• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Pretty much been depressed, need help right now

GCNFan1999

Apr 18, 2020
Paris
✟16,546.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm a young adult. I have no diploma, skills or anything. With undiagnosed ADHD. I have no interest in anything. Literally. Or learning anything. I don't even have a diploma. I cant cook, drive, have hardly any interest in a series cause I dont feel like catching up with others and I burn out very easily. The fact I dont have a diploma and lack basic knowledge in most things dashes away my dreams of getting into any college to be able to obtain a skill and move to a few countries I desire to work and live there, especially since my parents are uncaring, evil and neglectful and unschooled all of us.

If I dont have an interest in anything, its very hard for me to learn it and focus on it. I even automatically end up forgetting what I learned. I cant do basic math at all and have to constantly re-read anything in general knowledge. I grew up most of my life never learning what most school students do throughout decades of theirs and now I feel completely terrible and hoping theres a way out of this without having to go through all those years and struggles and while people have said I may not have to, I fear that they may be wrong. Especially with how much my brain refuses to even touch those subjects. I feel like my life is over. All I want is to be able to get into a college without having to suffer, land a job, move to my desired country, and live happily. I'm already aware of the hardships. The amount of people who struggle the same way I do, and who also have been schooled and feel as dumb as I do give me hope. I realize that if my grandparents die, I am completely on my own and out of luck and might end up dying as well due to not being able to support myself.

Please help

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You write well, use current language and make sense. You can type, make ideas, communicate. Depression does make one hopeless. You have to keep on trying, and reading. Are you on a farm, not born in a hospital? Learn to drive a tractor, make feed, care for your animals. Then you can get through agricultural college and excel. They won’t let you go without schooling you in many other things. But you need the basics.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm a young adult. I have no diploma, skills or anything. With undiagnosed ADHD. I have no interest in anything. Literally. Or learning anything. I don't even have a diploma. I cant cook, drive, have hardly any interest in a series cause I dont feel like catching up with others and I burn out very easily. The fact I dont have a diploma and lack basic knowledge in most things dashes away my dreams of getting into any college to be able to obtain a skill and move to a few countries I desire to work and live there, especially since my parents are uncaring, evil and neglectful and unschooled all of us.

If I dont have an interest in anything, its very hard for me to learn it and focus on it. I even automatically end up forgetting what I learned. I cant do basic math at all and have to constantly re-read anything in general knowledge. I grew up most of my life never learning what most school students do throughout decades of theirs and now I feel completely terrible and hoping theres a way out of this without having to go through all those years and struggles and while people have said I may not have to, I fear that they may be wrong. Especially with how much my brain refuses to even touch those subjects. I feel like my life is over. All I want is to be able to get into a college without having to suffer, land a job, move to my desired country, and live happily. I'm already aware of the hardships. The amount of people who struggle the same way I do, and who also have been schooled and feel as dumb as I do give me hope. I realize that if my grandparents die, I am completely on my own and out of luck and might end up dying as well due to not being able to support myself.

Please help
Are you born again? If so, you have the greatest help possible living inside you. If not, Lord Jesus offers you all the help you need, if you will accept Him. He came to set captives free, to give new life that transcends anything anyone can even imagine. Let us know where you stand with Jesus and we can be of more help to you.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Jay Freeman

Nov 18, 2023
Anywhere USA
✟3,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For someone who says that they have ADHD and has learning issues, you seem to organize your thoughts and write very well.

Depression could be caused by poor diet as well as bad circumstances and lack of hope.

Have you considered joining a local church?

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Please help
Yes, you communicate quite well in writing for someone saying they have no diploma, "basic lack of knowledge" and have ADHD. Also for typing in English (unless you are using a translation device); as your country of origin says you are in Paris France.

French homeschool laws; like most states in the US; require some sort of proficiency testing until the student is 16. (France also recently just passed more restrictive laws for homeschooling.) At the point you are 16 or over; you are eligible to take the 'Le bac' which if you pass that; you are considered a high school graduate. Most students in France take the 'Le bac' at 18. You don't have to have a school affiliation to take the 'Le bac' either; and I believe the test is free. (Public education in France is free.)

So unless you have some other developmental, or learning disability; there's no reason you can't complete high school. Even in the US a student can go to high school until they are 21 if they have not gotten a diploma by the age of 18. There's also a GED in the US. (Which would be similar to the 'Le bac'. It's a general educational proficiency test for people who didn't graduate high school.) Here in the US; one can take a college entrance exam too. Go talk to your local school authority and see what they say.

My son is 21; also never graduated from high school. But he has refractory epilepsy and collects Social Security disability on his dad's record because he has such attentional issues that he's not employable. He also can't do high school level work. (Does not have the organizational skills to write papers.) Thus can't go to college and he can't drive either because of his seizures. But there are other programs for people like him. We are working on putting him in some art program; but we have to get him to the point where he's not sleeping so much, that he can tolerate going to classes a couple of times a week. We are currently going through steps to get him state funding for art classes.

Also in France; like the US there are laws and regulations to aide the education and integration of disabled people into the larger society. So it's not like you would never be able to go to college.

Being a student with a disability in France | Campus France

My son also suffers from depression and has manifested occasional other "psychiatric symptoms" which I, nor his doctors not sure if they are seizures or an actual psychiatric disorder. The occurrences (that resemble mild psychosis) are brief and quite infrequent. (Like years between events.) He takes magnesium and vitamin B-6 for those types of things and a whole host of other vitamins and minerals for other medical conditions. He also has osteoporosis from a seizure med he'd been on for years. So he also takes a bunch of bone growth supplements; but has started to regrow bone mass. So that's good.

Covid messed up a lot of things though. My son's school couldn't find tutors for him so he's basically been in the house since March of 2020; except to go to the doctor. Although a little more than a year ago; he started taking private martial arts lessons; which is basically being used for him as physical therapy.

He's also been to several advanced hospitals here in the US and was evaluated for brain surgery. Basically they've told us they currently don't have the technology to more effectively treat him. Medication does help; but it doesn't totally control the seizures. Consequently, he can't live on his own. He can't take care of himself. He's got several gaming friends who are all in college and he feels really bad that he can't have a "normal 21 year old's life".

We all have our struggles and difficulties in life. You're not alone. I'm a mobility impaired disabled war veteran. Doesn't mean though that God can't use people who have even some very grave disadvantages.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dashes away my dreams.....
You do have dreams! This is a good start as anyone who is successful first had a dream ( thoughts or wishes) of accomplishing something they want to do. You are unfortunately focused on defeat before you have even started the race. Though you wish to focus on the possible diagnosis of ADHD, people with this diagnosis have been very successful. Here is a list so you know you are not alone. Blessings

Famous individuals with ADHD:
Entertainers:
  • Jim Carrey: Actor, comedian, and producer
  • Richard Branson: Entrepreneur, founder of the Virgin Group
  • Jamie Oliver: Celebrity chef
  • Ty Pennington: Television personality and carpenter
  • Howie Mandel: Television personality, comedian, and actor
  • Lee Mack: Comedian and actor
  • Johnny Depp: Actor and producer
  • Mark Ruffalo: Actor
  • Winston Churchill: Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
  • Liv Tyler: Actress
  • Zayn Malik: Singer and songwriter
  • Daniel Radcliffe: Actor
  • Channing Tatum: Actor
  • Danica Patrick: Retired race car driver
Athletes:
  • Michael Phelps: Swimmer, most decorated Olympian of all time
  • Simone Biles: Gymnast, most decorated American gymnast
  • Ashley McKenzie: British judo champion
  • David Neeleman: Founder of JetBlue Airways and Breeze Airways
  • Jessica Alba: Actress and businesswoman
  • Solange Knowles: Singer, songwriter, and actress
Scientists and Inventors:
  • Albert Einstein: Physicist and Nobel Prize laureate
  • Thomas Edison: Inventor and businessman
  • Alexander Graham Bell: Inventor and businessman
  • Marie Curie: Physicist and chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
Writers and Artists:
  • Leonardo da Vinci: Painter, sculptor, architect, engineer, and scientist
  • Vincent van Gogh: Post-impressionist painter
  • Pablo Picasso: Co-founder of Cubism
  • Agatha Christie: Novelist
  • Stephen King: Novelist
  • Richard Feynman: Physicist and Nobel Prize laureate
  • Stephen Hawking: Theoretical physicist and cosmologist
Entrepreneurs and Business Leaders:
  • Richard Branson: Entrepreneur, founder of the Virgin Group
  • Bill Gates: Co-founder of Microsoft and philanthropist
  • Ingvar Kamprad: Founder of IKEA
  • Mark Zuckerberg: Co-founder and CEO of Meta Platforms (formerly Facebook)
  • Oprah Winfrey: Media proprietor, talk show host, actress, producer, and philanthropist
These individuals, along with countless others, have demonstrated that ADHD does not define or limit their potential. They have harnessed their unique perspectives and strengths to achieve remarkable success in their respective fields. Their stories serve as inspiration to anyone facing similar challenges, reminding us that ADHD can be a source of creativity, innovation, and resilience.

Upvote 0

GCNFan1999

Apr 18, 2020
Paris
✟16,546.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you communicate quite well in writing for someone saying they have no diploma, "basic lack of knowledge" and have ADHD. Also for typing in English (unless you are using a translation device); as your country of origin says you are in Paris France.

French homeschool laws; like most states in the US; require some sort of proficiency testing until the student is 16. (France also recently just passed more restrictive laws for homeschooling.) At the point you are 16 or over; you are eligible to take the 'Le bac' which if you pass that; you are considered a high school graduate. Most students in France take the 'Le bac' at 18. You don't have to have a school affiliation to take the 'Le bac' either; and I believe the test is free. (Public education in France is free.)

So unless you have some other developmental, or learning disability; there's no reason you can't complete high school. Even in the US a student can go to high school until they are 21 if they have not gotten a diploma by the age of 18. There's also a GED in the US. (Which would be similar to the 'Le bac'. It's a general educational proficiency test for people who didn't graduate high school.) Here in the US; one can take a college entrance exam too. Go talk to your local school authority and see what they say.

My son is 21; also never graduated from high school. But he has refractory epilepsy and collects Social Security disability on his dad's record because he has such attentional issues that he's not employable. He also can't do high school level work. (Does not have the organizational skills to write papers.) Thus can't go to college and he can't drive either because of his seizures. But there are other programs for people like him. We are working on putting him in some art program; but we have to get him to the point where he's not sleeping so much, that he can tolerate going to classes a couple of times a week. We are currently going through steps to get him state funding for art classes.

Also in France; like the US there are laws and regulations to aide the education and integration of disabled people into the larger society. So it's not like you would never be able to go to college.

Being a student with a disability in France | Campus France

My son also suffers from depression and has manifested occasional other "psychiatric symptoms" which I, nor his doctors not sure if they are seizures or an actual psychiatric disorder. The occurrences (that resemble mild psychosis) are brief and quite infrequent. (Like years between events.) He takes magnesium and vitamin B-6 for those types of things and a whole host of other vitamins and minerals for other medical conditions. He also has osteoporosis from a seizure med he'd been on for years. So he also takes a bunch of bone growth supplements; but has started to regrow bone mass. So that's good.

Covid messed up a lot of things though. My son's school couldn't find tutors for him so he's basically been in the house since March of 2020; except to go to the doctor. Although a little more than a year ago; he started taking private martial arts lessons; which is basically being used for him as physical therapy.

He's also been to several advanced hospitals here in the US and was evaluated for brain surgery. Basically they've told us they currently don't have the technology to more effectively treat him. Medication does help; but it doesn't totally control the seizures. Consequently, he can't live on his own. He can't take care of himself. He's got several gaming friends who are all in college and he feels really bad that he can't have a "normal 21 year old's life".

We all have our struggles and difficulties in life. You're not alone. I'm a mobility impaired disabled war veteran. Doesn't mean though that God can't use people who have even some very grave disadvantages.

In the USA. Don't know how I set that to France, sorry.
Been wanting to die. I feel it's all over

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Please help
Perhaps the place to start is to get your GED ... there are free online classes to do this. Although there are some jobs that don't require a GED, Here is a place that lists some. List of Jobs that Don't Require a High School or GED Diploma

In lieu of education a person can gain knowledge through on the job experience ... this might be an avenue for you. Although one will likely start at a lower pay scale ... they can work their way up as more experience is gained. I did this. The only thing I knew was how to type (had no idea of what I wanted to do) ... that led me to an entry level position in state government ... and from there I was introduced into the IT aspect and slowly but surely worked my way up in the system and eventually earned a very decent wage and a reasonable retirement that I now enjoy.

If you don't know what you want to do .... perhaps just by being gainfully employed will help you determine your future ... at some point in time a person will find something they are good at and/or enjoy doing.

These days one can receive an education online even at the college level.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
On top of this i don't know any science, chemistry, etc. Or i forgot it all. Do i have to learn it? I have no interest
Not wanting to do anything sounds just like clinical depression. Maybe a counselor.?
On the other hand, how about going to a hands on trade school? There are probably things you like to do that you are not thinking of right now.

I found this link--about 1/2 way down the page, there are some aptitude tests. No pressure--you can take them for fun. You might learn something about yourself https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/free-career-aptitude-tests-for-adults

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are in France (which is what your profile says), which you are not, it is pretty easy to get around without using a car. But as you are in the USA, you might want to seek social security, and potentially find a transit solution that offers free rides, if possible. Yes, some conservative Christians don't like SSI, but Jesus told us to help other people out, and SSI does a good job of doing that. You might want to speak to a priest or pastor about this, as they could recommend resources for you. If the pastor or priest does not want to help (cos some church leaders are jerk-holes), say this verse to him or her, or tell the priest to read Proverbs 19:17:

Proverbs 19:17 (NIV)
"What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead."

Also, it is better to live, as eventually, God will bring you to his home, on his own time. He may want you to be there, as an example for other Christians to help right now, and eventually, for you to bring others to Christ yourself through helpful deeds you do in the future when you are in a better off position.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do your grandparents know about this? Are you suicidal and do you grandparents know?
If you have a suicide plan; you need to go to a hospital; ASAP.

Both my son and myself have been hospitalized. He was 12 and I was 27 years old upon our separate hospitalizations. My hospitalization was 3 years before my son was born.

I'd gone to a counselor assigned to me by my employment assistance program. About the 3rd visit; I told her what my suicide plan was. She said: "Wait right there." She talked to her supervisor and about 10 minutes later, an ambulance came to get me. I spent 2 weeks inpatient. 4 weeks outpatient - (partial hospitalization program) and went to a day treatment program for 3 months from there. It took about 6 months before I was emotionally stable enough to go back to work part time. I was diagnosed with a major depressive episode and PTSD. This was 1998. 5 years after I got out of the military. I did clean up after the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

Psych hospitalizations aren't a lot of "fun". Psych floors are very regulated. Generally breakfast is at 8 AM; groups start at 9 AM and run to about 3 to 4 PM. Lunch is at noon and dinner is at 5 PM. Patients are in their rooms by 8 PM; lights out by 9 PM. You either sleep with a light on or staff shine a flashlight in your room about every 1/2 hour. They take anything away from you that you can hang yourself with. (Shoe laces, belts, spiral notebooks (because of the wire binding).) But that's "suicide watch".

Also, the doors to the floor are locked. You can not leave at will. If you become violent, they will restrain you. They will put you in a "time out" room (which has matts and padded walls; or if you require further restraint; they will put you in what's called a "full sheet"; which basically you are strapped to a gurney / bed. If absolutely necessary; they will chemically restrain patients.

Upon admission they will check your blood and urine for drugs and alcohol (as well as endocrine problems). If you do not have substances in your system; they will put you on a "neuro-psych" floor. If you do have substances in your system they will put you on a "MICA - mentally ill / chemically addicted" floor. I was on a neuro-psych floor.

There were about 10 to 12 patients on the floor when I was there. The patients ranged in age from 18 to 80. There were about 4 of us who were there for suicide attempts / plans. A couple of developmentally disabled people who were there on "med holiday". There was one woman in her 60's who was receiving electric shock therapy. and at least two other people who were awaiting placement in long term psych facilities. Both the them had schizophrenia. There was one other patient my age who was bipolar and about 3 college students who were there for a weekend simply because they were stressed out from exams and said they were suicidal. Being on the psych floor was a very enlightening experience for them; because they met people like me.

(Today it's a lot harder to get admitted to a psych floor. The admission criteria as well as the length of stay criteria has changed. This is mostly on account of what insurance is willing to pay for now. Most psych patient admissions today are about 5 days and one is only admitted if they are a danger to themselves or others.)

I was on suicide watch, my suite mate was on suicide watch and one man in his 40's who'd been admitted through the ER when his wife found him in the garage unconscious with the car running. He's been on the floor for almost a month when I was admitted. My suite mate came in about a week after I did and was there for about a week. She had chronic medical issues and had recently had a leg amputated. I was the only veteran on that floor.

(Today veterans are transferred to VA facilities. I'm currently in a VA mental health program that's similar to a day treatment program. I've been in this program 3 days a week for almost 3 months now. Although this is more of a mental health life skills program, than it is for patients with acute symptoms. Each veteran participant has at least 1X a week counseling and we attend participatory group classes. This program is geared more for emotionally stable patients who need ongoing mental health self management skills.)

But when I was in the hospital. (Civilian hospital system acute care psych ward.) During and after groups; patients would meet in the solarium (where we'd eat meals) and we'd talk about stuff. One nurse on the floor (who been assigned to me); at one point, told me: "I know you feel like your going crazy; but your not; you're going sane" And that stuck with me. I liked that nurse. She was very helpful to me and I drew her a picture of a Native American girl with a wolf companion. She's told me that she'd put it in a frame and hung it on her wall at home.

I'd told my son that same thing many years later. "You're not going crazy. You're going sane." (He was on the child / adolescent psych ward for 5 days; after he tried to jump out of a 2nd story window at school.)

The little older woman undergoing electric shock treatment: myself, my suite mate and the young woman with bipolar had sort of taken to "taking care" of the little oder woman. She couldn't eat breakfast until after her treatments; and we'd sit with her and reassure her that we'd make sure her breakfast was still there when she came back. She'd sit on the couch and cry and we'd sit with her until they came to get her for treatments. (about half way through breakfast). Then we'd go eat ourselves. And when she'd come back, if there was no staff available, we'd sit with her and make sure she knew she had a breakfast. (Sometimes she'd eat it and sometimes she wouldn't. ECT makes one nauseous.)

I had grown a bit fond of her, because after treatments and when the rest of us we were in group; she'd wander the floor and when she'd see my stuffed lion (I had a Lion King Simba stuffed animal) She'd swipe him and we'd find her petting him in her room. LOL. She liked his fuzzy mane.) The staff would get a bit annoyed with me for not reporting her taking stuff out of other patients rooms; (we weren't allowed to go into other patients' rooms) but I never got mad at her. She was pretty harmless. 5 foot little woman (former school teacher) who was maybe 100 pounds soaking wet. She cried a lot; which was why she was being given ECT. The various medications she'd been on, no longer worked for her.

There was one time my suite mate and myself "hid" her in our bathroom when one of the developmentally disabled individuals got pi** off and was chasing a doctor down the hall. He was like 300 pounds and 2 male nurses were chasing him, so he didn't kill his doctor. Psych floors aren't exactly "quiet" places either. I knew that though, because I worked in a group home and we occasionally had residents who'd get mad and chase staff through the house; and we'd have to restrain them too. So, there wasn't much that happened on the psych ward that surprised me. (If you are not aware of this stuff though; yeah, it can be pretty scary!)

Several college students (two who'd been admitted for observation and one who came up to the floor to interview a patient for a writing project); talked to me. And I was a "reasonable" patient to talk to, because I was one of the more lucid ones. And after having a couple of discussions with me; the students who were admitted for observation; basically apologized for being there and said they'd only said they were suicidal because they were stressed out from exams. (It was spring time and finals were due.) They'd said: "We understand now that patients like you really need to be here; we don't. You guys are really depressed. We're only just afraid of failing our finals." And they were discharged by the end of that weekend. (This was after talking to me, the girl with bipolar, one of the older women with schizophrenia and the fellow who'd been on the floor for a month.)

Partial hospitalization was... interesting. That program wasn't sure they could keep me because my PTSD nightmares were triggering other patients. But through that program was how I basically found out about the day treatment program. Two other patients I remember from the partial hospital program that I spent lunches with: One was wheelchair bound and the other had anorexia. We kind of "found" each other because our struggles were so different. But in the end; we were all just people trying to find our way through our diagnosis and what was going to be the next step in our lives? Yet all traveling very different paths.

The day treatment program I went to was a civilian run / mostly sexual abuse trauma survivor program. (I "qualified" there too.) And the psychiatrist who was assigned to me kept encouraging me to go to the VA. He'd tell me. "I know people over there who can help you better than we can. They are trained in dealing with veterans with PTSD." One of the other things he told me was that he believed I could actually recover. (But he told me I had to get away from my family.) He said: "You've graduated from college. You can hold down a job. You were in the military for 3 years. You have capabilities that most of the other patients in this program don't have." And I remember sitting there looking at him and crying saying: "Do you really think I can get better?" He said: "Yes I do."

He was right.

And yes, it's taken years. I'm not "cured". I never will be. I still have dreams about the war; but they don't send me over the edge any more. I still deal with the affects of growing up in my extremely dysfunctional family. (My brother is a pedophile and my mother was an alcoholic. Both my parents are now deceased.)

My brain now has developed a mechanism to convey to me when I have war dreams that this is a dream. It's not really happening now. So, I no longer think I'm back in the middle of it when I do have dreams about being in the military. Once in a while I still have war dreams that I can't tell if they are real or not; but they are fewer and further between. It took about 10 years to get Desert Storm out of my head. - In the sense of the way that I can cope with it now.

But I did raise my son; (mostly on my own). I own a house; can drive; have a part time job; managed to graduate with a BA in psychology. We were all in a catastrophic car accident in 2010; which is the reason for my mobility impairment. I walk on crutches and have a ridged framed wheelchair. Had multiple broken bones and a lot of injuries to my legs. I also had a traumatic brain injury. And though I have some pretty obvious limitations; I can still function fairly well.

So no, I don't believe that you can't successfully learn how to manage your depression and other circumstances. It's not magic; it does take work on your part. But anything that's worth doing is going to take effort. And your effort will pay off; but you have to be willing to put something into it too.

Nothing in life is easy.

Personally, I suggest you try magnesium taurate and a good plant based multivitamin and even some extra vitamin D, vitamin C and Quercetin; for a good month before you try pharmaceutical antidepressants. Those are some of the non-pharmaceuticals I give my son; as well as one's I take myself. He takes Vimpat for is epilepsy. But that's the only pharma drug he's on. I'm not on any pharmaceutical drugs except PRN Ativan for some medical procedures.

So yeah; as Dr. Phil says: "Life is managed; it isn't cured."

And he's right. I've been in various forms of mental health treatment since I was 13. It's been a long road and it hasn't been an easy one. I also pray a lot for wisdom, God's guidance and the perseverance to keep putting one foot in front of the other and do the next thing God puts in front of me. That's the only way we get anywhere. The journey of 1000 miles starts with the first step and is only accomplished one step at a time!
On the other hand, how about going to a hands on trade school? There are probably things you like to do that you are not thinking of right now.
This poster here too has a good suggestion! :handpointup:

Trade schools are a great alternative to the cost of college. Single woman who lives across the street from me, is in a trade school to become an electrician. Trade people make good money and don't have $300,000 worth of college debt! (BIG plus there!) She also runs a dog grooming business out of her back hall. She makes enough money that she bought the house she moved in across the street two years ago. She put in a dog bathing area in her laundry room off the kitchen.

I live in a rural town working class neighborhood. Lot of immigrants around me. Housing here is relatively cheap in comparison to cities and suburbs. It's also safer out here than in cities. We're pretty much surrounded by farm land.

So yes! Talk to your grandparents. I'm sure they want to see you succeed!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

GCNFan1999

Apr 18, 2020
Paris
✟16,546.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not wanting to do anything sounds just like clinical depression. Maybe a counselor.?

I found this link--about 1/2 way down the page, there are some aptitude tests. No pressure--you can take them for fun. You might learn something about yourself https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/free-career-aptitude-tests-for-adults
Been focusing on getting my GED soon and its put my heart into hysterics cause I don't know basic physics, maths, economics, you name it.

People say this is normal or whatever but idk. I'm very scared. I'm very far behind and idk how long I'll be doing this.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟227,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All I want is to be able to get into a college without having to suffer
I'm curious as to why you want to go to college if you have no interest in learning anything. What is the end game you're looking for?

You also mentioned wanting to go to live in other countries. Most countries will not give you a visa unless you have a skill and a job lined up.

I recommend that you actively choose to desire to learn. Lack of motivation often comes from the fear of failure, which in turn leads to the exact failure that was feared. You clearly have the ability to learn, as you are articulate in your writing. I think that if you can change your thought processes and decide that you are capable of learning you will find that you can actually do it.

You mention lack of knowledge in chemistry, physics and other topics, but unless you want to go into sciences, there's little need to concentrate on them. As I recall, the higher level sciences are not required for a GED, though I could be wrong about that.

It is very important to know basic mathematics, so I encourage you to learn in your GED prep. I am sure that there is some industry that sounds interesting, and you could focus on that. Trade schools are an excellent way to gain specific skills so that you can support yourself.

Graduating college is no guarantee for a good job or career. Having a trade and a skill might be a better solution for you. And, if you want to be independent, you need to be able to drive in the US. What has kept you from doing this? I encourage you to take a driving course and get your license. Doing that will prove to yourself that you are capable of learning, which you are.

Your ability to learn depends upon your mindset. It sounds like you have convinced yourself that you cannot. That's a lie. You absolutely can. Pray for the Lord to guide you through the Holy Spirit to help you leave your negative mindset behind and start fresh with a willingness and determination to learn what you need to support yourself. And then set out and do it. There are all kinds of resources in every state to help you. But the decision to take action is up to you.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
Been focusing on getting my GED soon and its put my heart into hysterics cause I don't know basic physics, maths, economics, you name it.

People say this is normal or whatever but idk. I'm very scared. I'm very far behind and idk how long I'll be doing this.
I am almost 72, and in my 3rd year of Latin. I managed to get into a very reasonably priced class for seniors. This year is much harder that the others. To help me study, and enlighten me on many different subjects, I use Chat GPT.
Chat can help with about any subject. if you dont know how to solve a particular type of problem, it can teach you how. My granddaughter used it for Physics--it would explain difficult concepts, and if you gave it what material you were studying, it can make up quizzes, multiple choice, fill in the blank, it is a great help.

There are GED classes you can take to prepare you--they are free. I found this for you In-Person GED Classes Near You | GED.com

--you can find a local class or if you absolutely cannot go, you can do it online. ( These cost, though.) If you can get to the classes, you should go. But this should help you. The online information is about 1/2 way down that page in the link.
And here is the link to download Chat GPT .

https://chat.openai.com/ CHAT IS FREE.​

1701992914951.png
ChatGPT
https://chat.openai.com
Hope this stuff helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums