Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What daily physical exercises do you recommend?

Depends on how old you are, what work you do, what your goals are, limitations if any, etc. No easy answer except possibly a brisk walk, including some hills, for about 30 minutes each day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things,

The passage refers to forbidding and abstaining from certain physical indulgences, not physical exercise.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
What daily physical exercises do you recommend?
Really these may not be needed if YHWH's directions can be accomplished:
work six days a week
study(train) to work with your hands, dependent on no one.
Take care of others as needed, beginning with the brethren,
and .. well, that's a good start,
and results in being healthy usually.... blessed by YHWH in every way perhaps ? (when done by faith in Y'SHUA, relying ON HIM and TRUSTING IN HIM all the time).

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Really these may not be needed if YHWH's directions can be accomplished:
work six days a week
study(train) to work with your hands, dependent on no one.
Take care of others as needed, beginning with the brethren,
and .. well, that's a good start,
and results in being healthy usually.... blessed by YHWH in every way perhaps ? (when done by faith in Y'SHUA, relying ON HIM and TRUSTING IN HIM all the time).
Good comment,'Ysj'

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The passage refers to forbidding and abstaining from certain physical indulgences, not physical exercise.
I do not see that in the passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

'For physical training is of some value,but godliness has value for all things' (1 Tim.4:8) (NIV)

In Paul's day, ordinary people worked hard. Even a soldier's normal day was physically hard, just hauling around the 90 pounds of gear a Roman soldier carried.

"Physical training" would have been for those who dedicated their lives to sport--professional athletes--or the wealthy and indolent who were concentrating on looking good.

Of course in the West today that includes most of us (those who could as well as those who actually do).

I think the message for us today is not that we should eschew exercise, because lacking the daily physical exertion of normal people in Paul's day, we need to add physical training to be good stewards of our individual bodies and ensure the ability to serve the Body of Christ as long as we live.

But rather, that we should understand that even with the best exercise, our physical bodies will peak, then grow older, weaker, and eventually die. That's the "some value."

But our spirits--properly "exercised"-- continue to grow stronger and stronger and stronger throughout our lives, an upward slope with no peak. That's "value for all things."

• Agree
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Neither did I until I studied it. :swoon:

Would you accept a challenge to study the verse;

In the context of the preceding verses (1-7)
and,
In the context of the Greek definition of the word exercise as it best pertains to that context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In Paul's day, ordinary people worked hard. Even a soldier's normal day was physically hard, just hauling around the 90 pounds of gear a Roman soldier carried.

"Physical training" would have been for those who dedicated their lives to sport--professional athletes--or the wealthy and indolent who were concentrating on looking good.

Of course in the West today that includes most of us (those who could as well as those who actually do).

I think the message for us today is not that we should eschew exercise, because lacking the daily physical exertion of normal people in Paul's day, we need to add physical training to be good stewards of our individual bodies and ensure the ability to serve the Body of Christ as long as we live.

But rather, that we should understand that even with the best exercise, our physical bodies will peak, then grow older, weaker, and eventually die. That's the "some value."

But our spirits--properly "exercised"-- continue to grow stronger and stronger and stronger throughout our lives, an upward slope with no peak. That's "value for all things."
Makes sense to exercise as necessary for the benefit of our health and to enjoy life,in a wholesome way,which is what Jesus wants us to do. Thankyou 'RDKirk' and friends.

Upvote 0