✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Pope: Evolution, Big Bang do not contradict belief in God - The Washington Post
Speaking to the Pontifical Academy of Science, Pope Francis said that the Big Bang and evolution do not contradict the "intervention of God" as a creator, rather it requires it.

I'm currently outside of the US and am unable to view the video because of licensing issues, so I haven't watched it yet, but I am curious to know your thoughts on it and your perspectives on the article below. I'm bolding parts that are especially interesting to me.

Delivering an address to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, Pope Francis continued his habit of making provocative, seemingly progressive statements. The pontiff appeared to endorse the theory of the Big Bang and told the gathering at the Vatican that there was no contradiction between believing in God as well as the prevailing scientific theories regarding the expansion of our universe.

“When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said. “He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment

The pope avoids gesturing at the thorny issue (at least for some Christians) of whether humans descended from apes. Atheists argue, moreover, that understanding the Big Bang and what emerged from that cosmic moment obviates a need to believe in a deity. On that count, Francis obviously disagrees. He repeated the idea of God not being a “magician,” an entity that conjured all into being.

“God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,” Francis said. “Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”

In other words, to borrow from an earlier Enlightenment idea, God is more a clockmaker than a conjurer of miracles.

Such thinking is not new for the Catholic Church, which for six decades — since the reforms of Pope Pius XII — has espoused belief in theistic evolution. That hinges, of course, on the fundamental acceptance of a higher power.

A 2006 article in the Vatican's main newspaper also distanced the Catholic Church from the idea of "intelligent design," which it said should not be taught in schools as science. The Catholic News Service, which summarizes the article here, explains what distinguishes the Vatican's thinking from more secular understandings of evolution.

What the church does insist upon is that the emergence of the human supposes a willful act of God, and that man cannot be seen as only the product of evolutionary processes, it said. The spiritual element of man is not something that could have developed from natural selection but required an "ontological leap."

Francis's more conservative predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, espoused this view and found the American debate between creationists and those who backed evolution “absurd.” He asked in 2007 why “those who believe in the Creator would not be able to conceive of evolution, and those who instead support evolution would have to exclude God.” And then went on:

This antithesis is absurd because, on the one hand, there are so many scientific proofs in favor of evolution which appears to be a reality we can see and which enriches our knowledge of life and being as such. But on the other, the doctrine of evolution does not answer every query, especially the great philosophical question: where does everything come from? And how did everything start which ultimately led to man? I believe this is of the utmost importance.

Skeptics and atheists, though, may agree with the importance of those questions. But they're still looking for very different answers.

Pope Francis says evolution is real and God is no wizard - The Washington Post

Reactions: Butterfly99

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am sure this has upset a lot of biblical creationists.

I doubt it. Most creationists are protestant and pay little heed to what the pope has to say. They don't even consider the pope to be Christian.

In fact, the more things like this he says, the HAPPIER the protestants get, in hopes that he is the antichrist, and their "persecution" on this earth is nearly at an end.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I doubt it. Most creationists are protestant and pay little heed to what the pope has to say. They don't even consider the pope to be Christian.

In fact, the more things like this he says, the HAPPIER the protestants get, in hopes that he is the antichrist, and their "persecution" on this earth is nearly at an end.

I do not understand religion.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ok, I can deal with that.

I guess the battles inside religion, can be even worse than the battles between believers and non-believers.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟667,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

That's because there are so many, and are not the same. Christianity is just one of them. People also like to put their own values and views into what is taught and then distort the truth. That can confuse things.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
" Evolution in nature is not in contrast with the notion of creation."-Pope

I don't see any problems agreeing with that statement.

"God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,”

Is this a mistranslation since how can God not be a divine being by definition?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟667,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
" Evolution in nature is not in contrast with the notion of creation."-Pope

I don't see any problems agreeing with that statement.

"God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,”

Is this a mistranslation since how can God not be a divine being by definition?

That second quote seems to be nothing BUT a mistranslation. If the creator of the universe isn't a divine being, I don't know what a divine being could possibly be.

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These verses prove why we shouldn't care about anything the Pope has to say:

Matthew 23:9: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Exodus 20:4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Leviticus 4:1: Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟667,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Matthew 23:9: And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Exodus 20:4: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Leviticus 4:1: Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Here are some more reasons. I've never understood why they pray to Mary so much when Mary herself said to listen to Jesus.

Luke 1:38

And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

John 2:3-5

When the wine ran out, the mother of Jesus said to him, “They have no wine.” And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

Acts 4:12--Concerning Jesus:
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I'm not a fan of the Pope either (Catholic form of church government) but that's kind of off topic. What about his statement he made in OP?

I'm not a fan of Obama either yet I do care the statements he makes since it impact others.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nah. Most protestants consider the Pope an agent of Satan.

Do most Protestants really consider the Pope to be an agent of Satan, or primarily just the fundamentalists? I've grown up attending various mainline Protestant churches as we've moved to different cities (Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian and now Presbyterian) and to my knowledge all of them view Catholicism as an equally valid Christian religion and the Pope as the respected head of it. I've only ever lived in major metropolitan cities, so it's very possible that my experiences aren't reflective of the norm. My friend who is a Young Earth Creationist really does believe the Pope is an agent of Satan, not figuratively, but literally literally and that evolution is an evil lie intended to "damn people to hell." She's been indoctrinated with so many beliefs that are radically different from ones in the Protestant denominations I've been a part of beyond just the ones regarding the Pope and evolution.

^ Yes, I am afraid this will be triumphantly held up by some creationists as "evidence as Satan's influence on the Pope."

Reactions: Butterfly99
Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been going to fundamental churches (mostly Baptist) for a long time now and I can't remember the last time I heard anyone even mention the Pope. At best the Pope position may be filled by the "religious" anti-Christ after the rapture of the church.

Not true for those who believes in the pre-tribulation rapture, which I would think is the major of protestants, as the "man of sin" won't be revealed until after the church is removed.

We are not looking for the anti-Christ but Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EternalDragon

Counselor
Jul 31, 2013
✟21,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

I'll agree with that.

But I think the Pope is addressing natural selection that causes variation within species. Not with all the other made up notions within that theory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been going to fundamental churches (mostly Baptist) for a long time now and I can't remember the last time I heard anyone even mention the Pope. At best the Pope position may be filled by the "religious" anti-Christ after the rapture of the church.

Not true for those who believes in the pre-tribulation rapture, which I would think is the major of protestants, as the "man of sin" won't be revealed until after the church is removed.

We are not looking for the anti-Christ but Christ.

Which is odd, since essentially no Christians prior to a couple hundred years ago believed in a rapture at all.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is odd, since essentially no Christians prior to a couple hundred years ago believed in a rapture at all.

This is a good point. It is one that is often ignored or hand-waived away, too.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll agree with that.

But I think the Pope is addressing natural selection that causes variation within species. Not with all the other made up notions within that theory.

No. The pope, and indeed the majority of Catholics, are perfectly fine with the TOE as it is taught in science.

Upvote 0

JayFern

Oct 14, 2014
✟791.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Neither do the religious, they only believe what they have been told to believe so understand very little about religions.
They only believe in one because they know nothing about the others, that one then becomes the one true religion.

It's like saying the language you speak is the best language in the world when you can't speak any others, of course it is.

Upvote 0

Dizredux

Dec 20, 2013
✟10,521.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Neither do the religious, they only believe what they have been told to believe so understand very little about religions.

You are generalizing. Some do as you say but many do not. To make a statement about all theists based on a sample is fallacy pure and true.

Dizredux

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.