Lukamu

Aug 13, 2015
Rural United States
✟11,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A recent example... the students at our school receive a "red ticket" when they are caught doing something good, as a behavior incentive/reward. One student received a red ticket at the beginning of class and was probably proud about it (in the "good" way). Later, he boasted about getting the ticket to one of his/her friends. The teacher overheard this boasting (the "bad" pride) and took the ticket away.

This is an example of the common reasoning between "good" and "bad" pride, as discussed in this forum. But common reasoning and biblical reasoning are not the same thing... I suppose I've heard enough of the personal explanations, how about a biblical one?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A recent example... the students at our school receive a "red ticket" when they are caught doing something good, as a behavior incentive/reward. One student received a red ticket at the beginning of class and was probably proud about it (in the "good" way). Later, he boasted about getting the ticket to one of his/her friends. The teacher overheard this boasting (the "bad" pride) and took the ticket away.

This is an example of the common reasoning between "good" and "bad" pride, as discussed in this forum. But common reasoning and biblical reasoning are not the same thing... I suppose I've heard enough of the personal explanations, how about a biblical one?
Well, we certainly know there's such a thing as "bad pride" biblically, as “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” James 4:10 and "He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed." Prov 3:34 And John tells us about the dangers of the "pride of life" in 1 John 2:16

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, whoever thinks he stands must be careful not to fall.--1 Corinthians 10:12, Holman

I think it's fine to feel good about it when you or someone you care about has done well. That's self-esteem. "I'm better than you. I won, and you're all a bunch of losers," is when it gets into sinful pride.

Another form of pride is failing to give God the glory. He is the one who gives us the gifts and talents that enable us to do great things. Gymnast Gabrielle Douglas knew this at the young age of 16. She won her gold medal and glorified the Lord right there into the microphone. Of course she was happy. She had done hard work to achieve what she did, and she had the right to feel good when it came out her way. But in her interview, instead of talking about me, me, me, look how good a gymnast I am, look how hard I worked and what I've sacrificed to get to this moment, she was all about Him, Him, Him.

Upvote 0