Georgia
✟47,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
At the moment I don't embrace either position. I'm not finding faith in the scriptures or in any of the interpretations.
The only position that could make sense is if it's predetermined that God is rejecting me... but that doesn't seem true either.
What feels most real right now is that this God doesn't exist and the scriptures are false.
I don't say that to insult, it's just the position I am drawn to more and more. I've tried for months and months to let the Bible sink in, for faith to grow, I've tried to adopt Jesus as my lord... but it's just withering away. Either Jesus isn't interested or it's just not real. At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter.
Please don't assume I'm here to trash your beliefs, I'm happy they work for you, I really am. But they aren't touching me.
It would be amazing to think there was a saviour to carry the burden of all the negative things I've said and done... there is plenty of that! But wishing something to be true, trying to brainwash myself into it isn't working. I've been trying to believe, really trying, begging Jesus to increase my faith.
I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me.
I'm going to focus more on Buddhism, the results are tangible and it makes more sense.
I'm sorry I've wasted so many peoples time here, I was trying I promise you. You have all been pretty kind.. most of you.

I'll hang around, but I'm no longer considering Christianity for myself..

Blessings to you all
Well, that is certainly your choice. But you should give serious consideration to the ramifications if your conclusions about Jesus are wrong:

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, “Rulers of the people and elders of Israel: 9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he has been made well, 10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole. 11 This is the ‘stone which was rejected by you builders, which has become the chief cornerstone.’ 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” (Ac 4:8–12)​

If Jesus is real, then He is the only way a person may be saved from God's wrath. I pray that even if you turn away now, God will give you time to change your mind.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,462.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Tellyontellyon

Sounds to me like there is a battle for your soul and unless you renounce former beliefs clarity will be elusive.

You cant add Christianity to Eastern belief systems.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the moment I don't embrace either position. I'm not finding faith in the scriptures or in any of the interpretations.
The only position that could make sense is if it's predetermined that God is rejecting me... but that doesn't seem true either.
What feels most real right now is that this God doesn't exist and the scriptures are false.
I don't say that to insult, it's just the position I am drawn to more and more. I've tried for months and months to let the Bible sink in, for faith to grow, I've tried to adopt Jesus as my lord... but it's just withering away. Either Jesus isn't interested or it's just not real. At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter.
Please don't assume I'm here to trash your beliefs, I'm happy they work for you, I really am. But they aren't touching me.
It would be amazing to think there was a saviour to carry the burden of all the negative things I've said and done... there is plenty of that! But wishing something to be true, trying to brainwash myself into it isn't working. I've been trying to believe, really trying, begging Jesus to increase my faith.
I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me.
I'm going to focus more on Buddhism, the results are tangible and it makes more sense.
I'm sorry I've wasted so many peoples time here, I was trying I promise you. You have all been pretty kind.. most of you.

I'll hang around, but I'm no longer considering Christianity for myself..

Blessings to you all
all religions are a path of a serpent ... the god outside of self ( scripturally called in one place " the prince of the air " ) comes in many forms, but really only exists between our ears as a perception by way of our own dualistic reasoning ...

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart Jeremiah 29:13

I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me Proverbs 8:17

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you Matthew 7:7

If you do genuinely seek Jesus He will be found by you. That is the promise of God's word. Like another poster mentioned, feelings must not be our compass as feelings often come and go and are not the barometer for truth. Many times my feelings have not been aligned with God's truth as revealed in the Scriptures. This is what Faith is all about. God cannot lie. He says you will be accepted if you are sincerely seeking the Truth about reality. So bless you and hold on a while longer.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I've been knocking, truly. There has been no personal relationship.
I gave myself to Jesus.. ... 1

Satan and his demons will find no redemption, redemption is not universal. Jesus didn't die for everybody.. 2
1 - Here's an explanation of just one of the verses suggested.

John 3:16-17

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

It means who continues to believe in Him shall continue in the life that shall be eternal.

2 -
Demons aren't people, and you're not a demon.

It sounds like you were fed (so far) with deceptively slapdash ideas from churchy people (as I was also).

Keep calm. Do diligence.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... in any of the interpretations ...
This is where the issue is. You will be given even worse ones by "christians" as I get given all the time, and perhaps better ones can come to you. When you don't hurry, you will have the Now. Let the universe slow down for truths to get off at your stop.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Why are you looking at being a Christian in such an individualistic and shallow way, prone to the vagueries of feelings and inner experience? You need to spend time research the history of Christianity, it's theology, it's virtues, and so forth. Waiting on an individual subjective experience of conviction is not likely to be fruitful.

I would recommend Tom Holland's book Dominion as a good place to start: first you need to appreciate what Christianity brought into the world, before you can understand what it can do for you personally. Also, attending a church and talking to a priest or pastor would be a good idea as well. Laypeople often have very limited abilities to communicate a religion- not everybody is an evangelist or apologist.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
... attending a church and talking to a priest or pastor would be a good idea as well ...
Knowing the situation in churches in Britain I would respectfully suggest picking a range of different churches, and ministers. Also keep checking in on us here to let us know how you get on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello again,
I've been trying to understand Christianity and let the words of the Bible flow into me and praying for guidance and understanding and help to follow the right way.
As you know I've been a Buddhist for over 20 years. However my mother, aunt and sister all follow forms of witchcraft. My sister is a Luciferian.
I've dabbled a bit with oracle cards and the I Ching, and some Pagan practices.
To be honest, I don't feel anything is happening with the Christianity. The words just don't seem to enter my heart.. I've prayed long and hard now and no guidance comes, no feeling, no dawning of understanding or faith.
I feel like I keep giving Christianity last chances, mainly because of the sincerity of its believers and their sense of community spirit.
I've been to church, spoken with Christians and prayed there.. but I'm like Teflon... it doesn't stick.
What should I do? Should I give Christianity more last chances?
Should I stop seeing my family?
If I draw blood from myself and make an offering, my sister said that Lucifer never fails.

Why does Christ fail? I've offered him everything, my life. I only ask for compassion. I know I don't deserve anything.. but you all say that it's ok, even good to feel worthless and undeserving. Well I do, I'm on my knees, I've given all my hope and trust and... Nothing.
And that's ok, nothing is ok. I know where I stand.

You have prayed long and hard but did you read the bible? Did you read what Jesus has to say to you?

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
You have prayed long and hard but did you read the bible? Did you read what Jesus has to say to you?
I do read and have several translations...
NIV
NKJV
KJV
ESV
And the Message!

As a child I went to a Christian school (Anglican) and was a choirboy.

As a teen the evangelicals and baptists would come around the streets and entice us to talks with offers of tea and biscuits.. we'd go in the winter.

In prison I read the Good News Bible.

So over the years I've dipped into it quite a bit, though more the New Testament. I find something comforting in it, even compelling. But whatever it is in supposed to connect with in there has never happened. After so much time I figure that this is just not going to click with me.
It used to be that I was very materialistic and rejected anything supernatural. Well I'm open to that these days, I have a more open mind.. and I've met some lovely Christians... I've also met some bigots.

I've been exposed to many different forms of spirituality.. I orientate mostly to Buddhism which I find very practical and direct when it comes to working with mental states.

But I also have some experience and sympathy for many other approaches. Eg. Sufism, paganism, witchcraft (my mother, sister and aunts are witches), new age stuff, Unitarian universalists, Jungian Psychology, Osho, tantra, shamanism etc. etc. etc.

I think it's hard for me to approach Christianity and put aside my other experience and knowledge. It's hard not to compare and interpret in the light of other understanding...
... maybe that gets in the way of a simple, innocent faith?

I see such value in all those other approaches too. It's not just a matter of believing in Jesus... it's a matter of having to then reject all the others and I just can't. There is so much truth and wisdom and compassion and I can't just say this is all wrong and only Christianity is right.

I think that is what gets in the way. Buddhism is good, I can't denounce or renounce it..

Choice isn't just choosing something, it is at the same time rejecting something else. I feel no reason to choose one over the other.

I'm drawn to the Bible, but it has never taken me, it has never overwhelmed me with a sense of... 'this is the truth'. Some power brings me to the Bible, but then ... the batteries go flat.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,605.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's hard for me to approach Christianity and put aside my other experience and knowledge. It's hard not to compare and interpret in the light of other understanding...
... maybe that gets in the way of a simple, innocent faith?

I see such value in all those other approaches too. It's not just a matter of believing in Jesus... it's a matter of having to then reject all the others and I just can't. There is so much truth and wisdom and compassion and I can't just say this is all wrong and only Christianity is right.

I think that is what gets in the way. Buddhism is good, I can't denounce or renounce it..
I think that is the root cause of your issue. God promises that those who seek Him with all their heart will find Him. Limping between different opinions/religions is not seeking Him with all your heart. You need to forgo all that has a foothold on you and just focus on Him. Take comfort in this verse.

Jeremiah 29:13
King James Version
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

I think the AoD is on the earth
Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been knocking, truly. There has been no personal relationship.
I gave myself to Jesus.. I've been left. I'm not wanted.

I'm worthless, nothing. I knew only Jesus could save me. I know he could. I don't know why he doesn't. I've been knocking on the door. Knowing I don't deserve it, but believing in God's mercy.

But I feel the answer has come. I did get a reply. The reply was 'no'.

I accept it. It's God's power, His will. Ok.

You are all very kind and patient. I appreciate that. You are all very lucky and should pray and thank God every day.

Satan and his demons will find no redemption, redemption is not universal. Jesus didn't die for everybody.. not me.
There is just no point continuing.
If you truly believed, you wouldn't just be knocking on the door, but pounding on it. Knowing the horrific fate that awaits all who don't know Christ, nor would you relent as the need to know Jesus would be overwhelming. You wouldn't so readily accept an eternal fate of outer darkness and unquenchable fire.

Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

We are all worthless, which is why we all need Jesus Christ, who died for EVERYONE.

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Continue to read the Word, fast, pray, reach out to Christ and don't relent, and He will answer you. Eternity is worth your temporal effort.

Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Mat 7:9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mat 7:10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mat 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
If you truly believed, you wouldn't just be knocking on the door, but pounding on it. Knowing the horrific fate that awaits all who don't know Christ, nor would you relent as the need to know Jesus would be overwhelming. You wouldn't so readily accept an eternal fate of outer darkness and unquenchable fire.

Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

We are all worthless, which is why we all need Jesus Christ, who died for EVERYONE.

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Continue to read the Word, fast, pray, reach out to Christ and don't relent, and He will answer you. Eternity is worth your temporal effort.

Mat 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
Mat 7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Mat 7:9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Mat 7:10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
Mat 7:11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Yes, I don't have that fear, or feel that Christianity would save me. I've read and heard about it... But I don't believe it or feel it. In order to pound on the door of salvation I would have to already believe... and fear.

This feels like a tautology, in order to believe you have to believe...

I don't seem to be able to make that leap... I have tried, but it's insincere if I don't deep down believe. I was hoping Jesus would give me a bit of help over the line... but he has, so far, not shown any interest in doing so such as I can tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I don't have that fear, or feel that Christianity would save me. I've read and heard about it... But I don't believe it or feel it. In order to pound on the door of salvation I would have to already believe... and fear.

This feels like a tautology, in order to believe you have to believe...

I don't seem to be able to make that leap... I have tried, but it's insincere if I don't deep down believe. I was hoping Jesus would give me a bit of help over the line... but he has, so far, not shown any interest in doing so such as I can tell.
you wont find Christ/Truth in any religion, just as you won't find salvation/freedom in any book ...

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then does it even exist? What freedom might possible?
yes ... but its not found outside of self, its the Son that sets you free in Him, we are all His Son who He abides in ... the bible is not the truth, we are ... the books are a narrative of our souls journey of a there and back ... bondage is a state of mind as much as freedom is ...

we are not set free from the law ... we are set free in it .... a law we are all learning at this time .... bar none ...

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
T.O.T.O, I've read a number of your threads and I live relatively near you and I know the religious situation in Britain.

The real solution will come about in the real you and with the real Jesus. You will prioritise according to your insights in your own space.

Did the people that pressured you, teach you how to gain additive meaning by adding Scriptures? Did they admit that the "kingdom of God" is where Holy Spirit gifts are exchanged? Did they admit that this is part of the gospel?

What value has their "testimony"? Is it shorthand, for a different audience? Evangelicals were warned not to "influence" but they didn't listen.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,120.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Go to a church where they believe in being filed with the Holy spirit (very important), and they do deliverance, maybe someone can point out one for you in your city, and talk all this you said here with the pastor/minister.

Upvote 0