Prejudice and political indoctrination in elementary school

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wish we could afford to send him to city school district. They are more diverse and higher rated. I fear the one we plan on may be an over correction as it is primarily made up of rural white children and this IS The Deep South. It's a pity we can't pool resources and do a small Orthodox school. Our mission has 10-12 kids in the elementary-jr. high age range.
Feeling you where you're coming from. In the part of the South I live in, I've seen only Protestant Christian Schools and Catholic (RC) schools - and home schooling. Haven't seen an Orthodox school as of late - although I know parents who give their children Orthodox education at the home and through their churches to make up for what may be taught in other schools. One girl I used to teach at the private school I was at ended up going to the high school I attended and she's Greek Orthodox - and thus, I had to keep in mind that she'll probably face battles similar to what others in Ancient Christian Churches dealt with in Evangelical circles.

Praying the Lord would continue to work in your situation...:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One thing our parish has done is have weekly classes to augment homeschooling. Our current priest is a former teacher but I don't know if he will be able to continue that activity. It isn't as good as having a full school, but it's something.
That's a very brilliant way of going about things, as having education occur (if having the people available to help with it) from the Church helps to keep learning from a strong Christian perspective and allows for freedom to be adaptable in difficult circumstances.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree completely and don't want to really move him but this isn't a battle I can fight. It's not the teachers or students, it's the administration. The unbalanced agenda comes from the top and dissent isn't tolerated. I don't know what is going on behind the scenes to keep things from being changed but it seems bigger than something I am willing to tackle.

Hey, IC,
It IS much bigger than any of us can tackle. The bureaucracy is Leviathan, and extends far beyond your local district, or even state. There is nothing you can do to "change the system" and next to nothing you can do to limit the influence of a worldview and atmosphere to which even the humans you deal with in administration are wholly subject to and helpless to change. It was established long before we were born, and tempered before we were gleams in our mothers' eyes.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thinking one can make a difference in changing the education system is about as realistic and hopeful as the idea that we can overcome the lobbyist system and corrupt secular values of the government itself.

The only way we can make a difference with kids is to be what the moderns would consider a sort of "anti-hero!" ^_^:cool: We do what needs to be done and teach what REALLY needs to be taught under the radar within the system. That's about all we can do! But to think we can speak up and somehow change the machinery, crazy cookoo.

Hey, IC,
It IS much bigger than any of us can tackle. The bureaucracy is Leviathan, and extends far beyond your local district, or even state. There is nothing you can do to "change the system" and next to nothing you can do to limit the influence of a worldview and atmosphere to which even the humans you deal with in administration are wholly subject to and helpless to change. It was established long before we were born, and tempered before we were gleams in our mothers' eyes.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow, there are many subtopics I would love to address if I had time.

There is a school attached to the Greek Orthodox Church in Dallas (though that's the only one I've yet seen).

If our Church (or anyone local to me) started an Orthodox school, I'd be first in line asking for a job! I can't teach Orthodoxy per se, but I can teach and I'm Orthodox. We have a number of teachers at our Church. Many of the Church's kids go to private schools or better public schools, and a number are homeschooled.

There can be a great gap (especially at first) when parents reject the school system for reactionary reasons. Sometimes things improve (sometimes to the level of excellence) and sometimes they remain dismal.

I was in charge of educating my daughter until she was nearly 13. I had an active homeschool league to help with group activities - field trips, PE, art classes. Through them such things as advanced math and science by those qualified to teach those subjects was also offered. (I certainly wouldn't attempt to teach calculus or even trig!) A number of us formed a co-op school and taught in our strongest area, providing more social interaction and group activities, and exposure to different teaching styles. It worked beautifully and came together in just under a year. Etc. When my daughter did begin public school (she was 12) her teachers reported she was writing on a college level. Her math was two years ahead (which resulted in coasting and a bit of laziness, but she overcame that). She did well. It's possible, but takes dedication and full-time commitment of at least several teaching families, in our case.

I have thoughts about the OP, but I think this is long and I'll make a separate post, in case no one is reading, lol.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As far as the school in the OP, I think this is a concern. Gurney's right - the administration is hard to fight. Even if you do so successfully, your own child has probably gotten several more years of whatever the problem is, and that's hard to overcome. Years are an eternity to children.

Having worked this week in schools I didn't know were like they are - "ghetto schools" - I'd have major concerns. Somehow I've grown up non-racist, as far as I can tell, though it's prevalent all around me and in my own family. But race is a huge factor in these schools. White adults are treated differently from black adults. The kids themselves draw the lines.

I'm going to say something - and I pray I'm not misunderstood. I've been physically assaulted by African-American children this week, and had them fighting each other. The verbal aspects were horrendous, but I can brush off the words. (Sadly, many children haven't learned to yet so they are being hurt there too.) But in some cases, the situation is abysmal. Now, I also had very bright African-American children, and a few well-behaved ones, and if I had to name a "favorite" it would be one of them. (Not surprising since all week I had two white children, two Hispanic, and around 40 African-American).

But. Lord forgive me, I had the thought that if someone remains exclusively in such an atmosphere, it can very easily lead to stereotyping and racism. The fact is, most of those kids have problems, ranging from milder (ADD) to more severe (ODD - oppositional defiant disorder and terrible emotional scars as well as undiagnosed issues). The other races are not immune. One of the white children I suspect is autistic-spectrum.

But just being exposed to this in an intense atmosphere, associating it with strong racial overtones, and so on can possibly lead to unwarranted connections being formed in one's mind without real justification or logic.

Sorry for so many words, and I'm not trying to justify racism, but my point is that a wrong environment can actually promote its development.

Making such an issue, in any negative context, of race is probably psychologically unhealthy.

I would try to get my child out.

Upvote 0