Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
B

belladonic-haze

CHARLES H said:
it's still against the law. no way around it. if i stole your car would that be my personal choice?

If I conscented...yes;)

Those women have a choice. If he is that good to maintain three wives and they are all happy...I do not see the crime. I know it is the law, but laws can be changed..........If something is the law, it doesn't mean it is a good law or a reasonable law.

But my opinion was asked.....stay or go...and I say stay. Who am I to judge the judge?

Upvote 0

CHARLES H

May 16, 2005
TEXAS
✟9,861.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
belladonic-haze said:
If I conscented...yes;)

Those women have a choice. If he is that good to maintain three wives and they are all happy...I do not see the crime. I know it is the law, but laws can be changed..........If something is the law, it doesn't mean it is a good law or a reasonable law.

But my opinion was asked.....stay or go...and I say stay. Who am I to judge the judge?

well until it is changed he is guilty. as a judge he is held to a higher standard than normal citizenry. he knew he was wrong and choose to disobey.

Upvote 0

CHARLES H

May 16, 2005
TEXAS
✟9,861.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
belladonic-haze said:
Things won't change until someone stands up and makes that change...;)

who will stand up for this change. who wants more than one wife? don't get me wrong the obvious would be great,but the nagging............one wife is enough for me.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Norseman said:
What law did he break?

Since the judicial conduct committee found him to be polygamous he broke the law against having more than one spouse.

Technically....when nobody was fooled into believing they were marrying into a monogamous marriage, and only ONE of the "marriages" is legal I'm not sure he can really legally charged....but ethics is another issue... a person can have sanctions imposed by a governing body in their profession without facing legal charges.

hmm.. does Utah have "common law" marriage laws? I wonder how it effects a person who is legally married to one person who lives with someone else in a state where merely living together for a period of time makes on married?

But anyway I'm wandering down a side trail ...if he's a judge and he's found to be in violation of the legal statutes in his state I'm thinking an ethics committee would wonder how he could possibly judge according to the laws that he himself is not adhering to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Petunia said:
He broke the law.. so he should be removed. He married three sisters. What if the three sisters decided to each marry three of his brothers? Can we say 'all in the family'.:doh:

He married 3 sisters! :eek: Those 32 kids will have a heck of a time understanding the family tree.

In my family two brothers married two sisters and boy oh boy trying to keep track ain't easy. :confused:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
wanderingone said:
hmm.. does Utah have "common law" marriage laws?
Interesting point. My first take on this was that if they haven't registered the marriages with the civil authority, he can't be a polygamist under the law. But it turns out that Utah does recognize common law marriage. The requirements are:
For a common-law marriage, a man and woman must (1) be capable of giving consent and getting married; (2) cohabit; and (3) have a reputation of being husband and wife. (Common Law Marriage Fact Sheet)
So that would provide the basis for finding him to be a polygamist.

Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"(1) be capable of giving consent and getting married"

Since he was already married, he was incapable of legally marrying the other women, so they could not be married under common law. Polygamy laws refer to legal marriage. If you think its right to have 7 wives, thats fine as long as you dont start registering them all as legal wives.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maynard Keenan said:
"(1) be capable of giving consent and getting married"

Since he was already married, he was incapable of legally marrying the other women, so they could not be married under common law. Polygamy laws refer to legal marriage. If you think its right to have 7 wives, thats fine as long as you dont start registering them all as legal wives.

But I think in terms of the common law marriage laws it means capable as in physically, mentally, emotionally capable.. if it meant legally capable wouldn't it allude to that?

Oops.. looked up Utah statutes... (why I don't know cause strangely this stuff fascinates me)

(1) A marriage which is not solemnized according to this chapter shall be legal and valid if a court or administrative order establishes that it arises out of a contract between two consenting parties who:

(a) are capable of giving consent;

(b) are legally capable of entering a solemnized marriage under the provisions of this chapter;

(c] have cohabited;

(d) mutually assume marital rights, duties, and obligations; and

(e) who hold themselves out as and have acquired a uniform and general reputation as husband and wife. (2) The determination or establishment of a marriage under this section must occur during the relationship described in Subsection (1), or within one year following the termination of that relationship. Evidence of a marriage recognizable under this section may be manifested in any form, and may be proved under the same general rules of evidence as facts in other cases.

http://www.law2.byu.edu/Wardle/New_Fam/family_law_utah.htm

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
wanderingone said:
But I think in terms of the common law marriage laws it means capable as in physically, mentally, emotionally capable.. if it meant legally capable wouldn't it allude to that?

It didn't allude to being physically, mentally or emotionally capable. All it said was that you must be capable. He wasn't.

Upvote 0