Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Noticing some Arizona photos from Tad. I briefly lived in Arizona a dozen years ago or so, but Phoenix area- Mesa, Glendale, etc.. I bounced around quite a bit in that area over like 6 months before heading back east. ;) That's why there's the etc.. :)

Anyway, I didn't have a camera back then. So, if you happen to have any Phoenix area pictures, I know I'd be interested. :) Very striking spiritual vibe to some parts of it.

I also remember driving to Winslow, which took about 3 hours, just to stand on a corner like in the old Eagles song (Actually penned by Jackson Brown) " Take it Easy". I called a bunch of people from that corner. Disappointingly, few got my reference. ;) Some amazing scenery on the way, at times I was basically driving up very narrow roads winding up huge moutains with sheer cliffs and a minumum of guard rails! I was shocked that those roads passed muster with whatever agency is responsible for road safety. If you didn't take a turn right, I can imagine cars just flying end over end through the air off those cliffs. But maybe my memory is exagerating. :) Anyway, some beautiful views.

We avoid the Phoenix area and Phoenicians if we can (too much random gun fire). Over the Labour Day weekend we went the back way into the White Mtns to avoid the crowds and the guns and the ATV's. In Morenci, the highway goes through a huge open pit mine. I'm pretty sure this is the only federal highway inside a mine. Here's some pics.....
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We avoid the Phoenix area and Phoenicians if we can (too much random gun fire). Over the Labour Day weekend we went the back way into the White Mtns to avoid the crowds and the guns and the ATV's. In Morenci, the highway goes through a huge open pit mine. I'm pretty sure this is the only federal highway inside a mine. Here's some pics.....View attachment 182356 View attachment 182357 View attachment 182358 View attachment 182359

I see a land scarred and it breaks my heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also took this picture. This is the Dallas North Tollway bridge. We walked to house belonging to the head of the black snake to let him know we are still here. Many called his house the snake's den. People from all walks of life gathered together today to stand in solidarity with the Standing Rock Sioux and to stand against the black snake DAPL.

IMG_0286.JPG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A picture I took of the cultural appropriation at the Energy Transfer Chief Oil & Gas in Dallas, Texas.

It saddens me to see that stuff like that still exists in 2016. They don't even have the excuse of a sports franchise where a sports franchise can claim generations of fans are really attached to the team's nickname and logo or whatever and would struggle with a change after decades upon decades. No such attachment exists to an oil, gas, or energy company's name or logo. Most people scowl at whatever the name is each month when they have to pay their bills. So there's not a reason in this world why the name and logo can't be changed to something less offensive.

I'll tell you, this whole thing at Standing Rock has really opened my eyes to just how bad a problem we still have when it comes to our treatment of Native Americans in this country, just as some prior events opened my eyes on how far we still have to go in truly treating African-Americans with respect as equal members of our society. I wasn't naive enough to think we totally had problems like that licked, but I guess I thought we'd made more progress than we actually have made.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It saddens me to see that stuff like that still exists in 2016. They don't even have the excuse of a sports franchise where a sports franchise can claim generations of fans are really attached to the team's nickname and logo or whatever and would struggle with a change after decades upon decades. No such attachment exists to an oil, gas, or energy company's name or logo. Most people scowl at whatever the name is each month when they have to pay their bills. So there's not a reason in this world why the name and logo can't be changed to something less offensive.

I'll tell you, this whole thing at Standing Rock has really opened my eyes to just how bad a problem we still have when it comes to our treatment of Native Americans in this country, just as some prior events opened my eyes on how far we still have to go in truly treating African-Americans with respect as equal members of our society. I wasn't naive enough to think we totally had problems like that licked, but I guess I thought we'd make more progress than we actually have made.

Thank you, my friend. I have a post I would like for you to read here. It will give you an idea of some of the struggles Native Americans are facing today.

Upvote 0