Pope Calls Grieving Mother of Son Who Died at World Youth Day: ‘He Comforted Me as if He Were My Dad’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Italian Bishop Luca Raimondi said that ‘the Pope and Luca’s mother cried together.’

Pope Francis called the mother of a young man, Luca Re Sartù, 24, who passed away after apparently contracting a bacterial staph infection during his trip to Portugal for World Youth Day. The infection likely turned into septicemia, leading to organ failure, and the youth died on Aug. 11. The autopsy results are pending.

On Thursday, Aug. 17, the day before the funeral, Pope Francis called the young man’s mother. According to the auxiliary bishop of Milan, Bishop Giovanni Luca Raimondi, who celebrated the youth’s funeral with 13 other ipriests, “the Pope and Luca’s mother cried together.”

“What the mother said to me,” the bishop explained to Vatican Radio, “was, word for word, ‘When you see him [the Pope], thank him for me, because he was exquisitely kind. He grieved with me, he cried with me, and, above all, he was like a father. He consoled me as if he were my dad.’”

“This mother was very, very touched,” the bishop said, adding that he was also moved by the Pope’s gesture. “The Pope shared the tears of this woman. This has struck me. It is very beautiful.”

Continued below.