Pope Francis Flies Into African Storm Over His Call to Decriminalize Homosexual Relations

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Comments the Holy Father made in a recent interview could threaten to overtake his mission of peace.

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis’ call on all nations to decriminalize homosexuality is meeting some strong resistance, not least in South Sudan, where the Holy Father will visit this weekend.

South Sudan Minister of Information, Communication and Postal Service Michael Lueth said on Friday that homosexual relations and same-sex marriage are punishable by law in his country.

Speaking to reporters shortly after a cabinet meeting chaired by South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir, Lueth said, “If he [Pope Francis] is coming here and he tells us that marriage of the same sex, homosexuality, is legal, we will say No.”

“God was not mistaken,” Lueth continued. “He created man and woman, and he told them to marry one another and go and fill the world. Do same-sex partners give birth?

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These words of the pope have made their way around the world and have also reached South Sudan, where homosexuality is a crime punishable by up to 14 years in prison. And on Friday January 27, at a press conference following a cabinet meeting headed by President Salva Kiir, Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth said: “If he (Pope Francis) is coming here and he tells us that marriage of the same sex, homosexuality is legal, we will say no.”

“God was not mistaken,” the minister continued. “He created man and woman and he told them to marry one another and go and fill the world. Do same-sex partners give birth? Our constitution is very clear and says marriage is between the opposite sex and any same-sex marriage is a crime, is a constitutional crime.”

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know I'll be attacked for this but why so much support here for legalizing such a reprehensible act that could end up being a threat to public health? I think Fr Murray is right about Pope Francis. I don't know what to say about the penalties of sodomy but Fr Murray makes a good point about prostitution and incest being illegal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So does Fr. Murray likewise support laws that would put people in prison for premarital sex or using birth control or commiting adultery? All mortal sins. Seriously, the picking out of this one sexual sin and thinking it's okay to make it a crime is precisely what the catechism means by unjust discrimination of homosexuals. And it's what draws reasonable minded people to their "movement" to support them and is a good part of how we have ended up with the whole "pride" thing.

I can't believe a priest can in good conscience support countries that would execute somebody for being an active homosexual.

Upvote 0