tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have stated this before, but will give it another go.

IMO, this thread would be more useful in making a point, if it only mentioned police shootings (killings), where there is evidence, the police acted improperly. Clearly, there are cases when the police acted improperly and there are likely many cases in which the police acted properly, in shooting and killing someone.

That is, unless it is someone's actual view point, that police should never use deadly force in the midst of doing their job and protecting themselves and the public.

Now, I could start a thread and count all of the people who died on the operating table while getting surgery and say; surgeons killed this many people. Since, a lot of people die on the operating table, this raw number may seem impressive and or may lead some to believe surgeons are to blame for this number. But, the raw number, does not take into account the specific situation and determine how sick these people were and whether there was any medical negligence involved in the death.

Details folks, details.

Hey, I absolutely would be interested in a thread like you describe. It's not how I picture this one but if you'd like to start one I'd gladly be a part of it. :wave:
tulc(US police have killed 83 more people this year then last)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey, I absolutely would be interested in a thread like you describe. It's not how I picture this one but if you'd like to start one I'd gladly be a part of it. :wave:
tulc(US police have killed 83 more people this year then last)

No desire to make a new thread, just making a general point about this one.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
a bag limit?

I know you don't mean this :)

But I can see how a quack kill limit thing could work > after so many self defense kills . . . no more are allowed, for the rest of the year. Each city has its specified limit.

What would happen if there were kills left at the end of the year?
It would be better than how politicians can't . . . or won't . . . work within their budget!! :)

I know of one officer who faced a man to forced him into "suicide by cop". He was not delighted. I think there are plenty of officers who no way are interested in hurting anyone.

I think of how the London police used to not carry guns. They could call out "stop in the name of the Queen", and a crook would stop. I don't know if they carry, now; but they did have guns available.

I guess it could be good to have some kind of a "calm down and take a breath" rule, because any of us can act in haste. But if you are faced with a person ready to pull the trigger . . . . . . you might not have that time to breathe. And there are ones who can be hiding a gun and could swing and sucker-shoot you; so if a guy keeps going, ignoring your order to show your hands . . . . you don't know if he is getting ready to try to sucker-shoot you or not.

And police have families; they want to go home; and may be they feel pressured by their wives' worry that they might get killed, that day.

So, I would say, don't play games with someone who has a gun. People know they can get killed by an officer, now; so be respectful and cooperative.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No desire to make a new thread, just making a general point about this one.

Well I'm doing the thread how I feel I should do it, but thanks for your input! :wave:
tulc(can always use constructive input) :)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm doing the thread how I feel I should do it, but thanks for your input! :wave:
May be you are using the Donald marketing approach for getting attention. Make a fell sweep statement about "the police" and ones might feel obligated to defend their police, and so they participate. But if you did it in a "nice" way, ones might just say, oh how nice, and how clear he has made his point, and never say anything. So - - if you use a little bit of psychological terrorism . . . holding the police reputation hostage, in order to get your demands for attention met :) then the tread turns into . . . up to now . . . 1005 posts . . . enough yarn to make an afghan!! Issues are brought up, different people are drawn out . . . . . . . .

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
May be you are using the Donald marketing approach for getting attention. Make a fell sweep statement about "the police" and ones might feel obligated to defend their police, and so they participate. But if you did it in a "nice" way, ones might just say, oh how nice, and how clear he has made his point, and never say anything. So - - if you use a little bit of psychological terrorism . . . holding the police reputation hostage, in order to get your demands for attention met :) then the tread turns into . . . up to now . . . 1005 posts . . . enough yarn to make an afghan!! Issues are brought up, different people are drawn out . . . . . . . .
Tulc hasn't made any false or misleading statements about the police, he has simply cited the number killed.

Many of us, myself included, have noted the fact that while the number of killings definitely represents something being wrong, it isn't all on the cops, in fact most of it probably isn't. We train cops in a way that this happens more often. We equip and staff them in ways that make these killings more likely. Finally, we have a highly armed populace. This is going to inflate the number no matter what.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...or, I'm not doing any of the above? :scratch:
tulc(thought that should be pointed out) :)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...or, I'm not doing any of the above? :scratch:
tulc(thought that should be pointed out) :)
I would say that what I can imagine might not be what is going on in your head. I can be overly analytical . . . overthinking . . . a number of people have said.

And I think you have made it clear that there are police whom you appreciate, whom you feel are doing good.

I think that is a point, which Vylo has shared . . . how things are set up in ways which can help make it more possible for there to be more killings by police, than "necessary". But I think they are trained, and ones training them have experience, so they can learn how to do things without lethal force.

But character can make someone able to justify wrong killing. We need how God makes us becoming in character >

"Love does no harm to a neighbor" (in Romans 13:10).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.