Does God discipline His children to the point of death?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟83,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 12:

5b My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. 6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.
The Lord loves us; he disciplines us out of love for us.

11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Usually, at the end of the discipline is peace.

Elsewhere in 1 Cor 11:

27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself. 30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.
In some cases, discipline can end in death.

31 But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world.
Out of love, God disciplines us. Learn from it to have peace. Even if we die from the discipline, we are not condemned.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Does it happen today?

I do not believe in the way Peter confronted Ananias and Sapphira, telling them that God is taking their life this very moment.

In this time period, God may let believers sins they are doing take their life, like a drug abuser or alcoholic. If they continue to abuse drugs or alcohol that will eventually take a believers life. Or God may let the person's life be taken by violent means (murder, etc..) i would guess that depends on the person and the sins they are doing. But God also could just out right end a believers life, they could just drop dead.

But God is a gracious God so a believer may receive a lot of second chances before God actually does take their life.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But God is a gracious God so a believer may receive a lot of second chances before God actually does take their life.
I believe this above all! I was the one that you mentioned and God gave me a multitude of chances.
If they continue to abuse drugs or alcohol that will eventually take a believers life.
Also true, I believe that abundant life comes from God's warning about sin. I know I've shortened my days by sin and almost ended it prematurely when I almost overdosed.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I believe this above all! I was the one that you mentioned and God gave me a multitude of chances.

Also true, I believe that abundant life comes from God's warning about sin. I know I've shortened my days by sin and almost ended it prematurely when I almost overdosed.
-
It is always best for believers to live as sin free as they can. That is not a condition in receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life, but it is a factor when the believer is at the judgment seat of Jesus. The more their earthly life was wrought with sin, the more loss (rewards) the believer will experience at the bema seat judgment

That is what the taking of a believers life really effects, the chance they have to reverse course and bear fruit for future rewards that will never be lost.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Scary stuff, lots of things to be judged for because of my past.

Well if that is before you became a believer, that life may not be judged. What is being judged at the judgment seat of The Messiah is what you did with your life after believing in Jesus and becoming a born again child of God.

Also congratulations on you getting away from abuse of whatever was your problem.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well if that is before you became a believer, that life may not be judged. What is being judged at the judgment seat of The Messiah is what you did with your life after believing in Jesus and becoming a born again child of God.

Also congratulations on you getting away from abuse of whatever was your problem.
Like I said scary stuff. :(

Upvote 0