Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really like Jericho Walls & Rise Up Lazarus. I’ve never heard them sung in church but it’s just music. They’re about defeating lies & trusting God. I find them very helpful & listen to them before doing something that I think could be challenging.
I love "Rise Up" too. Good choice!

I wonder if many people of the current generation just blindly accept the whole praise/worship team thing in church, because they've never experienced the moving beauty of hearing a church choir singing live, or having the whole congregation sing together in unison, with no voices above the rest. There's really nothing like it. It feels like a little slice of what we'll be experiencing in Heaven.

I enjoy some contemporary Christian music, along with many old hymns. But when I'm actually IN church... I don't want to hear the stuff I hear on the radio.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to not contribute to these sorts of discussions as I usually listen to metal and progressive rock, and those aren't generally what people are interested in hearing.

But here's something which is on the more accessible side. These songs are taken from a rock opera called "Jesus Christ the Exorcist", about the life of Jesus and focusing mainly on his last few days. And for anyone wondering, that is John Schlitt of Petra in the second video, who has definitely still got it.

Hey, Petra had some crazy good songs back in their day!

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I wonder if many people of the current generation just blindly accept the whole praise/worship team thing in church, because they've never experienced the moving beauty of hearing a church choir singing live, or having the whole congregation sing together in unison, with no voices above the rest. There's really nothing like it. It feels like a little slice of what we'll be experiencing in Heaven.

I enjoy some contemporary Christian music, along with many old hymns. But when I'm actually IN church... I don't want to hear the stuff I hear on the radio.
Churches originally fought against including more than a piano or a simple stringed instrument or 2 b/c they were concerned it'd lead to taking away from the human voice........They were absolutely right.

Again, I have to say it doesn't mean they're doing it wrong, I've attended churches regularly where the music is very focused on the leaders, & the church has stuck to what I would say is correct teaching & ministries. Just what can it lead to, what is it promoting?

I'm not sure where it's coming from. Seminaries encouraging churches to be seeker-friendly. The leaders wanting to fulfill their dream of playing in a band. The congregation being bashful in singing. Mix of problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLastGeek
Upvote 0

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I really like Jericho Walls & Rise Up Lazarus. I’ve never heard them sung in church but it’s just music. They’re about defeating lies & trusting God. I find them very helpful & listen to them before doing something that I think could be challenging.

Me too. I hear you. My family's church is starting to get into that where it's just lead singers & loud music blasting to drown out the congregation even if they wanted to join in............I've gone regularly to other churches that do that. I think it largely destroys the purpose. If I just wanted to listen, I'd stay home & just listen to music. I guess it's still a lesson in humility, just take it in, be happy the leader is so passionate, & I suppose I don't really believe it's a wrong way to worship (some people do like it & do see it beneficial), I just think it's a bit off.

The church I go to more consistently doesn't do that & I'm grateful. So what I'm working on is when I go w/ my family is to recognize that just b/c some churches do stuff a little different, it's not necessarily wrong.

I share your sentiments, and I'm in agreement with both of you. Although I'm still relatively new to Christianity, one of my initial forum posts revolved around my thoughts on worship music within the church.

Personally I find absolutely nothing edifying about what is considered worship music by many today.

I’d probably bypass at least the last 50-100 years from my search.

There are some beautiful songs on this album:

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Plenipotent

Aug 16, 2023
Massachusetts
✟12,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I believe that if individuals can connect with worship through music, that's wonderful. Personally, I find it a bit distracting. I have a deep appreciation for music, but I prefer to enjoy it in my own personal time rather than during a church service. To me, it takes away from the message and takes me away from God and not towards him.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I like this one too
Oh man, I love Toby Mac. His songs are so uplifting to me.

"Lift your head
It ain't over yet
So MOVE
Keep walking
Soldier, keep moving on.

I can hold your hand
But I can't turn your eyes to freedom"

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been appreciating Toby Mac's music for like... 20 years now. His style may just sound like another hip-hop/pop song, but the messages just hit straight to my heart sometimes. I heard "Irene" a long, long time ago, and as a new single mom who was scared, struggling, and felt so alone and depressed, it felt like it was being sung directly at me.

"Daughter of Zion, I heard your prayers
Just cast your cares
And please beware
Of snakes
They come in all shapes and sizes
Tempt you
Put scales on your eyelids

Keep your head up
Don't you ever let up
The storm will pass
You'll be ready for the next one

Hey, little girl, with the pressures of the world on your shoulders
Don't say that it's over

Hush, little baby
Don't you cry
Daddy's gonna sing you a lullaby
Everything's gonna be all right
The Lord's gonna answer your prayer tonight"

Reactions: Plenipotent
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If I may speak for earlier contemporary Christian music I'd suggest looking at Carmen, Petra, Leon Patillo, Mylon Lefevre and Amy Grant. Phil Keaggy and Paul Clark too for a bit of jazz. So much great music to discover out there.

Upvote 0