kitty for nothing. I'm not going to go back and discuss my arguments for you, they pretty much speak for themselves. Hence why I didn't bother with you before. You can provide all the links you want, but they didn't say anything we didn't know before, and can be considered no more or less factual than the opposition.

However, this can't go unnoticed. You are trying to compare lefthandedness with homosexuality. That is the only links I saw in that thread, some off-topic study of handedness to try and make an already flailing case. You're trying to make a rudder out of a cardboard box. Sorry, but there's no connection between the two, really. A couple of years ago the press (BBC, it's linked in this thread) issued a release that although they are hunting for a homosexual gene, they will probably never find one. Let's also remember that the issue isn't whether or not you are attracted to other men through genetics. Nobody cares. The issue is the conscious choice to act on it. Stay focused. :)

Some silly study about lefthandedness does not back up your case, nor does it change the position of research.

That link to that forum is, as kitty suggested, useless. Merely conjecture and opinion, and can in no way be construed as fact any more than the evidence that has already been provided to debunk the wild claims in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kdet

God lives in us
Jul 12, 2003
TX
Visit site
✟16,807.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mechanical Bliss said:
I have in no way harrassed you. I pointed out a fact: you spend almost all of your time posting on threads that are exclusively about homosexuality in one way or another in the various forums here. You clearly have devoted an extremely large amount of time to the topic, but you can't be bothered to follow a link to a single thread that contains pertinent information. It's not like he's asking you to engage in another forum altogether. He's helping you educate yourself. And yet all the time to spend on homosexuality you can't take the time to do this. It's interesting.

However, of course you have no qualms about harrassing homosexuals with your bigotry, intolerance, and religious propaganda...

It's my business if I choose. That information is available for all users to obtain for any user. It's not private, so really, it's anyone's business.

It is not your place to comment on what threads I post on..why can't you understand that? You keep turning the focus onto me instead of the topic at hand...which is against the rules of this forum. And for your information I have harrassed NO ONE...please stop with your lies about me.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Durango said:
Talk about a strawman arguement, both of these articles discuss genetics and lefthandedness, neither article discusses genetics and it's relationship to homosexuality.

He didn't seek to do that and he didn't even hide that fact. It was to point out that genetics isn't such a simple thing like people keep throwing around here. It's more complicated than having one gene or not or having compelte determination or not.

In any case, what does it matter? Would it change anything if it could be substantiated even more than it already has that homosexuality is at least partly biological? Of course not. That religious text of yours already excuses any complaining about homosexuality and homosexuals having equal rights regardless of the genetics of the situation. However, it is clear that homosexuality is not inherently harmful nor does homosexuality or homosexual marriage infringe on anyone's rights, so there really is no basis for the hatred that keeps getting thrown around.

Upvote 0
O

Omnedon

Durango said:

*Sigh* the lefthandedness argument comes up all the time as a proper corollary to sexual orientation. And if you check the comment here the original poster first provided the link, you'll see exactly what I mean. Because that's exactly how that person brought it up.

In addition, there are other links in the thread that deal with phenotypical expression of traits being sourced in multiple genes. Do they deal with homosexuality? No, but genetic expression of traits is also a part of this same "homosexuality is genetic" discussion.

And finally, I did post another 11 threads that all deal with the same topic. In great depth.

Having followed this kind of "homosexuality is genetic" argument for years, I knew that discussions of genetics and left-handedness would come up - as well as attempts to equate homosexuality with alcoholism, based upon a genetic predilection.

These two articles prove nothing as far as your arguement on the
No, it's just that I've been following this material for so long that I anticipated where the discusion would eventually go, and figured I might as well post all the relevant links up front.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
sweetkitty said:
It is not your place to comment on what threads I post on..why can't you understand that?

It's my place to comment on it if I so choose because the information is publically available and relevant to the discussion and your harrassment of homosexuals here.

You keep turning the focus onto me instead of the topic at hand...which is against the rules of this forum.

I don't keep doing that. I bring it up when it's relevant. In this case it is relevant to the thread. It explains your irrational behavior and unwillingness to follow others' links.

And for your information I have harrassed NO ONE...please stop with your lies about me.

You spread libelous comments about homosexuals and that's not harrassment? Yeah, right. You are so quick to comment on how homosexuals are ruining society and so disgusting and that's not harrassment. Yeah, right.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.