USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good, we see it the same way and it's a rarer interpretation.

Yeah, that is rare.

Yet not per John's Revelation. All ten horns remain in power through the entire "hour" of the reign of the beast.

Yes, all ten remain in power, which is all the more to my point. I believe the subdued 3 in per the Book of Daniel doesn't mean they are killed, but only put lower in authority by the little horn. They still reign, but are over a tri-parte structure on earth. The other seven kings I see will be over the "seven mountains".

Daniels language means 3 kings were removed from power completely, most likely death. None of that appears in Revelation though. I see the world in 7 mountains like maybe the 7 continents representing the whole world...something global like that and then ten new country/kingdoms. I don't see any evidence of lesser horns among the ten horns.

I used to think that, but a look at the Hebrew word for 'subdue' how it is used elsewhere suggests it means to abase, or humble, not destroy or kill. I don't see the need for that idea to appear again in Revelation. We know the ten horns symbols in Daniel 7 is a reference to Revelation because of Rev.13:2 pointing us back to Daniel 7.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe the subdued 3 in per the Book of Daniel doesn't mean they are killed, but only put lower in authority by the little horn.

I used to think that, but a look at the Hebrew word for 'subdue' how it is used elsewhere suggests it means to abase, or humble, not destroy or kill.

He speaks of this three times:

Dan 7:7 After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it was diverse from all the beasts that were before it; and it had ten horns.
Dan_7:8 I considered the horns, and, behold, there came up among them another little horn, before whom there were three of the first horns plucked up by the roots: and, behold, in this horn were eyes like the eyes of man, and a mouth speaking great things.

Dan_7:20 And of the ten horns that were in his head, and of the other which came up, and before whom three fell; even of that horn that had eyes, and a mouth that spake very great things, whose look was more stout than his fellows.

Dan 7:24 And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.

Plucked up by the roots....that kills a horn.

Fell...this is a common term for something dying or falling apart like a kingdom when it falls.

Subdued...I think this means more like the other two. A Death or being destroyed is what is in view rather than a mere humbling.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
That doesn't say anything about releasing Abaddon. It speaks of loosing the locust army.

Rev 9:3-4
3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
KJV

The name of this locust army’s leader, Apollyon, is remarkably similar to the 15th Roman legion, Apollinarus, that Titus led into Jerusalem in 70 AD (verse 11). This legion was named after the Greek god, Apollo.

Israel’s 5-Month Locust Invasion In 70 AD (Revelation 9:1-11)

The pov above studies Josephus and the Revelation letter.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Five months is the time period that the Roman siege lasted around Jerusalem. During this time the Romans didn’t try to take the city, but let the work of the siege slowly weaken the city defenders and bring conditions upon them that could fit the definition of a great tribulation. During the siege the Zealots inside Jerusalem set fire to the foodstocks that were stored up thinking that without food the inhabitants would be more compelled to join them in fighting the Romans. As food disappeared people were compelled to eat leather from belts, shoes, and anywhere else it could be found.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Israel’s 5-Month Locust Invasion In 70 AD (Revelation 9:1 ...
Israel’s 5-Month Locust Invasion In 70 AD (Revelation 9:1-11)month-locust-invasion-in-70-ad-revelation-91-11
Sep 19, 2014 · And they had HAIR AS THE HAIR OF WOMEN, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions” These “crowns like gold” and the “hair as the hair of women” is a precise description of the Roman helmets worn at that particular period.

Steve Gregg, editor of Revelation: Four Views (A Parallel Commentary), has this to say (pp. 182, 184):

Though the locusts themselves are no doubt a portrayal of armies of demons that afflicted the whole society of the Jews during their conflicts with the Romans, the description is perhaps mingled with some features of the demonized zealots who made life so miserable for their fellow Jews during the siege. That they have hair like women’s hair [v. 8] may actually be a reference to their transvestitism, as Josephus describes:

“With their insatiable hunger for loot, they ransacked the houses of the wealthy, murdered men and violated women for sport; they drank their spoils with blood, and from mere satiety and shamelessness gave themselves up to effeminate practices, plaiting their hair and putting on women’s clothes, drenched themselves with perfumes and painting their eyelids to make themselves attractive. They copied not merely the dress, but also the passions of women, devising in their excess of licentiousness unlawful pleasures in which they wallowed as in a brothel. Thus they entirely polluted the city with their foul practices. Yet though they wore women’s faces, their hands were murderous. They would approach with mincing steps, then suddenly become fighting men, and, whipping out their swords from under their dyed cloaks, they would run through every passerby” (Wars, IV:9:10).

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The name of this locust army’s leader, Apollyon, is remarkably similar to the 15th Roman legion, Apollinarus, that Titus led into Jerusalem in 70 AD (verse 11). This legion was named after the Greek god, Apollo.

Israel’s 5-Month Locust Invasion In 70 AD (Revelation 9:1-11)

The pov above studies Josephus and the Revelation letter.

Once again I have to ask, could Titus or any... flesh man go to the pit of hell and become an angel over that pit? No! of course not. The names Apollyon and Abaddon there in Revelation 9:11 are applied to an angel, not a flesh man. So any assigning of a flesh man as that angel that is over the bottomless pit is to leave God's Word.

Upvote 0