• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Please Pray for Me. I Have Social Anxiety and Have to Speak in Meetings...

bigcat1967

May 2, 2011
✟7,650.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This week - I'll be "acting manager" where my manager will be on vacation. Since I am a supervisor and have to fill in what she does, I have to go to all the meetings that she goes to.

The problem with this is that I have Social Anxiety and panic attacks. Especially in a class room setting or meetings. So please pray for me that God will give me peace and comfort before and during all these meetings.

I really appreciate it and God bless you all!

Aug 15, 2011
✟9,393.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello :)

If it's any help, read the document I posted (#4) on SuzieQ's thread on breathing exercises. Memorise them and use them prior to any public speaking, and before you enter the room, flex your neck muscles.

When at a meeting, smile a little and say "Erm please excuse my nervousness. I'm not used to this". By admitting your anxiety, people will empathise by smiling back. It will really help break the ice.

When you speak, look at the furthest point in the room just above the heads of the people sitting. It neatly avoids eye contact (helping you) while giving the impression to the audience you are addressing them personally. Project your voice so you can be heard by the audience sitting at the back.

Double-space, or even triple-space your speech notes. Use a larger font (I use 24pt with headings the same size, but in bold). This makes for easier referring when you look down. Keep if poss, to one sheet of A4 paper; two sheets' max.

When you close in public speaking, thank the audience for their time.

A teaspoon of Lea&Perrins' Worcester Sauce cures all frogs in throats. ;)

It is perfectly normal to feel some anxiety when in the public eye. I feel anxious but once into my spiel, it departs. I have to chair board meetings. Another tip, is dress to kill. I power dress, usually in black Amarni. Dress up to look mean, look at yourself in the mirror and smile back at yourself. It's a great confidence booster. :)

Do let me know how you get on. I may be a hardened CEO, but even I can't whip the butterflies! :o

~Gaby

This week - I'll be "acting manager" where my manager will be on vacation. Since I am a supervisor and have to fill in what she does, I have to go to all the meetings that she goes to.

The problem with this is that I have Social Anxiety and panic attacks. Especially in a class room setting or meetings. So please pray for me that God will give me peace and comfort before and during all these meetings.

I really appreciate it and God bless you all!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums