Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
School officials stated that she was asked not to participate for "health reasons." What?, they thought that walking will hurt a pregnant woman? I don't know what motivated the school to make this decision but kudos to her for having the guts to make things right. :clap:

cheers

Upvote 0

toxiciridescence

Nov 1, 2004
✟8,819.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
She's not allowed to go to school for "safety concerns". Let's put all pregnant women in rooms with padded walls and don't let them do anything! Seriously, going to school while pregnant is less of a safety concern than to sit the WHOLE pregnancy out... A woman needs to stay healthy, not stay home and laze around.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Pathetic on the part of the school.... Courageous and commendable on the part of the student. This social regulation by the social conservatives is disgusting. Would have been nice if the father had refused to walk in her support... though I guess that she ultimately did walk so who knows what he would have done.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jonathan David said:
Pathetic on the part of the school.... Courageous and commendable on the part of the student. This social regulation by the social conservatives is disgusting.

Social conservatives? The article mentions nothing about conservatives/liberals....:scratch:

Would have been nice if the father had refused to walk in her support... though I guess that she ultimately did walk so who knows what he would have done.

In the third paragraph :cool: , the article states:
"After the last graduate was asked to come forward to receive his degree at St. Jude Educational Institute's commencement Tuesday night, Cosby announced her own name and walked across the stage. "

The father did not refuse to walk in her support.

cheers

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Quijote said:
Social conservatives? The article mentions nothing about conservatives/liberals....:scratch:

Policies like these are instituted by social conservatives who use cooked-up reasons in order to push their moral agenda.... pregnant women are perfectly capable of going to school and walking across a stage without risking health. I don't need a newspaper to tell me when something is about social conservatism/liberalism.

In the third paragraph :cool: , the article states:
"After the last graduate was asked to come forward to receive his degree at St. Jude Educational Institute's commencement Tuesday night, Cosby announced her own name and walked across the stage. "

The father did not refuse to walk in her support.

cheers

Yes, I read the article....

I meant that seeing as she walked (after calling her own name), we don't know if the father knew of her plan. For him to pass up his graduation ceremony when she was going to do that would be silly. It would only be a useful tactic on his part (In my opinion), if she was going to be unable to cross the stage (whether it was sanctioned or not).

Sorry for being unclear.

Upvote 0

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jonathan David said:
Policies like these are instituted by social conservatives who use cooked-up reasons in order to push their moral agenda.... pregnant women are perfectly capable of going to school and walking across a stage without risking health. I don't need a newspaper to tell me when something is about social conservatism/liberalism.

I'll respect your opinion. Though I bet you the members of the school board are liberals. :D

I meant that seeing as she walked (after calling her own name), we don't know if the father knew of her plan. For him to pass up his graduation ceremony when she was going to do that would be silly. It would only be a useful tactic on his part (In my opinion), if she was going to be unable to cross the stage (whether it was sanctioned or not).

Sorry for being unclear.

Agreed!!:thumbsup:

cheers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quijote

a.k.a Mr. Q
May 5, 2005
Wisconsin
✟40,638.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cactusblossom said:
While I agree that the father should be treated the same as this girl, this is a Catholic School. They have the right to set certain standards, and I am not surprised that an unwed mother is not acceptable to the Church.

:doh: I kick myself for not realizing that it was a Catholic school.

Because it is a Catholic school I would've thought that they would have been more understanding towards her. After all, she is giving birth to the child, which Catholics should support and appreciate.

cheers

Upvote 0

cactusblossom

May 19, 2005
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Quijote said:

Because it is a Catholic school I would've thought that they would have been more understanding towards her. After all, she is giving birth to the child, which Catholics should support and appreciate.

cheers

It's a sticky situation, isn't it? On the one hand, as Christians, we are to forgive sinners as Christ does, but they are not denying her a diploma, just the right to participate in the public ceremony. Where do we draw the line between forgiveness and punishment? Are we to reward this behavior, or more to the point, is the Catholic Church required to reward it when it goes against its religious teachings?

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
cactusblossom said:
It's a sticky situation, isn't it? On the one hand, as Christians, we are to forgive sinners as Christ does, but they are not denying her a diploma, just the right to participate in the public ceremony. Where do we draw the line between forgiveness and punishment? Are we to reward this behavior, or more to the point, is the Catholic Church required to reward it when it goes against its religious teachings?

So then, given the differential treatment of mother and father, it appears that you are suggeting that, according to the Catholic Church, the sin is not pre-marital sex... the sin is in fact in getting pregnant.... for the time I spent in the Catholic church, I never understood that to be the position of the Church.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
cactusblossom said:
Are we to reward this behavior, or more to the point, is the Catholic Church required to reward it when it goes against its religious teachings?

She isn't being rewarded by getting a diploma, she EARNED the right to participate in the graduation ceremony. Is there a rule somewhere that sinners can't participate in graduation at this school? And if so, why was the father allowed to participate, but not the mother?

Should catholic schools take a survey of their students? See who has had sex with birth control? Who has watched inappropriate content, or drank underage?

I worked really freakin hard for my diplomas, and it would have been a cold day in hell if someone had told me I couldn't participate because I sinned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cactusblossom

May 19, 2005
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jonathan David said:
So then, given the differential treatment of mother and father, it appears that you are suggeting that, according to the Catholic Church, the sin is not pre-marital sex... the sin is in fact in getting pregnant.... for the time I spent in the Catholic church, I never understood that to be the position of the Church.

Well, not being Catholic, I don't presume to speak for them, but it would certainly appear to be a double standard there, wouldn't it? Personally, I think they should have let the girl walk and her boyfriend should have been there at her side as she did it.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
cactusblossom said:
Well, not being Catholic, I don't presume to speak for them, but it would certainly appear to be a double standard there, wouldn't it? Personally, I think they should have let the girl walk and her boyfriend should have been there at her side as she did it.

agreed

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I guess if she wasn't yet showing... or if she had aborted her child before it became obvious... she could have participated in the graduation?

Sheesh :doh: Its all about appearances!

When will people understand that the baby is not the sin? I applaud the girl for standing up for herself, and her child! :clap:

Upvote 0

k9catts

Apr 22, 2005
San Antonio
✟8,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So having a baby is a sin? If she had an abortion would that have been a greater sin?

How about the father of the child. Did he sin?

Which of the two sinned more. The mother or father? The father sins and goes on his way the mother sins and has a baby that she will carry for 9 months.

I ask question again.

So having a baby is a sin?

Upvote 0

night2day

Sola Scriptura~Sola Gratia~Sola Fide
Aug 18, 2004
Home
Visit site
✟2,758.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Quijote said:

cheers

More than likely it wasn't the unborn child in question the school was against. It was the sexual activity that took place between the teenage mother and father that the school did not wish to promote.

Unfortunately, who usually shows the most consquence? It's certainly not the guy.

Upvote 0