Proof that Henry clouds teaching of boundaries is not only unbiblical, but also plagiarized.

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I want to precipice this by saying I studied this topic for a very long time, and came to the conclusion that there are times in the bible where boundaries are necessary, but ultimately need to be extremely rare, and with the purpose of bringing a person to repentance. All other boundaries are sinful. In 2 Corinthians paul instructs the church to remove a man from fellowship, to be handed over to satan..but later on instructs them to a). Forgive AND COMFORT him, and b). TO WELCOME HIM BACK.
Outside of extreme willful immorality, all else is sinful division.

The concept of boundaries did not originate with Henry Cloud. It originated in the 1980s in mental health institutions. In fact, not only did Henry Cloud get his teachings outside the Bible, he downright plagiarized a secular book.
Henry Clouds book, "Boundaries, when to say yes, how to say no," was written in 1992. Over 75% of the verbiage and teaching are directly quotable from a secular book called "Boundaries, where you end and I begin," written by Anne Katherine in 1991. The only noticeable difference is how the Bible is incorporated into the psychological teaching.
Some might say, well, this must mean the psychological teaching just happened to be biblical, but this is far from the truth, as I have said before, they need to be rare exceptions in fellowship where extreme sin is taking place, but they should not be the forefront doctrine, as they have become. Boundaries are more often than not, practiced in a sinful manner that is far more damaging than the sin they originally tried to prevent.

Furthermore, if you were to look at the life of Henry Cloud, you would see that his instructions have caused more damage in the church...whereby he actually INSTRUCTS people to get divorced, criticizes the poor, and instructs people to not pray with people, and instructs family to cut off family members. Absolutely none of this is biblical.
If you watch his youtube videos..you will notice that he often resorts to the same 2 or 3 bible verses for literally every sermon.
This man is after your money for his book and for his counseling services...he is not after your spiritual growth.