✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
hello,

Within the Anglican/Episcopalian tradition, is there any formal or recognised process of preparation for communion (self-examination, confession, fasting, etc), so as to partake in a worthy manner (c.f. 1 Cor 11:27-32)? Thanks!

Deborah

Self-examination, yes.

Confession, yes -- via the General Confession that is part of the liturgy and recited by the whole congregation.

Fasting, not normally done, although I feel that most Anglicans still postpone a big meal until after worship.

Upvote 0

Trainlady

Feb 18, 2011
United States
✟7,851.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Self-examination, yes.

Confession, yes -- via the General Confession that is part of the liturgy and recited by the whole congregation.

Fasting, not normally done, although I feel that most Anglicans still postpone a big meal until after worship.

I think this is a good summary. Personally, I try to clear my thoughts and sincerely ask for Christ's mercy over what "I have done and what I have left undone". I think the whole service prior serves to prepare one to receive communion.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There are little prayer books you can get containing various appropriate personal devotions for before and after Communion.

It is a good idea to discuss personal confession with your priest. There is a general confession as part of the liturgy but every personal situation is different and it is usually a good idea to get someone else's perspective on what is appropriate for you. Generally in Anglican parishes you need to make an appointment for personal confession to a priest.

Different people fast differently. A fairly common regime is to avoid any food from supper the night before until after the Eucharistic liturgy, but that really only makes sense if you attend in the morning. I tend to have a very light breakfast because I'm inclined to faint, and every person has a different situation. The main thing is to find out what makes sense and is spiritually beneficial to you, and the best place to explore that is with your priest or spiritual adviser.

Upvote 0

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟119,853.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Albion, Trainlady, MKJ, Higgs2, thanks for your replies! I knew of the general confession in the liturgy, but wasn't sure if there was any specific preparation on an individual level beyond that. Your insights have been very helpful. Thanks again.

Deborah

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In the 1979 BCP there is a prayer for before and after receiving communion,66 and 67 on page 834. You can get them online or if not let me know and I will type them out for you. Aso, there is the Prayer of Humble access on p. 337 in 1979 BCP, and can be found in most Anglican prayer books I believe. hth

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

I agree with this. A person who is baptized becomes part of the body of Christ and the priesthood of all believers, and knows that she or he is a sinner and is sorry for sin and wishes to be free from it. The general confession during the liturgy satisfies the requirement, since we all believe that Jesus is present in some form in the host. I don't think it matters what we call that presence or how it might come about -- but what matters is what is in our hearts, and God knows that better than we ourselves.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this. A person who is baptized becomes part of the body of Christ and the priesthood of all believers, and knows that she or he is a sinner and is sorry for sin and wishes to be free from it. The general confession during the liturgy satisfies the requirement, since we all believe that Jesus is present in some form in the host. I don't think it matters what we call that presence or how it might come about -- but what matters is what is in our hearts, and God knows that better than we ourselves.

Higgs was right to include that requirement of course, and I think the rest of us just assumed, because of the way the OP was worded, that the question referred to a baptised member of another mainline denomination. We probably shouldn't have done that.:blush:

Upvote 0

Augustinosia

Orthodox Christian
Feb 8, 2012
None
✟119,853.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Higgs2 - Thanks for pointing out the before and after communion prayers, and the Prayer of Humble Access. :) I've borrowed a copy of the BCP that the Anglican church I attend uses, which contains before and after communion prayers. The Prayer of Humble Access I found online. Thanks again.

Higgs2, Look Homeward Anglican, Albion - I agree, baptism is an essential prerequisite before receiving communion. :) Albion, you assumed correctly - I meant preparation for baptised Christians, either Anglicans/Episcopalians or of other denominations who may receive communion in Anglican/Episcopalian churches. I apologise for the oversight :doh: and any confusion caused. :sorry:

Thanks again
Deborah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Episcoboi

hello,

Within the Anglican/Episcopalian tradition, is there any formal or recognised process of preparation for communion (self-examination, confession, fasting, etc), so as to partake in a worthy manner (c.f. 1 Cor 11:27-32)? Thanks!

Deborah

Honestly, I think this is very personal and will depend on individuals and the traditions that are particularly meaningful to them. For me, self-examination is definitely necessary. I will not take communion if I don't feel that I have lived the week in a way which brought holiness into the world. As far as confession, I feel that the entire liturgy as prayer of petition, praise, and seeking "God's face" is a time to confess, to seek forgiveness, and to bring repentance into our lives. As far as fasting, I'm very traditional. I do not eat from Sunday Midnight until after the liturgy. However, this is not necessary, nor should it be done if you have extenuating health issues that would make this unsafe. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0