Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"critical mass and quality teachers before going that route."

If a school gets established one can always hire people coming out of a program to become teachers. There's always a pool of people to get teachers from. They will of course understand that they are working at an Orthodox school, and they will have to abide by certain standards and expectations.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just spoke with my wife and we are going to let him finish this year out then send him to the other school in the fall. It will get him out and not stir up trouble.

sounds like a solid plan. just outta curiousity, but does your Church have an active or a way for your kid to be active (like a youth group of some kind, or a close camp or something). this kinda stuff can help correct the garbage the world throws at us.

Lord have mercy

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
EO really don't have schools in America? That's kind of shocking to me. The COC has St. Clement Academy in Nashville, which teaches kindergarten through eighth grade. I don't know about the quality of instruction there, but I do know that they teach Coptic language and a Coptic hymns class, in addition to the usual subjects a secular school would teach (and it looks like most of the teachers are not Copts, so I get the feeling competency in teaching is probably a priority over church membership, thankfully). And the Armenians have had schools in the USA for decades now. There are at least a dozen of them in California alone, covering elementary and high school.

I would've thought you guys had the edge over most other non-RC affiliated Eastern Christians in America, given the relative disparity in population and wealth between the EO and everyone else (if we take together the Greeks, various Slavs, etc.). Huh. Is there any reason why this doesn't happen at a rate commensurate with the size of your church?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"I would've thought you guys had the edge over most other non-RC affiliated Eastern Christians in America, given the relative disparity in population and wealth between the EO and everyone else (if we take together the Greeks, various Slavs, etc.). Huh. Is there any reason why this doesn't happen at a rate commensurate with the size of your church?"

Myopic focus on ethnicity over Christ.

Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are actually several Orthodox Schools in the USA. I know of one in San Francisco, and I think there was one in...Kansas? It has a video on YouTube. You can find it by searching "Orthodox Classical School" I think. Actually a lot of the Orthodox schools in North America are Classical Education, for some reason. At least the ones I know of.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is hard for me to write because of my personal convictions about racial issues but I need some Orthodox input.

My son is in second grade and since kindergarten has attended the same school. The school has a low rating within the district and has had persistent racially based issues over the years. Even my neighbor, who is Black, refuses to send his daughter because, in his words, "It's a ghetto school."

The predominant racial makeup of the school isn't an issue for me, I want my son to grow up not holding stereotypes and I stress to him that all people are equal. I don't sugarcoat history for him and want him to know about the struggles Black people have endured. I want him to appreciate my heroes like Dr. King and John Brown.

That said, I'm thinking of transferring him to another school because they take the issue far beyond education and history. Every reading assignment is about slavery or civil rights issues or how great Barak Obama is. I'm tired of my son coming home with his head down, telling me he wishes he wasn't White and feels guilty because of all the bad things Whites did to Blacks. I'm tired of hearing him talk about how good President Obama is and how he wants to vote for him. We aren't political so he is getting this indoctrination at school and I'm not at all comfortable with it. I dare not speak up about it because it will get me branded racist.

Should we just transfer him as quietly as possible or try to endure and privately counter the indoctrination?

Perhaps it's just me - but after experiencing life in multiple school/cultural settings (i.e. going to a private Christian school that was highly conservative/predominately white and Reformed while previously going to a mixed public school - and a Catholic elementary school in a predominately black neighborhood - and later going to a HBCU where a black focus was always emphasized), my mindset is that there are always opportunities for others to truly learn and study together. Rather than be upset at how much the people seem to speak on slavery and civil rights, it may be beneficial to find ways of connection with the students he has by showing alternative history pertaining to the matter....things which other blacks have long noted when being in schools that only teach things from one perspective, even within the group.

In example, as much as I hear others speak on the civil rights being based on non-violence, you'll rarely hear on how there were many militant/self-defense groups that existed as members of the Civil Rights movement and made the movement possible - with one excellent read on the issue being the following:

For another example, as often as I hear of blacks speak on slavery, I am surprised why others don't also speak on black slave owners - and th[URL="http://www.christianforums.com/t7716382-2/#post62634447"]e ways that shifted a lot of things in black communities - and I'm glad for others daring to say that the notion of a homogenous African American group united by a common African ethnicity and culture is a myth
[/URL]. There are multiple cases where Blacks were considered "white" based on what they actually did or said in critique. Happens all the times in the South. For when it comes to cultural views, of course one can be black in appearance even though they are effectively white in their outlook and their views....with the inverse being true as well, just as it was when Southern Italians were considered “black” in the South due to the shared experience that they had with blacks due to coloration, even though they did not identify with either Black Americans fully or White America.

This is actually a common experience for many other Blacks as well when it comes to people assuming they automatically identify with African-American culture simply because of how they look - even though they do not and they will go even further to note that they don't really identify as "Black" as we understand it due to the ancestry aspect. , from seeing themselves as European or Asian (rather than white or black) or

[*]AFRO-EUROPE: A History of Black people in Europe
[/LIST]

StereoTypes Paris - French African vs. African American? - YouTube

The history of how the world is can be fascinating...

As it concerns the diversity of white culture, this is also something the peers of your child need to understand and it's a benefit when others are able to learn - as it concerns the many wonderful things whites have done in history toward others - like the Irish Slave Trade...as an example....OR the many ways blacks/whites had shared experiences during the era of Reconstruction. For if looking back from the 20th century when the Jim Crow system was firmly in place, we can assume too easily that all whites, whether rich or poor, agreed on how society should be ordered...but in recent decades, scholars of the Civil War have emphasized that one of the key reasons for the defeat of the Confederacy was the growing disenchantment, dissent, and outright resistance of poor whites to support the war...and many whites championed for the freedom of blacks, be it with Levi Coffin (known as the president of the Underground Railroad) or Elijah Lovejoy in his newspaper publishing to combat white supremacy/racism (at the risk of his own life) or other notable ones being William Lloyd Garrison who published the Liberator, a radical anti-slavery newspaper, from 1831 until after the end of the Civil War in 1865. ...and even with the Civil Rights era, we cannot forget the Freedom Riders who fought for blacks to have equality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66_kqSG6aHI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUs_rl6oE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQbqzaRAql8

The list goes on with regards to the extensive amount of whites who went against the stereotype many blacks have - and growing up with a Scotish white Great-Grandfather (now 104yrs old) and having a multicultural family, it's hard not to be constantly aware of how you have to always fight for accuracy when others from all around try to place you in categories you simply don't fit in. Being so mixed as I am (Afro-Latino), it's a never-ending battle...:) And even as it concerns the president, the same reality is present for having the facts - as even my grand-father (after witnessing a century of the world and seeing politics all around even when working as a sailor on the docks of the Panama Canal) can still appreciate the president/complicated situations and note what others should be thankful for in the president rather than always critiquing him for a number of things....and many schools have that same basis when it comes to noting why they don't focus solely on Obama being a bad guy. Many whites have noted the same thing...just as others have noted even as they critique the president as a president

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ghdirLe7w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kMNa3uK77k

Rather than allowing one to feel guilty for being white, the issue in my mind is simply dealing with history as it was - and trying to find ways of connection while also showing that one values black culture enough to want to know/share facts - or listen. Just a thought. A lot of things can occur when it comes to knowing where to get education from - and if nothing else, see the scope of how big things are. Something that helped me out a lot was being raised in a family that valued history and promoted learning at the home so that what I saw at the school did not bother me as much if I things were continually promoted. One of the best resources I've seen - be it for parents or teachers wishing to give holistic instruction - would be » Explore by Time Period Zinn Education Project

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think some of those issues can be gently overcome, but explicit politicking is not good. I'd not listen to some of some of the "white panic" you might hear on this board, but some gentle education about some aspects of history might be helpful. But you do have to make sure not to overcorrect, as racism still exists, racism still causes major problems, and white privilege is a real, real thing.
Very true - as there are issues on both sides and there has been wisdom at all points.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I agree with what you've written, Gxg (G²). How do you think educators and others can address racial issues like this in a way that doesn't overwhelm kids or make them hate themselves? It broke my heart to read in the OP that a second grader, a little child, would feel bad for their skin color based on what they got out of that day's lesson.

I grew up in a mixed Anglo/Latino town and family, and don't recall ever being made to feel bad about that when we would learn about Latino cultural identity, politics, history, etc. in elementary school (mostly in Spanish, mostly from Hispanic teachers). I have to believe this can be done in other racial and cultural contexts. They can't have lost the technology over the last 30 years!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
there are schools, but they are of no consequence, isolated, short lived, and few and far between. and no one outside of a small circle of Orthodox people know of them.

For as long as there been Orthodox people in this country, there's no excuse for the lack of primary, secondary, and higher educational institutions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My previous post was serious commentary; I'm surprised that Gurney, at least, didn't comment on it. :)

But I notice people keep using this word "education", as if it had a clear meaning and everybody knew what it was, kind of like "Brain, brain, what is brain??" (From the old series episode "Spock's Brain").

I think hardly anyone has clearly exposited or even contemplated the word, or asked whether modern schooling has any value in itself or produces any education whatsoever. If "education" means "forming", then certainly schools educate, as Ford factories form cars and Auschwitz - corpses.

One thing that dominates our thought is this superstition that schooling produces education in any sense of intelligent thought.

Thought that requires actual education - an applied commitment to read for three minutes straight and think carefully about what one has read, something that the graduates of modern schools seem to have tremendous difficulty in doing:

"The Superstition of School," by G.K. Chesterton - Classic Essays and Speeches

The time when people could stand for three hours to listen carefully to a complex debate over vital issues, like the Lincoln-Douglass debates over slavery, are long past.
We live in a time of brief posts and comments, YouTube videos, graphic displays and short attention spans.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just now saw it, that's why! I've been slammed with work this week, brother Rus. Exhausted! I only cherry pick through the forum and dance around, not reading or even seeing everything lately.

I do think it's hilarious that you're posting Trek stuff given the super extensive "Star Trek is secular humanist atheist drivel!" posts you've put up! ^_^ Maybe there's still a touch of Trekkie left in that expatriot! just maybe!

btw, Spock's Brain is the Plan 9 From Outer Space of Star Trek! A true low point. A deliciously hilarious, yet definite low point! The only lower point in Trek history was, imho, "The Way to Eden." I still get the giggles at that episode! Absolutely breathtakingly awful! :p

As for public education, I feel like a relic from the past living in an alien land. I'm like Heinlein---"Stranger in a Strange Land." I feel like a rider of Rohan, a Rohirrim after the king is possessed and his court beguiled. I still fight the good fight, alter things, manipulate the system, do some 'undercover' teaching, and I preach Christ at great risk. It is a burning building, but I'm still running in to rescue kids.

My previous post was serious commentary; I'm surprised that Gurney, at least, didn't comment on it. :)

But I notice people keep using this word "education", as if it had a clear meaning and everybody knew what it was, kind of like "Brain, brain, what is brain??" (From the old series episode "Spock's Brain").

I think hardly anyone has clearly exposited or even contemplated the word, or asked whether modern schooling has any value in itself or produces any education whatsoever. If "education" means "forming", then certainly schools educate, as Ford factories form cars and Auschwitz - corpses.

One thing that dominates our thought is this superstition that schooling produces education in any sense of intelligent thought.

Thought that requires actual education - an applied commitment to read for three minutes straight and think carefully about what one has read, something that the graduates of modern schools seem to have tremendous difficulty in doing:

"The Superstition of School," by G.K. Chesterton - Classic Essays and Speeches

The time when people could stand for three hours to listen carefully to a complex debate over vital issues, like the Lincoln-Douglass debates over slavery, are long past.
We live in a time of brief posts and comments, YouTube videos, graphic displays and short attention spans.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just now saw it, that's why! I've been slammed with work this week, brother Rus. Exhausted! I only cherry pick through the forum and dance around, not reading or even seeing everything lately.

I do think it's hilarious that you're posting Trek stuff given the super extensive "Star Trek is secular humanist atheist drivel!" posts you've put up! ^_^ Maybe there's still a touch of Trekkie left in that expatriot! just maybe!

btw, Spock's Brain is the Plan 9 From Outer Space of Star Trek! A true low point. A deliciously hilarious, yet definite low point! The only lower point in Trek history was, imho, "The Way to Eden." I still get the giggles at that episode! Absolutely breathtakingly awful! :p

As for public education, I feel like a relic from the past living in an alien land. I'm like Heinlein---"Stranger in a Strange Land." I feel like a rider of Rohan, a Rohirrim after the king is possessed and his court beguiled. I still fight the good fight, alter things, manipulate the system, do some 'undercover' teaching, and I preach Christ at great risk. It is a burning building, but I'm still running in to rescue kids.

That is admirable. More power to you, really!

I would just kick defense of the schools as a good thing that actually provides reliable education worth being called by that term.

In the end, though, you will be driven out. You need to prepare for that eventuality.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My wife spoke to someone at the district office and he was sympathetic and very helpful. He said it's a common problem there and that we were doing the right thing. A couple from Church who live near the other school agreed to serve as "custodial guardians for educational purposes only" so he can attend there. I know several people who have worked at his current school and it is a hostile place for those who are not willing to keep their heads down and toe the line. The principal is very much in charge and any ideas or activities must conform to her agenda.

We are becoming more active at Church and with weekly DL, my son will have more chances to help and we should become a tighter community with more services. I'm going to suggest doing more activities for the kids and try to help as I am able.

On a positive note, it is official that we are celebrating our first Pascha here this year!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nah. I'm good. The Holy Spirit is kind and strong, and keeps watch over me. I've always found a way to be stealth!

I can retire at 53. I'm turning 40 in 12 days. I'll make it one way or another, God willing. Just pray for me, that's all I ask. :):crosseo: And if I don't make it, my wife's an RN who makes more money than I do! :sorry::sorry::sorry:

That is admirable. More power to you, really!

I would just kick defense of the schools as a good thing that actually provides reliable education worth being called by that term.

In the end, though, you will be driven out. You need to prepare for that eventuality.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My wife spoke to someone at the district office and he was sympathetic and very helpful. He said it's a common problem there and that we were doing the right thing. A couple from Church who live near the other school agreed to serve as "custodial guardians for educational purposes only" so he can attend there. I know several people who have worked at his current school and it is a hostile place for those who are not willing to keep their heads down and toe the line. The principal is very much in charge and any ideas or activities must conform to her agenda.

We are becoming more active at Church and with weekly DL, my son will have more chances to help and we should become a tighter community with more services. I'm going to suggest doing more activities for the kids and try to help as I am able.

On a positive note, it is official that we are celebrating our first Pascha here this year!

That's good news about your parish. One thing our parish has done is have weekly classes to augment homeschooling. Our current priest is a former teacher but I don't know if he will be able to continue that activity. It isn't as good as having a full school, but it's something. I have no idea if homeschooling is even a consideration for your family. I know I would not have been able to homeschool mine.

Mary

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree with what you've written, Gxg (G²). How do you think educators and others can address racial issues like this in a way that doesn't overwhelm kids or make them hate themselves? It broke my heart to read in the OP that a second grader, a little child, would feel bad for their skin color based on what they got out of that day's lesson.

I grew up in a mixed Anglo/Latino town and family, and don't recall ever being made to feel bad about that when we would learn about Latino cultural identity, politics, history, etc. in elementary school (mostly in Spanish, mostly from Hispanic teachers). I have to believe this can be done in other racial and cultural contexts. They can't have lost the technology over the last 30 years!
In light of your experience growing up, I agree with you that there's no reason that the same can occur in other places.....and seeing other families I know of and many other examples where others grew up in mixed communities or in settings where a school had one dominant ethnic group and respect occurred, I don't go with the idea that it cannot be done.

I think that the concept of education cannot be made separate from what occurs in the family. In previous times, education was not seen as the responsibility of the schools primarily since what was taught was reinforced at the home - and others taught needed skills such as learning how to listen to long-debates, do critical thinking and value the world you live in. These things still happen today, of course. From a personal standpoint, I am reminded of the work I once did at a small Montosori school based on the One Room School house model where education was more personal (which many used when denied education and they taught with fewer resources than their white counterparts and yet often had more success while also having freedom to teach on black history/things to be proud of since most of the other schools would not). Being there, I was amazed at how much difference others had in success because of parent-teacher involvement and not doing things based on an assembly-line model for teaching where others were all taught the same - or others were taught without having learning happening the home. If a child has a strong self-image developed at the home they come from, what's said in the schools will not really take them off guard.

For many families who cannot afford to send their children to private schools or charter schools, I am amazed to see how successful their children are in spite of things - those kids going on to do great things because things were handled well at the home. But in regards to kids feeling bad, I think the way things can be handled is by simply training others to deal in facts and debate: Don't deny something if it's true and actually happened - as history is history and there have been negative things happening in all ethnic groups...and while we don't need to act as if the actions of others in our ancestors past are our fault (if those actions are evil/left an impact), there also does not need to be a false mindset saying that any level of regret on negative things done is wrong...specifically if it seems no one acknowledges them. I've seen this when others were shocked at me being in a Christian- College prep high school and listening to what they had to say about the Civil War (from a white perspective) in justifying slavery - and although I disagreed with it strongly, I chose to listen....but I also discussed with the other students and had many good debates with others (even teachers) when it came to what I grew up with. At those points, it became an issue of "Who is the better debator and what are the facts?" - and that's what allowed for healthy dialogue.

Additionally, as others tend to listen to others who have good character, choosing to walk with integrity/have a good attitude and show concern for others actually led to me being considered more in what I said since it was not just about arguments. As the old saying goes, people won't care how much you know till they know much you care. And sometimes, part of opening up doors for practical education on social issues or ethnic concerns is remembering how to handle relational issues (i.e. learning how to ask insightful questions to make other think, listening to people/showing you're concerned with what happens in their lives, showing graciousness when people react to you, etc.). Proverbs 25:15 is so true when it says Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone. and Proverbs 16:24 when it says Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. or Proverbs 16:21 when it says The wise in heart are called discerning, and gracious words promote instruction.. Having a family where Proverbs was huge and we were taught a lot on relational IQ, it was helpful for me in knowing how to make others want to listen...

Moreover, part of what helped others listen to me was knowing how to find common ground with them on many issues (even if I disagreed) - showing I could actually argue their heart/see what they said rather than just dismiss it because I disagreed. I may not agree with the idea that slavery was overall a good thing - BUT I could at least note to them I agreed with them when noting that not all slaves either rejected slavery or were treated harshly and the CIVIL War was far more complicated than being about slavery alone. I may not have agreed with them that Catholics are to be condemned and will go to Hell - but I could definitely note where I was concerned with the latter innovations RCs came up with and asked others to submit to (i.e. Papal Infallibility, etc.). I may not have agreed with them that government assistance/welfare was horrible in all cases due to what I saw growing up, but I could engage with them on how the system was flawed and why being independent was crucial for success.

Other times, IT was apparent that they really could not listen fully or hear where I was coming from - especially as it concerns things pertaining to Black or Hispanic history that went counter to what they had assumed/be taught in their own churches - and and in those moments, I either remembered my parents wisdom in standing firm or going with their wisdom in knowing to ignore it as best as possible since it didn't change who I was - and I didn't apologize for having the experences I did growing up or act as if it wasn't real. I was very strong in my stances for anyone wanting to ask me and my parents reinforced that. Growing up in a home where reading extensively (including classics) on history and learning in general was highly valued (one of my favorite pastimes being talking to my mom/grandma on life growing up for them or watching documentaries with my step-dad on PBS or just having debates with my cousins), I was blessed.

Many black parents did the same and I was told on it often when it came to values in our homes which we reminded each other of (as it concerned our experiences as Blacks, be it Afro-Latino or Afro-American or African-American Indian, or experiences of Whites who disagreed with some of the views in the school that didn't reflect their experiences). A lot of parents see that aggressively promoting the mindsets you want your kids to walk in is key - even if means homeschooling (if able to afford it). since they want their own values reinforced.....and many Christians are taking this route.

In other schools like the public sector where education is stricter, you still have students who realize what's taught really isn't accurate - and they challenge one another outside the classroom ...and the same goes for teachers who do what they can but seek to inspire others to learn - as well as noting where they may have issue with curriculum. However, for many cases of teachers seeking to educate on ethnic differences, there's not a lot of support from the PTA and parents make a world of difference in what is promoted in the schools.

But when it comes to parents, what has to be remembered is that not all within a group have the same value - thus meaning that black parents training their kids at home will not mean that they have the same values as other black parents when it comes to how they see issues. The same goes for white parents as well when speaking on issues: Both need to be able to understand how to train their kids to discuss subjects - even if it means disagreeing agreeably and knowing how to pick & choose your battles. Additionally, both need a lot of patience - for you're not just dealing with exchanging facts but filters....and it takes time for people to realize where they may not be able to hear because they don't realize where they have to remove pre-existing assumptions they didn't know they even had. That happens when in relationship with others, starting friendships and learning to engage each other.

What many of my friends were taught growing up was that they were essentially missionaries in their school - and many of them noted the opportunites they were given to witness/educate and challenge others personally were priceless. Of course, pratically, for others wanting a good education they did school-choice options and went to where they could learn. I was blessed to be one of them and it's why I stopped going to public school due to a lot of the ignorance. Nonetheless, even in a Christian high school, there were still racial issues as it concerns ignorance of what happened historically in different groups - and battles in not fitting the dominant theme at the school (i.e. Reformed, staunchly white, evangelical, conservative seen as "God's Best", etc.). As I grew up in a multi-cultural Evangelical Church, it was difficult seeing a lot of the things I saw - and the same went with how much others were very much Anti-Catholic (and Orthodox), which was a big deal for me since my family grew up Catholic and I still had Catholic family/friends elsewhere ...and other times, it was just bothersome feeling like you were the token black person everyone celebrated because you were "different" than other blacks they imagined and I had many moments I had to challenge them on not being stereotypical. But GOD gave grace..

And for parents who threw in bad kids into the school thinking it would help change them, it was difficult seeing those kids as an influence and sometimes wondering at the other students for how they seemed to go against Christ with ease in His name. I often felt isolated - but God gave me grace to get through it. And I did make friends with other students and my teachers who appreciated me for challenging them - just as I learned things from them I had not known before when growing up solely within the groups I had.

And to be clear, although I am speaking from my experiences in high school, I've seen others in the elementary school level who've had the same - some of the kids amazing me at how wise they are due to the training they had at home. My sister has some of the same battles I had as she goes to a Catholic School and yet is one of the only blacks in the school - often having it where she hears things from other students that we have to explain at home so she isn't bothered. Had it one time she was wondering why everyone "hated President Obama" and why she heard other students (if I remember correctly) say "This is what happens when you have a black president" - it was a big deal to explain how one can be respectful critiquing the president and yet know were not all things said were gracious or considerate and that she should remember how to handle stereotypes others have.

No place will be perfect - but because my parents were there for me and trained me while also providing a Church home I could have stability in and real discussion on issues my school seemed to avoid at times, I was able to thrive.

Deuteronomy 6:1-4 - These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all of his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life.

Ephesians 6:4 - Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 - These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children.

Deuteronomy 4:9 - Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.​

As another noted best:

Our culture has spent trillions of dollars since 1965 on building expensive buildings, hiring well-qualified teachers and providing well-written textbooks, but none of this is as valuable as parents who care! We need good teachers; of that there is no doubt. We need good classrooms with all the technology; of that there is no doubt. We need textbooks that are sound and well-written; of that there is no doubt. But without parents who are engaged with their children, none of this will matter much.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree completely and don't want to really move him but this isn't a battle I can fight. It's not the teachers or students, it's the administration. The unbalanced agenda comes from the top and dissent isn't tolerated. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes to keep things from being changed but it seems bigger than something I am willing to tackle.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Praise the Lord for that development - as I think that's very practical what has developed. Having the Church more active and services for the kids will help with a stronger sense of who they should see themselves as and a resistance to any thoughts that really are not true.

I agree completely and don't want to really move him but this isn't a battle I can fight. It's not the teachers or students, it's the administration. The unbalanced agenda comes from the top and dissent isn't tolerated. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes to keep things from being changed but it seems bigger than something I am willing to tackle.

If I may say...

With the principle in how she does things, there's always a way around it from what I have seen when it comes to respecting the right of parents to educate their children - and the pressure that comes when organizing the community (i.e. parents, teachers, social leaders, people supplying the school, writing letters of protest, etc.) to show what they want in the lives of their kids.

Living in the Deep South, this is something I've been very thankful to see a lot myself when it seems administration do not truly understand the weight of influence they should respect with the parents of their kids. As one famous Christian educator (Marcus Garvey, a Catholic) said on the issue when dealing with administrations that hindered true educating:

10357259_533410530120192_3857217355268006014_n.jpg

Thankful that no one can dominate the thinking of your child so long as his mind is made free/taught how to be free of any bad ideologies that would be forced on him. He has the freedom to disagree thankfully and the school he's at currently will have to respect that if they actually value him as a person - and if they don't, they'll have to deal with the consequences. They can't take away his right/freedom to think.

Of course, as it concerns the thought "I don't want anyone to think I'm racist for speaking out", something that can help is knowing that it always makes a difference when agreeing with other blacks noting the same as you do - as people can't throw the "racist" card at whites whenever they note directly what other blacks have said on specific issues and point out blacks working with whites. Disagreeing with the history taught in the school isn't a matter of being "racist" if it's one-sided and the history of whites who fought to free blacks during slavery (or who experienced suffering just as blacks did and who worked alongside blacks) is ignored. It's not "racist" for one parent to note that it is odd to not consider the experiences of whites in the school if they are constantly feeling condemned - as those are grounds for professional teachers to be fired if not valuing students. Also, if wanting to connect the students with more of what you know to be true when it comes to whites not fitting the stereotypes other blacks have, some of the best methods involve seeing what other blacks have said and the trouble they have experienced with going against the grain - that gives you and your child the ground needed to be able to actually have a debate in the classroom when speaking on topics, as no one is going to say "RACIST!" (lest they are ignorant) when one is showing they actually studied and are credible. If people are really concerned for history, they'll address the numerous positive expressions of whites with regards to Blacks just as much as they'll deal with the negative....for if we're concerned with people, we'll address the good the bad and the ugly at all points.

People can react over a lot of things sadly without basis. I've seen the same dynamics when it comes to parents who are white and raising black kids (either by adoption or having a black spouse) - you have to factor in the dynamic of how white culture is just as complex as black culture - and there are ways to go about it. For one practical resource that can help (for starters), I'd suggest going here to 8 Things White People Really Need to Understand About Race ? Everyday Feminism

Last edited:
Upvote 0