• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Prescription Medication & Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟19,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In addition to the chronic migraines, I have a knee issue that we have just determined is not fixable via surgery and will likely be a life-long ailment. So far, I have tried all the non-pharmaceutical pain management options (ice, heat, therapy, lifestyle changes, TENS unit, herbal supplements, etc.). NSAID medications sometimes help in the short-term, but in the long-term, cause as too much problem with my stomach to be a solution.

My doctor is starting to talk long-term use of pain medication. It's a low enough dosage right now that it won't drug me out or keep me from going to work or anything serious like that, but most of these drugs are considered addictive. On one hand, I don't like the idea of being addicted to anything. On the other hand, if I am going to need to take the drug on a regular basis for a long term, is addiction necessarily a bad thing?

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
romecoming said:
In addition to the chronic migraines, I have a knee issue that we have just determined is not fixable via surgery and will likely be a life-long ailment. So far, I have tried all the non-pharmaceutical pain management options (ice, heat, therapy, lifestyle changes, TENS unit, herbal supplements, etc.). NSAID medications sometimes help in the short-term, but in the long-term, cause as too much problem with my stomach to be a solution.

My doctor is starting to talk long-term use of pain medication. It's a low enough dosage right now that it won't drug me out or keep me from going to work or anything serious like that, but most of these drugs are considered addictive. On one hand, I don't like the idea of being addicted to anything. On the other hand, if I am going to need to take the drug on a regular basis for a long term, is addiction necessarily a bad thing?
Tough call. I've been a short term opiate addict.I definately feel like it would have become a real problem for me,if I'd continued.That was only after 3 mos.It took about two weeks before the itch went away.It grabs one quickly,I can tell you that.One pill a day soon becomes two then three.Even though they say it doesn't, vicoden causes liver trouble.I hate to see you do this.Please think it through.

Upvote 0

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟19,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be clear, I haven't done anything or made any decision, yet. :)

I'm discussing options with my doctor and need to take a serious look at this option, even if it is an option I leave behind. FWIW, I do not tend toward the addictive personality and have not had any past problems with psychological addiction. We are talking about a small enough dose that the medication should not be a health issue, in itself. The concern, of course, is that 1 could lead to 2 could lead to 3. I know that is something I would have to watch out for and be honest with my doctor about.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
romecoming said:

I'm discussing options with my doctor and need to take a serious look at this option, even if it is an option I leave behind. FWIW, I do not tend toward the addictive personality and have not had any past problems with psychological addiction. We are talking about a small enough dose that the medication should not be a health issue, in itself. The concern, of course, is that 1 could lead to 2 could lead to 3. I know that is something I would have to watch out for and be honest with my doctor about.
Have you thought about relaxation, or at least learning a few simple techniques. I am long term with chronic pain, and while I still do take potentially addictive medication, I manage to minimse that with also using relaxation.

the thing is if its an addictive drug like morphine, you will evetually have to take more and more to get the same effect, and IMO, your better of leaving that as an absolutley last step... Aqaua Jogging sounds like it would be good for you, especially if you have a bung knee

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you need to consider the difference between addiction and physical dependance, they are quite different. Scott Fishman, MD has a pretty good discussion here. http://www.painfoundation.org/page.asp?file=QandA/Addiction.htm

As far as addicition being a bad thing, improper pain management can lead to even more issues, but thats a point of view that is not very popular outside of a narrow specialty area. Or I should say used to be. I sort of dropped out of the field a few years back, and haven't kept up to speed on the latest research, or trends within the medical community.

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
romecoming said:

It's strange how addiction works.Whatever one is addicted to,that thing becomes a primary concern.An addict may well know that they are fudging on daily dose.They may even have said that if this should occour, they will tell their doctor.But when they get to the point that they must reveal this.Instead of saying,Doc I'm concerned,because on more than a few occasions, I have taken two pills instead of one in a day.One will feel a strong urge to say,Doc,this dose doesn't seem to be enough.Up to a point,he will increase your dose without question.If the dose we are talking about is very low to begin with,it probably won't solve your pain problem.I'm in pain 24-7,but for me it's an equitable trade,to be free of addiction.I find that in spite of it I'm able to lead an active life.Yes there are times when the pain keeps me from sleeping.33 years of pipefitting have pretty much wreaked my joints.Right now for instance my knees are just thumping.But in a few minunites I'm going to get on my bike trainer,and do a 45 minunite workout.When it's over with, the knees will be fine.

Upvote 0

moonaute

Jan 3, 2006
✟147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
romecoming said:

First of all I'd like to say I am praying and hoping that you will be able to find a way to deal with the pain without narcotics. They are extremely addicting, and if you use them for a long period of time (which is sounds like your doctor is going to do?) they become less and less effective. In October of last year I was rear ended by a drunk driver and two discs in my jaw were displaced and one completely dislocated and torn. I also have cronic pain in my nerved on my right leg because of a nerve problem I had when I was 19. Migraines are a completely different story, and I get them quite frequently. I just want you to know that you are not alone. There are many different approches you can take on this road, and it seems that you have tried a lot (NSAIDS, warm heat, cold packs, and even the tens unit (I have one of those too!) ) I'm sorry that it seems like they are not working, but like any other thing, the medicine that your doctor prescribes will have to be raised the more and more you take it. My advice is if your doctor prescribes a narcotic, ONLY and ONLY when you are in severe pain, take that medicine. Try to stick to your other methods because narcotics are (no matter what people say or say that they won't become addicted - I swore up and down I wouldn't - but it happened) -- very addicting.

Try as best as you can to look into a pain management center. I do not know if you have heard of the Cleveland Clinic, but they have an excellent pain management program and may be able to link you to things in your area which will help. There are also several books online that you can look at about managing your pain. My prayers go out to you and strength as well.

Be well,
Laura

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

romecoming said:

I can say from expereince that addiction to a pain med is not the way to go.

Nor is thinking that a small dose won't lead to it.
I was on morphine for my back before and after my surgeries, I started out on a 40mg a day dose. The Dr. moved me up to as high as 320 mg a day, When the meds wouldn't even touch the pain.
After over a year on this med, I got addicted. I went thru the worst withdrawls for several weeks even with properly tapering off the morphine.
I have been off ALL pain meds for about 18 months now and have stayed away from them.
Please be careful when taking any kind of narcotic for pain and above all, Follow the Dr's orders VERY closely. If you have any problems, Let him/her know.

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

I also suffer from chronic migraines.
I do not take any meds the Dr. prescribes unless absolutely necessary.

I have midrin and imitrex for them, But, I found that benedryl works by accident when I had one for over a week solid and I ended up in the ER.

The Dr. gave me a benedryl injection as a last resort after trying several other things.
I keep a supply of benedryl on hand for this reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tfkeel

Jan 30, 2006
Pennsylvania
✟15,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife takes high doses of opioids now for many years. She is a poster child for why one shouldn't do this. Her quality of life is in the cellar, she mostly just lies in bed sleeping off-and-on 24/7. Her nutrition is awful, and she has given up any type of work whatsoever for more than 10 years now. The television gets louder every year. She now wants it so loud that I can't sleep well if I stay in bed with her anymore. The hearing loss is a side effect of the opiates. She has been hospitalized about 25 times, mostly for pneumonia, secondary to her lowered respiration rate from the opiates.

The question, really, is not addiction, not physical dependence, but whether the medication does you more harm than good.

Upvote 0

rosemoss

The Lord is my STRENGTH!
Apr 24, 2005
Kansas
✟29,116.00
Faith
Baptist
I'ddie4him said:
I also suffer from chronic migraines.
I do not take any meds the Dr. prescribes unless absolutely necessary.

I have midrin and imitrex for them, But, I found that benedryl works by accident when I had one for over a week solid and I ended up in the ER.

The Dr. gave me a benedryl injection as a last resort after trying several other things.
I keep a supply of benedryl on hand for this reason.

Very interesting....I'll have to try that. How many do you take at a time? 1, 2? Does just one dose work for you?

God Bless,

rosemoss

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

rosemoss said:
Very interesting....I'll have to try that. How many do you take at a time? 1, 2? Does just one dose work for you?

God Bless,

rosemoss

Hey rosemoss,

I usually take 2 benydryl capsules when I have one.
I just get the benydryl over the counter and I think it is a 30mg ?? dose when taking 2.
If one dose doesn't work, I will take another about 5 to 6 hours later.
This is usually enough to get rid of it.
Something about the antihistamines in it works for me. Dr isn't sure why or how. :scratch:

Upvote 0

bertie

Oct 25, 2005
enderby bc canada
✟1,283.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
CA-Greens
Great you advise people not to take opiates for pain,and you perscribe bendryl for migrains.What are your qualifications?
Lets not get into prescribing for each other.and if i were you i would consult my doctor before taking anything for anything....
I have been on M-eslom for seven years.(morphine 12 hr time release capsules.)I found my dose 40 mg twice daily, early,and have not increased it over that period.
I use marijuana on doctors consultation for muscular spasms,as well as appetite,i could take prosac or valium,but the marijuana seems to do the function of taking care of my depression well enough that i dont need these to counteract any deprssive symptoms.
This has served me in good stead from the effects of seven missing discs in my back,as well as traumatic damage that occured during my working career.(my sacroiliac is fairly toasted.)
Because the discs are gone,the back bones(vertebrae)grind my nerves in between them mercilessly.This is a 24/7 scenario.and there have been times when without medication,i have been close to insane from the agony of it.(I wrap a bedsheet tightly around my rib cage and hold it tight while breathing in and out as gently and shallowly as possible so as not to disturb things .)
Yes, i guess i am addicted to the morphine,but at least i am able to live a half normal life.Without it i very likely would have taken the high dive long ago.....(just kidding NOT!)
The stigma ivolved in using opiates for pain,the social BS,is worse than the habit for me.....
People who suffer many different types of injuries and conditions where they experience long term debilitating pain,dont nessessarily look very injured.And when they are properly medicated, dont appear to be severly in distress.Therefore the average person looks at them and finds it hard to believe that they are actually in need of the medication.(i dont blame them,i do it to myself and others.)Its natural to wonder about these things,because we really are sinful in nature.Like it or not we constantly judge people we dont hardly know very harshly indeed.
As a result chronic pain sufferers are never out from ubder the microscope.Especially those who have to rely on opiates for long term relief.They are always running into those who sneer and decry them as junkies and wimps.
The hypocracy is nowhere more evident than in church.(any church)
Christians it seems have a harder time accepting that there are somethings that no matter how faithfull the idividual has tried to be,The Holy Spirit will not heal.
Why did God allow satan to torture Job?why do bad things happen to relatively good people?Only God has the answer to this....
In the meantime,i am tired of being treated as if i had no faith and thus am not healed.
In order to live as reasonably normal life as possible ,I take opiates.They by no means leave me flying in some junkie seventh heaven,and by no means mask all the pain.That this is my cross to bear is evident.However,it gets very sickening to the soul to go to church and have the congregation treat you like you were a leper.
The fact remains that for long term chronic pain,of some types,using opiates for relief is the best all round solution.
Untill our pharmacopia is better stocked to deal with pain of all types,it will remain as the proven painkiller with the least side effects.
The idea that you will become a screaming junkie seeing snakes and having nightmares without it is very much hype.The reality of being in severe pain in the first place takes most of the euphoria associated with their use away.When in real disabling agony,what choice is there?I assure you that there is a lot of misinformed opinion in the christian,(straight as well)community that is totally unfounded ignorance.
The definition of chronic pain means that one is in agony much of the time without medication and treatment.
There are a lot worse things to be suffered in terms of side effects of pain medicines that are new on the market-non narcotics.
If you suffer the symptoms then you have a right to seek relief from whatever source that helps.the rest is social bs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I

I'ddie4him

bertie said:
Great you advise people not to take opiates for pain,and you perscribe bendryl for migrains.What are your qualifications?
Where in my post did you see that ??
Maybe a hallucination ??
I said I don't take anything unless necessary.
My Dr. has even approved the benydryl for my migraines.
bertie said:
Lets not get into prescribing for each other.and if i were you i would consult my doctor before taking anything for anything....
Already done so. Try again.
bertie said:
I have been on M-eslom for seven years.(morphine 12 hr time release capsules.)I found my dose 40 mg twice daily, early,and have not increased it over that period.
I use marijuana on doctors consultation for muscular spasms,as well as appetite,i could take prosac or valium,but the marijuana seems to do the function of taking care of my depression well enough that i dont need these to counteract any deprssive symptoms.
This has served me in good stead from the effects of seven missing discs in my back,as well as traumatic damage that occured during my working career.(my sacroiliac is fairly toasted.)
Because the discs are gone,the back bones(vertebrae)grind my nerves in between them mercilessly.This is a 24/7 scenario.and there have been times when without medication,i have been close to insane from the agony of it.(I wrap a bedsheet tightly around my rib cage and hold it tight while breathing in and out as gently and shallowly as possible so as not to disturb things .)
Yes, i guess i am addicted to the morphine,but at least i am able to live a half normal life.Without it i very likely would have taken the high dive long ago.....(just kidding NOT!)
The stigma ivolved in using opiates for pain,the social BS,is worse than the habit for me.....
People who suffer many different types of injuries and conditions where they experience long term debilitating pain,dont nessessarily look very injured.And when they are properly medicated, dont appear to be severly in distress.Therefore the average person looks at them and finds it hard to believe that they are actually in need of the medication.(i dont blame them,i do it to myself and others.)Its natural to wonder about these things,because we really are sinful in nature.Like it or not we constantly judge people we dont hardly know very harshly indeed.
As a result chronic pain sufferers are never out from ubder the microscope.Especially those who have to rely on opiates for long term relief.They are always running into those who sneer and decry them as junkies and wimps.
The hypocracy is nowhere more evident than in church.(any church)
Christians it seems have a harder time accepting that there are somethings that no matter how faithfull the idividual has tried to be,The Holy Spirit will not heal.
Why did God allow satan to torture Job?why do bad things happen to relatively good people?Only God has the answer to this....
In the meantime,i am tired of being treated as if i had no faith and thus am not healed.
In order to live as reasonably normal life as possible ,I take opiates.They by no means leave me flying in some junkie seventh heaven,and by no means mask all the pain.That this is my cross to bear is evident.However,it gets very sickening to the soul to go to church and have the congregation treat you like you were a leper.
The fact remains that for long term chronic pain,of some types,using opiates for relief is the best all round solution.
Untill our pharmacopia is better stocked to deal with pain of all types,it will remain as the proven painkiller with the least side effects.
The idea that you will become a screaming junkie seeing snakes and having nightmares without it is very much hype.The reality of being in severe pain in the first place takes most of the euphoria associated with their use away.When in real disabling agony,what choice is there?I assure you that there is a lot of misinformed opinion in the christian,(straight as well)community that is totally unfounded ignorance.
The definition of chronic pain means that one is in agony much of the time without medication and treatment.
There are a lot worse things to be suffered in terms of side effects of pain medicines that are new on the market-non narcotics.
If you suffer the symptoms then you have a right to seek relief from whatever source that helps.the rest is social bs.

I took morphine myself for many months and I NEVER told anyone to NOT take it if they need it.
I DON'T take it cause I can deal with the pain now WITHOUT narcotics.
Don't presume to try to THINK you know what I am thinking.
Clear ??:wave:

Upvote 0

Just Me Garry

Feb 5, 2005
Arkansas
✟1,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
romecoming said:

My wife has fibromyalgia and I have tried to get her doctor to prescribe a tens unit for her to use but they will not do it. I have an EMS unit which is much differnet than TENS is but it does help somewhat. I believe the TENS unit would help her a lot but in the United States you have to have a prescription for such a thing.

She has to take strong narcotic type pain medincine constantly to control her pain but is in no way addicted to it.

I have to take blood pressure, depression and diabetes medicines every day so I would not see anything wrong with somebody taking pain medicine everyday to help manage their pain.

I believe any drug could be misused, but somewho who is really needing it is not likely to abuse such drugs.

:)

Upvote 0

Just Me Garry

Feb 5, 2005
Arkansas
✟1,625.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
romecoming said:

My wife takes pain medicines for fibromyalgia everyday to manage her pain just like I take blood pressure, diabetes, and depression medicine to manage my health problems.

I do not think one is likely to get addicted to drugs due to an ongoing condition that is out of their control.

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

Just so a few will know about me as others do.

I have Degenerative disk disease, Spinal stenosis, and have had 5 major surgeries on my back since May of 2003.
My spine is fused into one peice from L-3 vertabrae down to S-1.
I have several screws, rods, and cages in my spine now.

Romecoming,
I know of the possibilities of addictions you speak of.
It can happen with any narcotic or opiate pain meds.

I am not telling anyone to stop taking their meds, I am simply saying that I deal with my pain in my own way.
That way is to not take any narcotics of any sort.
Just Me Garry said:
I believe any drug could be misused, but somewho who is really needing it is not likely to abuse such drugs.
I do not think one is likely to get addicted to drugs due to an ongoing condition that is out of their control.

WRONG.
Yes, It is possible to become addicted to pain meds even at the prescribed dosage from the Dr.
The body begins to tolerate that dosage after a period of time and the dosage gets raised to compensate.
I know several people who became addicted to their morphine and oxycontin after months of narcotic therapy for pain. I was one of them.

I still have a great deal of pain from my surgeries and post laminectomy syndrome.
If narcotics work for you, Thats great. But, I hope no one will try again to twist my words to say I am telling anyone NOT to take the meds.
Just that addictions DO occur. To deny that it can happen is being dishonest with ones self.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Some interesting insights. As to taking each others advise we know our own bodies and if we have a good relationship with our docs they can do a pretty good job of helping us with our pain management.

My credentials: both knees blown-one surgery, both shoulders out-one surgery, grade one spondilio lower back, disc decease in neck, and I have to use orthotics in my shoes. Pain?!...too much sometimes.:sigh:

My doc and I keep close taps on my meds and the dosages which are low. She says it's probably for life and I know that with out them I couldn't function for long. You have to be on your toes and pay attention to what your body is telling you. I take the same dos every night but sometimes that just doesn't cut it and I take a little more...and low and behold, I sleep and I wake up looking less like a pretzel than when I went to bed.^_^ If you are looking at a life time of pain then you have to do the best job you can to regulate your meds...but living without them may not be a possibility. Be accountable to someone like your spouce who may see warning signs you may miss and see your doc regularly.

Quality of life, I used to be deathly affraid of be coming addicted but I have accepted that my body is "dependant" on them to be free enough of pain to function.

As to Keel's sitch, yes opitates can be very dangerous and require close regulation from a doc and spouse.

I'm noone to hand out advise Keel, but I would find away to get help for both of you, being that drugged is killing both of you and I say this with a heavy sad heart for you and your wife and I will pray for you both.:prayer:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.