Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
4-19-13

Vatican City, Apr 19, 2013 / 07:15 am (CNA/EWTN News).-
Pope Francis spent his homily today reflecting on responding to God’s invitations with the heart and not just the intellect, since this leads to ideologies that falsify the Gospel and weigh down the Church.

“The ideologues falsify the gospel. Every ideological interpretation, wherever it comes from – from (whatever side) – is a falsification of the Gospel,” Pope Francis said April 19 at a Mass he celebrated for employees of the Vatican’s printing press and newspaper.

“And these ideologues, as we have seen in the history of the Church, end up being intellectuals without talent, ethicists without goodness – and let us not so much as mention beauty, of which they understand nothing,” he added.

The Pope based his homily on today’s readings from the Acts of the Apostles and the Gospel of John.

Continued- Pope: answering God with the heart protects against ideologies :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus, and by extension the Gospels, are the epitome of common sense. Common sense is sorely lacking in a lot of these "discussions."
I sooooooooo agree with you. It drives me crazy.^_^

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I remember a talk I saw by Scott Hahn on EWTN a long while back where he explained this in an interesting way. Let's say that using only my reason or intellect, I concluded that all the doctrines of Catholicism were true. That would amount to nothing more than a nice coincidence that God and I happened to agree. On the other hand, you must have faith whereby we believe these things because God has revealed them, not solely because you personally judged them to be true. In addition to that, faith must be taken to heart--we need that true metanoia (a change of heart from sin to the practice of virtue)--which the Pope seems to be referring to here.

Of course, in relality, due to our fallen nature, using just our intellect, we tend not to even have that nice coincidence where we agree with God. Without that metanoia, we tend to oppose God. Therefore, as the Pope notes, we end up imposing on our religion our erroneous ideologies which we have derived ourselves or which we have taken from other sources other than God, but which please our fallen intellects. We become "ever learning yet never attaining knowledge of the truth." (2 Tim 3:7).

It should also be noted, the opposite thing, eliminating the intellect in the realm of religion, causes the same problems. Reducing faith to merely a kind of motion of the heart, hidden and unconscious, a natural instinct belonging to the emotions, a feeling for the divine that cannot be expressed in words or doctrinal propositions is the heresy of Modernism. By denying the reality of an objective, external revelation received with the intellect ("faith comes by hearing" Rom. 10:17), the door is opened again for the imposition of all sorts of false ideologies incompatible with that revelation.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember a talk I saw by Scott Hahn on EWTN a long while back where he explained this in an interesting way. Let's say that using only my reason or intellect, I concluded that all the doctrines of Catholicism were true. That would amount to nothing more than a nice coincidence that God and I happened to agree. On the other hand, you must have faith whereby we believe these things because God has revealed them, not solely because you personally judged them to be true. In addition to that, faith must be taken to heart--we need that true metanoia (a change of heart from sin to the practice of virtue)--which the Pope seems to be referring to here.

Of course, in relality, due to our fallen nature, using just our intellect, we tend not to even have that nice coincidence where we agree with God. Without that metanoia, we tend to oppose God. Therefore, as the Pope notes, we end up imposing on our religion our erroneous ideologies which we have derived ourselves or which we have taken from other sources other than God, but which please our fallen intellects. We become "ever learning yet never attaining knowledge of the truth." (2 Tim 3:7).

It should also be noted, the opposite thing, eliminating the intellect in the realm of religion, causes the same problems. Reducing faith to merely a kind of motion of the heart, hidden and unconscious, a natural instinct belonging to the emotions, a feeling for the divine that cannot be expressed in words or doctrinal propositions is the heresy of Modernism. By denying the reality of an objective, external revelation received with the intellect ("faith comes by hearing" Rom. 10:17), the door is opened again for the imposition of all sorts of false ideologies incompatible with that revelation.
Good post.

The two greatest commandments are this:
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I think people don't realize what loving the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, & soul means though.

Upvote 0