Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing surprising here, although maybe to some.

COMMUNIQUE OF THE CONGREGATION FOR THE DOCTRINE OF THE FAITH CONCERNING A MEETING WITH THE PRESIDENCY OF THE LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE OF WOMEN RELIGIOUS IN THE USA

"Archbishop Müller informed the Presidency that he had recently discussed the Doctrinal Assessment with Pope Francis, who reaffirmed the findings of the Assessment and the program of reform for this Conference of Major Superiors."
It does not surprise me. I suppose the Pope's actions to some mean to them that he is going to play fast & loose. I have never saw anything other than a man following the Gospel in a more evangelical way. I never thought he would go against the assessment concerning the LCWR or any of the teaching of the Church.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not surprised that the assessment process will continue, but I think in the future these types of hunting expeditions won't be as favorably received. And, of course, since the Curia---which is in much, much greater need of reform than the LCWR--will be reformed, we will probably have less insider politics to worry about soon.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
I don't think anyone expected him to fully nullify the review process. The best hope would be that it would just wither away, which may still happen. We are not to that point yet. These attacks on women religious do no good for the Church.

It is a hopeful sign that this matter is now being described as a "conversation" with women religious. That is a postive step. A conversation is two way.

Bottom line, jury is still out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From everything I've read it has always been viewed as a conversation or dialog.

It always has been. It just is one that some do not want to have or want to paint as not a conversation.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
He did not just allow the process to go forward he affirmed the assessment of errors. Which is an importing distinction. It means the conversation does not get changed or dropped but stays focused on the grave errors that are present.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And I am glad he seems to be focused on reforming the Curia, which seems to be a far more serious problem, as far as I can see.

The accounts I've read in the NCR, written by sisters, indicates that what has happened so far has been far from what is conventionally looked on as "dialogue" (and if what's happened is a new category--dialogue-Catholic-style--heaven help the future of Catholicism). The LCWR was not notified of the results of the assessment before it was released to the press--having read it in the papers like everyone else, they were shocked and stunned.

Talk about political incorrectness.

That being said, Archbishop Sartain seems to be someone who understands the meaning of 'dialogue,' (although his second-in-command, Bishop Blair, seems much weaker in people skills). The archbishop has even been quoted as saying that he has never had a problem with a single sister in all three dioceses in which he's been a bishop.

The new Vatican prefect for religious life--a Redemptorist from the United States--also seems to be a healer, not a divider.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Curia reform is not the subject here. It is a distraction presented by someone who does not want to admit that the nuns mentioned in the OP are not off the hook, as they had hoped they were. The Curia does need reform, but administration of the Vatican is not nearly as "important" as supposed Catholics in positions of authority questioning the Eucharist because only men can perform the Consecration at mass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
the nuns mentioned in the OP are not off the hook, as they had hoped they were.

Neither off the hook, nor has the hook been bludgeoned into these good sisters yet. If the men investigating the good sisters have some friendly advice for them as to how they can do even more good than they do now, you won't find me complaining and I doubt you wil find them objecting.

So far, no action has been taken against them. Maybe it will come or maybe this wil just wither away. Thoswe cards have yet to be played.

I'm guessing it will be like the investigation some time ago about seminaries and their acceptance of priestly candidates with a gay orientation. In the end, a lot of smoke and no fire. Nothing ever came of it but some verbal warnings.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit author who has been a staunch supporter of the U.S. sisters, cautioned against reading too much into the Vatican statement.
He noted that Francis' first appointment to the Vatican bureaucracy was that of the Rev. Jose Rodriguez Carballo as the No. 2 in the Vatican's congregation for religious orders. Rodriguez Carballo had been superior of the Friars Minor branch of the Franciscan order that was founded by the pope's namesake, St. Francis of Assisi, who devoted himself to helping the poor.
Martin said it would have been unusual for Francis to undo a process that has been years in the works and that as a Jesuit he is "naturally going to be sympathetic" to the challenges faced by members of religious orders, such as those represented by the nuns' conference.

Pope Francis supports crackdown on US nuns

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Its like this - error is the decay of faith - no matter where it lies or in who.
So like the weed that it is - it will be pulled up - no matter which group is supplying it.

Its important for all weeds to be taken out.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
it is like a new spring time for the Church
many non-catholics are becoming interested in our Church due to the media attention given to the new Pope
there are reform movements for the LCWR and for the Curia

I just have such a positive feeling about all of this

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

(From the article):
The conference represents about 57,000 sisters, or 80 percent of U.S. nuns. It has argued that the Vatican reached "flawed" conclusions based on "unsubstantiated accusations." The group's officers have said they would participate in discussions with Sartain "as long as possible" but vowed they would not compromise their group's mission.

...what ever happened to obedience?

Upvote 0