• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello everybody,

I know this is getting old, but I am really down again. I have tried everything to get myself happy again. Earlier today I had enough soda that I was seriously high on caffiene and sugar, I was doing great, then it wore off and I am worse than before. There is no purpose on trying to get better, because all what will happen is getting worse. When I had all the soda this afternoon, I did things I never thought I would do, I know this sounds dumb, long story of fear, but I made macaroni & cheese and popcorn in the microwave. I am just afraid of the fire alarms going off, long story, but when I was all on caffiene and sugar, I did what I never thought I would do, but now I am down like nothing else and if it wasn't for my promise with my roommate of me not trying anything before I go see a counselor, I would try to find a way to do something, even though all my "options" are taken away... I guess I should just go see a counselor to please my roommate, but what is the purpose on trying to get better when I am just going to get down worse than before? I might as well just be like this the rest of my life because I will never get better.

servant4ever

childofgrace

Jan 14, 2004
N. Richland Hills, TX
✟172.00
Faith
Christian
I know the tunnel you are in is dark and it appears as if there is no light. I was there back in September in the same tunnel. My counselor told me that I would have walk towards the darkness before I would be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It was a painful and difficult journey but with the help of a support group and a counselor I finally could glimpse the light and eventually was able to walk in the light once again.

Please keep your appointment with your counselor and make a commitment to stick with it. You may not feel much better after your first appointment but it is a process and it takes time.

Kirk

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you are trying all the typical routes - drugs, willpower, and even considering pain or suicide.

Remember that these are not even similar to healing that a therapist, psychiatrist or even a pastor can offer. That healing comes almost without you realizing it. It comes when you find new ways to deal with stress that don't NEED drugs or endorphines to help! It's a rather amazing thing - but over time, I guarentee that you can habitually be happier than you are now. Now, you habitually beat yourself up, and that is something that can be stopped.

I know you go to a Christian university. Perhaps you could also meet with your school's pastor about your feelings - as he or she might be able to help you with more spiritual questions if you've got them too.

Upvote 0

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
servant4ever said:
Hello everybody,

I know this is getting old, but I am really down again. I have tried everything to get myself happy again. Earlier today I had enough soda that I was seriously high on caffiene and sugar, I was doing great, then it wore off and I am worse than before. There is no purpose on trying to get better, because all what will happen is getting worse. When I had all the soda this afternoon, I did things I never thought I would do, I know this sounds dumb, long story of fear, but I made macaroni & cheese and popcorn in the microwave. I am just afraid of the fire alarms going off, long story, but when I was all on caffiene and sugar, I did what I never thought I would do, but now I am down like nothing else and if it wasn't for my promise with my roommate of me not trying anything before I go see a counselor, I would try to find a way to do something, even though all my "options" are taken away... I guess I should just go see a counselor to please my roommate, but what is the purpose on trying to get better when I am just going to get down worse than before? I might as well just be like this the rest of my life because I will never get better.

servant4ever
bro, I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm finding the only "high" that changes things is really seeking after Jesus and praiseing him. I wish I had more to say, but that is short and simple.

Bill

Upvote 0

tj179

Spirit filled
Nov 8, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟190.00
Faith
Christian
Jer 15; 18 Why is my pain unending
and my wound grievous and incurable?
Will you be to me like a deceptive brook,
like a spring that fails?

19 Therefore this is what the LORD says:

"If you repent, I will restore you
that you may serve me;
if you utter worthy, not worthless, words,
you will be my spokesman.
Let this people turn to you,
but you must not turn to them.
20 I will make you a wall to this people,
a fortified wall of bronze;
they will fight against you
but will not overcome you,
for I am with you
to rescue and save you,"
declares the LORD .
21 "I will save you from the hands of the wicked
and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel."

Upvote 0

sowellfan

Nov 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,000.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
The downside of sugar and caffeine highs is that, after the rush is at its peak, there is a low that dips us below where we normally are. So try to moderate on the sugar and stuff, maybe.

And it will get better. You've just got to get some of these things figured out. Part of it will come from counseling, part may come from medication (especially once you get your insurance card or whatever), and part of it will just take time.

For now, find some things to do. Cooking was one good thing. Find a good book to read. Do something with your hands. It doesn't matter if it's putting together a model airplane, a model car, etc., as long as you can take your mind off of your misery. The one thing that can guarantee more misery, I think, is if you sit in your room alone, gazing into your navel, thinking about how much it sucks that you're sitting there alone and have nothing to do. Do something.

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Deamiter said:
It sounds like you are trying all the typical routes - drugs, willpower, and even considering pain or suicide.

Remember that these are not even similar to healing that a therapist, psychiatrist or even a pastor can offer. That healing comes almost without you realizing it. It comes when you find new ways to deal with stress that don't NEED drugs or endorphines to help! It's a rather amazing thing - but over time, I guarentee that you can habitually be happier than you are now. Now, you habitually beat yourself up, and that is something that can be stopped.

I know you go to a Christian university. Perhaps you could also meet with your school's pastor about your feelings - as he or she might be able to help you with more spiritual questions if you've got them too.

Deamiter,

I am not using drugs, I just had too much soda last night that I was really happy until the caffiene and the sugar wore off. I have and will never use illegal drugs in my life.

I am just so scared to go see the counselor because I went to see the same counselor last year, and I just pretended I was all better after 6 weeks because I couldn't stand the more pain I was getting from the counseling. I guess I will just go one time and see how it goes, I wrote them a letter letting them know how I felt about them last year. I heard this from another thread, and I guess I will stick to it, I will at least go once and if I don't like it, I won't go again.

I just wish I had never started getting depressed. If I only said something to my grandma while she was on her death bed, she wanted me to say something, I wouldn't be here. Dumb mistake by me.

servant4ever

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Salsa_1960

Oct 29, 2003
Iowa
✟16,257.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
sowellfan said:
The downside of sugar and caffeine highs is that, after the rush is at its peak, there is a low that dips us below where we normally are. So try to moderate on the sugar and stuff...
Ditto.

The sugar and caffeine may have gotten you on a buzz (a miniature high, so to speak) and then dropped you to a little bit of a low. Some people get highs and lows quite often. (Mood swings). Sugar and caffeine might even worsen the problem for them. I don't know your situation, but perhaps you may find a counselor to be of some help.

Upvote 0

tj179

Spirit filled
Nov 8, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟190.00
Faith
Christian
Why is it that so many will recommend meds or a counselor and so few will say, look to the Lord God almighty. He is our counselor, He is our Healer, He is the truth the life and the way. Look not unto man but unto the Lord.
Why go to a worldly counselor and pay them big money? Was the last time it failed not enough proof that it will fail again? When we are born-again we are blessed with a counselor called the Holy Spirit. His rate has already been paid for you by the blood of Jesus.
It really confuses me as to why so many fail to see that God is all we need. That Christ really is the answer. He will keep us healthy, He is our counselor, He will lead us beside still waters, He will restore your soul, He will deliver us from evil, With Christ we are the Head and not the tail.
I tell you the truth.
Speak the Word, Repent, Rebuke the evil spirit that comes to steal kill and destroy, and then put all your trust in the Lord and watch as he starts to comfort you and direct your paths.
I just hope and pray to God, that soon, we as Christians will start to take a Biblical world view rather than a secular world view of how we are to be living and coping with life here in the flesh.
We must remember that because we are born-again we have Christ living in us. Oh how I pray that christians will get a grip on this and start to use the spirit that dwells within us.
Put on the mind of Christ and walk in the spirit each day.
Love in Christ,
TJ

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe I have an answer to that, and it'll be another answer you don't like. The answer is because Christians have forgotten how to fellowship with ALL believers (not simply their close friends). I tried your route for three months, but it doesn't hold up when I'm on my own with God against evil! It is a mistake to say that God is enough for us - as He certainly IS, but even God recognises that as we've fallen, we can't do it simply between Him and us - God created the Church to support us in this failing that he recognized. We need to be kept accountable if we are to move forward.

Now, while God is sufficient to heal all wounds (and I have to admit, your post is the truest I've read in a long LONG time) Often the Church (as Christians, not a building) fails to lift up their members in prayer and support. Servant has often spoken of how lonely he is, how other Christians won't do stuff with him... how his PARENTS believe that you must be happy, or you aren't Christian. Servant feels that he cannot ask others for help (though he is wrong) because he is afraid that he might be placed in a hospital.

In my life, it is not secular counseling (and we often suggest seeing a pastor, or a Christian therapist) but counseling as a powerful and necessary form of fellowship that helps Christians (or indeed, anybody) get out of their opression! We come here to the forums for a weak form of fellowship - though we can talk and get out our supressed feelings, we cannot truly trust over the internet. However, seeing a Christian therapist (and pastors) has helped me MUCH more than simply talking to God, or talking to other Christians. God - because I am fallen, and I easily fall away from God without the support that He has placed for us, and other Christians - because they too often shy away from depression because suicide is scary, and people just don't know what to say.

I will never argue that psychology replaces or even comes close to the saving grace from our Father - but in our culture, Christianity has forgotten how to lift up it's members as it has become too reliant on secular remedies. I would submit that a change in the CHRISTIANS would make it obvious to all, Christians and non-Christians alike, that God alone is sufficant for a cure, and the Church that God placed on Earth is the way to find this loving God. If the Church as a people was more willing to support rather than push away depressed children (as I have certainly experienced at MANY Churches) the field of psychology (in Christianity) would be FORCED to shift to a Church oriented ministry - rather than a secular therapy which uses God (to GREAT effect in my experience)!

I know that this really supports your point - and I admit I'm not really arguing with you. But honestly, few I've met have been willing to support me even if I routinely mention that I'm depressed. At the five churches I seriously attended through my depression, at not ONE was I prayed for, even though I was obviously disturbed the entire time I attended. Call for a deep emotional support for ALL believers - whether heretical (as the Samaritans were) or simply vulgar (as many gentiles were) and you will see a shift in the treatement of depressed Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello Everybody,

Just to let everybody know, I am going to see a counselor here on campus on Monday at noon, Central Time. I am nervous, but I think this is the only way to get help without my parents knowing. Please pray that I don't get too scared and I feel better soon. I know I won't be all better on Monday, but I want to get better soon.

servant4ever

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
servant4ever said:
Hello Everybody,

Just to let everybody know, I am going to see a counselor here on campus on Monday at noon, Central Time. I am nervous, but I think this is the only way to get help without my parents knowing. Please pray that I don't get too scared and I feel better soon. I know I won't be all better on Monday, but I want to get better soon.

servant4ever
Open your life to your parents and let the cards fall where they may. Hiding part of yourself from them stops them from recognizing and accepting that part of you. Let them in, they may surprise you.

Upvote 0

smash_kate

Jan 10, 2004
New Jersey
✟15,313.00
Faith
Catholic
"If I only said something to my grandma while she was on her death bed, she wanted me to say something, I wouldn't be here. Dumb mistake by me."Servant4ever

Hey that's great...you pinpointed something that is causing you to feel unhappy...Now we can help you

Look...if you really believed in Jesus, you would believe that you could tell him to tell her whatever you needed to tell her. Her soul is living, remember?

Upvote 0

servant4ever

Servant of Jesus Christ
Jan 9, 2004
Saint Paul
✟17,534.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a Christian, I believe in Jesus, that He came to take away my sins, I sometimes do that, but I just feel so guilty, I am such a disappointment. My grandma and I were close to each other, I was probably the closest grandchild to her. And I let her down, I didn't say one word to her. I wanted to, but I couldn't speak it. If I could have one day back, it would be that day, and I would just tell her so much. But, obviously I can't, so I have to live like this, I am going to see a conuselor Monday, so hopefully Monday I will feel all better.

servant4ever

Upvote 0