bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the same time, like a new birth, salvation seems to me to be both a process and an event. Much like being pregnant and having a baby is a definite process of months of maturity, but then also an event, giving birth. So, I'm not exactly sure where I fit in in the church? It seems like the Methodist go towards thinking of this as a process and the Baptist see it more as an event.

Although I believe that the new birth is a one time event, it has been rightly said that "The only evidence of the new birth is a new life". IOW, if we've truly been born again, then there will be plenty of evidence of the same in our lifestyles.

Romans 6:1-14 said:
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Upvote 0

bornofGod888

Feb 20, 2013
Hidden with Christ in God (Col. 3:3)
✟3,812.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me it is a matter of this.

Are we going to believe what God says or not.

That means, if we believe what He says that we accept what He said as the absolute truth.

Therefore what He said ends the argument.

This is what God said about being saved.

This is our grounds for believing we are saved.

There is no other except what God said.

If we do/have done what these verse 9 says from our innermost being.

That is the end of the argument.

Those who do not believe verse 9 can argue all they want.

God, The Creator of all said it and He knows.

Therefore verse 9 is the only way to be saved.

Rom 10:9-13

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
KJV

:)

Umm, you do realize that Romans 10:9-13 is preceded by Romans 1:1 through Romans 10:8, don't you? IOW, there's plenty to understand prior to just blindly reciting some "sinner's prayer". Just as an example of what I'm saying and not to single anybody out, during the whole O.J. Simpson double murder trial ordeal, I watched an interview with former NFLer turned "minister", Rosey Grier, in which he stated that O.J. Simpson "prayed the sinner's prayer" with him. Have you seen any change is Simpson since then? Again, I'm just trying to make a point and not to single anybody out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
L

LST 1154

Just as an example of what I'm saying and not to single anybody out, during the whole O.J. Simpson double murder trial ordeal, I watched an interview with former NFLer turned "minister", Rosey Grier, in which he stated that O.J. Simpson "prayed the sinner's prayer" with him. Have you seen any change is Simpson since then? Again, I'm just trying to make a point and not to single anybody out.

First of all unless God draws the sinner into a relationship with Himself one can pray all day and God will not answer. He and He only determines those who He will adopt into His family.

LST

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We should take your word for that?
You obviously don't know me.
I certainly don't know you.
And we're good.
:thumbsup:
Yes being born again is a one time event just like your physical birth was a one time event. When you receive Christ by faith you're born again. At that point you are a infant in Christ. Then you begin to grow just like a baby grows. Eventually you will be a mature Christian.
1 Corinthians 1:8
He will also keep you firm to the end,
so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

This description of course is solely dependant on whether or not God was drawing you into a relationship with Him. If you "received" Him on a whim or to impress someone there is a distinct possibility you are NOT one of God's chosen people.
:amen: Chosen means chosen

As far as praying to receive Him, how else can you make contact with Him to tell Him of your desire to receive Him? Unfortunately there are millions of "Christians" who believe you become a Christian by osmosis. Go to church sit in a pew sing listen to the preacher be around like minded people and soon you will "absorb God." Others think that be eating a wafer you "receive" Christ. You receive a wafer, not Christ.
:amen:

So no you don't "need" to "walk the aisle and pray the prayer" but millions have done exactly that (including myself) and guess what? They (and I) received Christ and are now truly born again Christians.

LST[
Me three.
:clap:
But no isle
Just a little old baptist woman
sharing the gospel.

Upvote 0

BrotherDave

Sep 11, 2005
Bay Area, California
✟16,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand your discomfort with selecting a church to attend. But why do you need a church anyway? If you have a bible you actually read and study and God on your side then what else is needed?

If God does the choosing and drawing (which I believe He does, Eph 1:4,John 15:16,19). If he has completed all the work required for salvation (which I believe he has, John 19:30) and He changes your heart at the time of salvation (which He does) and then He helps you grow in grace and faith then what can a local church do except probably confuse and frustrate you?

The only thing you can do is put yourself in the correct environment in which God works which is the hearing of His word (Ro 10:17). I think just reading or listening to it being read (with no interpretation) is perhaps the healthiest (and most difficult) thing to do as you pray to God for help with correct understanding (which He will bring on His time frame). As you grow by studying the bible and comparing scripture with scripture you can witness to others as God brings opportunities your way. Now if God has really saved an individual then that person will find a hunger and thirst for the bible as God opens his eyes and it is then that God and spiritual things really become the top priority. Only after God changes our heart will we truly call on him. Until then our hearts are “dead” and sinful and our real motives not God glorifying.

I really think many people today just go to church for the social aspect and to be seen by neighbors and friends as a “good Christian.” I am afraid that deep down it is more about pride than humble service to our Lord (matt 15:8). But, I suggest you pray about it and let God lead you where He will. If you are uncomfortable with a teaching or practice even after diligently researching and praying about it then I would flee from it. You may find that your best home church is really in your home….

Reactions: RisingSpirit
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand your discomfort with selecting a church to attend. But why do you need a church anyway? If you have a bible you actually read and study and God on your side then what else is needed?

If God does the choosing and drawing (which I believe He does, Eph 1:4,John 15:16,19). If he has completed all the work required for salvation (which I believe he has, John 19:30) and He changes your heart at the time of salvation (which He does) and then He helps you grow in grace and faith then what can a local church do except probably confuse and frustrate you?

The only thing you can do is put yourself in the correct environment in which God works which is the hearing of His word (Ro 10:17). I think just reading or listening to it being read (with no interpretation) is perhaps the healthiest (and most difficult) thing to do as you pray to God for help with correct understanding (which He will bring on His time frame). As you grow by studying the bible and comparing scripture with scripture you can witness to others as God brings opportunities your way. Now if God has really saved an individual then that person will find a hunger and thirst for the bible as God opens his eyes and it is then that God and spiritual things really become the top priority. Only after God changes our heart will we truly call on him. Until then our hearts are “dead” and sinful and our real motives not God glorifying.

I really think many people today just go to church for the social aspect and to be seen by neighbors and friends as a “good Christian.” I am afraid that deep down it is more about pride than humble service to our Lord (matt 15:8). But, I suggest you pray about it and let God lead you where He will. If you are uncomfortable with a teaching or practice even after diligently researching and praying about it then I would flee from it. You may find that your best home church is really in your home….

I disagree. Church is not just about what you can receive, but also give to others. Paul referred to us as the body of Christ. Each member having a function, each person has a gift. That gift is meant to build others up. The gift is not for self. You can, of course, use that gift in the community. I do that on a regular basis, but the gift is meant to primarily benefit the church body. So, when I exclude myself from the church, I am in effect hurting others in the body who need the gifts that I have.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Conversion is about changing. One changes not only from not believing the gospel to believing it but also from living apart from Christ to living in him and like him. That's why it is called conversion. If it were merely saying 'yes' to belief in Jesus and nothing more then it would be better called affirmation.

One can affirm the gospel. Say "Jesus was a great moral teacher, a compassionate man, the Son of God, and God" without living like that mattered.

One who is converting is changing from being who he was into being like Jesus.

I was raised in the Methodist church but switched when I was 18 to Baptist. I never heard that I should pray to accept Jesus until I was about 16. I did that around that time. Over the last few years, we have gone to both Methodist and Baptist churches, but haven't joined anywhere.

My concern is that when I hear a pastor say that all you have to do is walk down an aisle and pray to accept Jesus, I think to myself that this isn't in the Bible. The christian faith is more than about praying a prayer. On top of this, I have seen so many people that call themselves christians but don't live it that it makes me doubt that this is anything more than fire insurance from hell and not what the bible teaches.

I see Jesus calling on people to repent, to turn from sin, not just to accept him or pray a prayer. I see Jesus calling his disciples to take up their cross and follow him. It makes me wonder if some churches aren't filled with people who have prayed a prayer and are going straight to hell, but think they are saved.

So, now as I search for a church home, I find myself uncomfortable with some Baptist churches because of the pastor trying to manipulate people down the aisle to pray a prayer. At the same time, like a new birth, salvation seems to me to be both a process and an event. Much like being pregnant and having a baby is a definite process of months of maturity, but then also an event, giving birth. So, I'm not exactly sure where I fit in in the church? It seems like the Methodist go towards thinking of this as a process and the Baptist see it more as an event.

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this so if a moderator wants to move it that is okay with me.

Upvote 0