Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Pope, repeating information he had revealed in a prior interview, said that he signed a resignation letter two months after his election as pope in case he should become incapacitated.

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis addressed once again the question of whether he will resign the papacy in two conversations with Jesuit priests in Africa this month.

“I believe that the pope’s ministry is ‘ad vitam.’ I see no reason why it should not be so,” the Pope said Feb. 2 during a private conversation with 82 Jesuits in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Francis met the group of priests at the apostolic nunciature in Kinshasa, where he was staying during his Jan. 31-Feb. 3 visit to the DRC.

The conversations were reported in the Jesuit-run journal La Civiltà Cattolica.

The Pope, repeating information he had revealed in a prior interview, said that he signed a resignation letter two months after his election as pope in case he should become incapacitated.

He said he gave the letter to Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican’s secretary of state at the time, but he does not know now where the letter is.

Continued below.