Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
None of the above. The 17th century mustache-stinger combo is what it's all about. Six popes in a row rocked it, none before them and none after :cool: :

Alexander VII:
Alexander_VII.JPG

Clement IX:
Clement_IX.JPG

Clement X:
Clement_X.JPG

Bl. Inncent XI:
BlInnocent_XI.JPG

continued...

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think there is/was a canon about this! I think priests had to be clean shaven as a sign as their separation from the world. Because most men had beards, priests would stand out. But now that most men in western culture are clean shaven I think that it has changed...? But I'm not sure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I think that's disrespectful and blasphemous.

Nah, Neither actually. We all know we love him and we are not that uptight over him. How is it blastphemous? I do nothing against God or take away from his holiness hun. I noticed your other posts on him, and I know you have an interest in him, so I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. But we know we can kid about things and still have the respect for our church leader.

There was no hard feeling towards him hun. Laugh a little.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of the above. The 17th century mustache-stinger combo is what it's all about. Six popes in a row rocked it, none before them and none after :cool: :
That's some kickin' facial hair. I like it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I can see I overreacted a little.
I'm sorry. Thanks for responding in such a kind way :)

No Problem, that is the Catholic way! :thumbsup:

BTW, Welcome to OBOB. Are you growing closer with the answers you are receiving here?

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This Catholic Lady says that the beards rock, but clean-shaven is cool too. I grew up Russian Orthodox so I'm use to having all my priests have the long long beards. :)

A thought...I imagine with no better other half, there wouldn't be any opposition for Pope Benedict or any other, come to think of it! :D

:eek: You are a Russian Spy?! You aren't doing to well at it by announcing it! You had better take off your anouncment or they might fire you!

:-D

-Peace-

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,818.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The Biblical base for this thread is:

Lev 19:27 You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard.

That is the reason why many Jewish use long braids (even if the this commantment is usually considered not mandatory)

Anyway it is the sign that in the ancient semitic tradition the long hair/beard/braids is a religious sign (think also to Sanson)

Upvote 0

Hairy Tic

May 4, 2005
✟2,144.00
Faith
Catholic
We were having a talk about beards in TAW (imagine that ;) ) and it got me thinking about the fact that most Popes that come to mind have not had them (though all the icons of Pope Gregory the Great that I've seen in Orthodox churches have him with a beard).

Hence the Poll. Catholics only please. Should Pope Benedict grow a big ol' CFR type beard? Or should he remain clean shaven? Vote! Explain why or why not!

By the way, this is the most important poll any of you will ever vote in ;)
## Most 16th-century Popes had beards, starting with Paul III in 1534, & ending (IIRC) with Urban VIII in 1644. These things go in waves.

I can't really see the present Pope in a beard ##

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.