May 16, 2015
✟120,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
According to the Pope anyone who isn't "Catholic" (adherent to RCC doctrine) isn't a true Christian (e.g. Protestants). Before 2012, when Trump was testing the waters a journalist asked Trump about his faith in God. Trump replied, "I get along good with my church" (he's Presbyterian) ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...om-a-presbyterian_us_582d0e1de4b0eaa5f14d4032

If Trump was a "good Catholic" (got along good with the Church) then the Pope would be singing a different tune. As a former Jesuit the Pope is most sympathetic to "Catholic (RCC) minorities" of which many are Mexican, Hispanic/Latino. Mexicans are the natives or inhabitants of Mexico of which many are unauthorized-illegal immigrants living and working in America. Hispanics are the Spanish speaking people, especially those of Latin American descent, living in the United States.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to the Pope anyone who isn't "Catholic" (adherent to RCC doctrine) isn't a true Christian (e.g. Protestants). Before 2012, when Trump was testing the waters a journalist asked Trump about his faith in God. Trump replied, "I get along good with my church" (he's Presbyterian) ... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...om-a-presbyterian_us_582d0e1de4b0eaa5f14d4032

If Trump was a "good Catholic" (got along good with the Church) then the Pope would be singing a different tune. As a former Jesuit the Pope is most sympathetic to "Catholic (RCC) minorities" of which many are Mexican, Hispanic/Latino. Mexicans are the natives or inhabitants of Mexico of which many are unauthorized-illegal immigrants living and working in America. Hispanics are the Spanish speaking people, especially those of Latin American descent, living in the United States.

Quite a bit of baloney in your post. I don't know where to begin.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump replied, "I get along good with my church" (he's Presbyterian) ..

The pastor at the church Trump says he belongs to said he wasn't on their membership roles and he's never seen him at a service or met him. And, let's face it, even a minister would notice Donald Trump, even before he got involved with politics. He's been a well-known celebrity face since the 80s, with an orange wig you can see from space. Trump also failed to be able to quote a single favorite bible verse when asked, etc..

Now, we don't have a religious test for the Presidency, and I'd be fine with electing someone who didn't even claim to be Christian as a generalization. However, it was very odd that evangelicals would rally around this guy given the things he's said and done and never seemed to my knowledge to have expressed any repentance for. I mean, again, I'm not saying you need to be a Saint to be President, but this particular group, the religious right, in this country has been very adamant about wanting a strong Christian leader with Christian values and a Christian lifestyle for decades now. Trump is in theory everything they say they *don't* want in a Presidential candidate.

Except, oh right, he had an "R" for "Republican" next to his name, and what the religious right in this country really cares about is maintaining some kind of a right-wing redneck culture that views anyone who's not a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant Male (With a few of the "right kind" of Catholics brought into the fold in recent decades) as "less than". They'd rather starve themselves than see a dime of their money go in taxes to feed someone else. It's a horribly unchristian attitude and a misuse of the term Christian on their part. Hillary Clinton was more Christian than Donald Trump will ever be. Heck, Bernie Sanders was more Christian than Donald Trump will ever be- and Bernie Sanders is a Jew!

Though there are lots of times when there are good reasons to think being governed in part by an overseas bishop is a bad thing, one thing having a Pope does give Catholics is an independent voice who can speak freely about local trends because he isn't caught up in the day to day of them and doesn't feel an association with some political or cultural group in, for example, the United States. Even some of our priests and bishops are caught up in their affiliations with the Republicans and the religious right and don't see how these groups are perversions of their religion because they have become so much a part of who they are for so long, but Pope Francis can look across the ocean, see the obvious, and maybe even make people stop and think and have an epiphany about just how bad Trump and his white supremacist movement followers are for this country and for the world around them.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the Pope anyone who isn't "Catholic" (adherent to RCC doctrine) isn't a true Christian (e.g. Protestants).

And according to the rules of this Catholic sub-forum.

House Rules
All posts within this faith community must adhere to the site wide rules found here (Community Rules). In addition, if you are not a member of this faith group, you may not debate issues or teach against it's theology. You may post in fellowship. Active promotion of views contrary to the beliefs of this group will be considered off topic.

TLT Statement of Purpose

Upvote 0