✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How consistent are your beliefs?

Take this "Philosophical Health Check" and see if it finds any tensions in your beliefs:

Philosophical Health Check

Not to brag (I'm gunna brag) I, along with 4% of people, got zero tensions as a result of this test. Though I think I may have done it a few years ago and had a few tensions. Hopefully I have just become more consistent. :p

There are also lots of other fun tests on that site. How do you do? :)

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is one of those Facebook tests, isn't it? I can tell by how bad it is.

Apparently I got 3 cases of "tension", yet the writer solves one of them without realising, doesn't understand the difference between positive discrimination and a meritocracy (apparently "in certain circumstances" means "in all circumstances"), and didn't give me a "I know nothing about Michelangelo" choice, forcing me to guess. I'm not convinced that whoever made this understands ethics, how to do a survey, or what the word "tension" means.

Upvote 0

The Engineer

I defeated Dr Goetz
Jul 29, 2012
✟15,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I did the test before even seeing this thread. Weird. I got around 13% tension, as did around 10% of all people who took the test.

Statements 24 and 3: How much must I protect the environment?
54% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
The environment should not be damaged unnecessarily in the pursuit of human ends
But disagreed that:
People should not journey by car if they can walk, cycle or take a train instead
I used a rather wide interpretation of can. You can carry an old man having a heart attack into a hospital, but he will likely die as a result. Others would say you can't do it because he will die. So there's no real tension here, I guess.

Statements 2 and 9: Can we please ourselves?
25% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.
You agreed that:
So long as they do not harm others, individuals should be free to pursue their own ends
But disagreed that:
The possession of drugs for personal use should be decriminalised
In order not to be in contradiction here, you must be able to make a convincing case that the personal use of drugs harms people other than the drug user.
I think I could make this case. So there's no contradiction here, although I'm not sure if it still doesn't qualify as tension.

I like this site. It actually has plenty of good material for making future threads.

Apparently I got 3 cases of "tension", yet the writer solves one of them without realising, doesn't understand the difference between positive discrimination and a meritocracy (apparently "in certain circumstances" means "in all circumstances"), and didn't give me a "I know nothing about Michelangelo" choice, forcing me to guess. I'm not convinced that whoever made this understands ethics, how to do a survey, or what the word "tension" means.
What tensions did you get, exactly?

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What tensions did you get, exactly?

I re-took it, and managed to get the same results (more difficult than it sounds given how I neither agreed nor disagreed with several statements, and made what was really a guess the first time round, which I then had to remember this time):

The first is this:

Statements 1 and 27: Is morality relative?

46% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures
And also that:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil

The argument initially made is that apparently it is contradictory to recognise subjective morality and still make judgments. If this were true, then it would be contradictory to have a favourite colour. Entertainingly, the writer then solves this "tension":

To reconcile the tension, you could say that all you mean is that to say 'genocide is evil' is to express the values of your particular culture. It does not mean that genocide is evil for all cultures and for all times.

Before forgetting that objective and subjective mean different things in the final conclusion:

If moral judgements really are 'merely the expression of the values of a particular culture', then how are the values which reject genocide and torture at all superior to those which don ot?

The writer apparently does not realise that one can subjectively view their own culturally ingrained viewpoints as the superior ideals. It doesn't help that the survey apparently distinguishes between statements of opinion and statements of fact, but doesn't tell you which questions you are supposed to give opinion for, and which you are supposed to give a factually correct answer to.

Then we get this:

Statements 20 and 13: Is positive discrimination justified?

9% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
In certain circumstances, it might be desirable to discriminate positively in favour of a person as recompense for harms done to him/her in the past
And disagreed that:
It is not always right to judge individuals solely on their merits

This mostly stems from the vagueness of the first statement. I don't know every single situation - perhaps it might be desirable, and therefore I have no choice but to agree. Nor is positive discrimination necessarily the same as actively judging someone. If I were teaching a class about rape, and I had a student who had been raped in the past, I may positively discriminate in their favour by allowing them to skip the class. At no point am I judging them, I'm merely recognising a potentially triggering situation.

I can see how the two statements contradict, but it requires a very narrow set of definitions and potential circumstances. The writer simply defines positive discrimination as taking factors other than ability into account when considering how to treat someone - this encompasses a wider scope than the second statement does.

The final one was this:

Statements 14 and 25: How do we judge art?

30% of the people who have completed this activity have this tension in their beliefs.

You agreed that:
Judgements about works of art are purely matters of taste
And also that:
Michaelangelo is indubitably one of history's finest artists

I got this one because I know next to nothing about Michelangelo, and so just picked an answer. A decent survey would give me a "no opinion" option. Again, the issue with some questions appearing to be a matter of opinion and others being statements of fact comes into play. "Indubitably" is not always a word that implies objectivity, it can also be used subjectively to describe a strong opinion.

All in all, it was an entertaining survey, but a badly executed one.

Upvote 0

The Engineer

I defeated Dr Goetz
Jul 29, 2012
✟15,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I re-took it, and managed to get the same results (more difficult than it sounds given how I neither agreed nor disagreed with several statements, and made what was really a guess the first time round, which I then had to remember this time):

The first is this: [...]

The argument initially made is that apparently it is contradictory to recognise subjective morality and still make judgments. If this were true, then it would be contradictory to have a favourite colour. Entertainingly, the writer then solves this "tension": [...]
There's no contradiction in your view, sure. Now that you say it, I think the term 'tension' is really quite misleading. I don't see how two moral systems which are both entirely consistent could have different levels of 'tension'.

Before forgetting that objective and subjective mean different things in the final conclusion: [...]

The writer apparently does not realise that one can subjectively view their own culturally ingrained viewpoints as the superior ideals.
If you judge subjective moral systems based solely on your own, subjective view and not on objective standards, then there is no contradiction, right. Aside from that, the quote from the website seemed quite odd to me. Whether the subjective standards by which you answer moral questions is superior to other subjective standards was not at all important, if you ask me. That would have been an entirely different matter.

The last sentence from the quote in your post (that's confusing :confused:) was a question. I don't think that was a 'I got you there!'-question, but rather a simple 'Think about it!'-question. I've taken many tests on the website, and it's my impression that the authors want their readers to think for themselves. They don't want to show them how stupid they are. Maybe you interpreted the question more harshly then the authors intended?

It doesn't help that the survey apparently distinguishes between statements of opinion and statements of fact, but doesn't tell you which questions you are supposed to give opinion for, and which you are supposed to give a factually correct answer to.
I didn't see this problem when I took the test, but it sounds at least plausible. Maybe if I retake the test, which I'll probably do tomorrow.

Then we get this: [...]

This mostly stems from the vagueness of the first statement. I don't know every single situation - perhaps it might be desirable, and therefore I have no choice but to agree. Nor is positive discrimination necessarily the same as actively judging someone. If I were teaching a class about rape, and I had a student who had been raped in the past, I may positively discriminate in their favour by allowing them to skip the class. At no point am I judging them, I'm merely recognising a potentially triggering situation.

I can see how the two statements contradict, but it requires a very narrow set of definitions and potential circumstances. The writer simply defines positive discrimination as taking factors other than ability into account when considering how to treat someone - this encompasses a wider scope than the second statement does.
Point taken, I don't see the contradiction there. Unless I go out of my way to construct one, that is.

The final one was this: [...]

I got this one because I know next to nothing about Michelangelo, and so just picked an answer. A decent survey would give me a "no opinion" option.
The Wikipedia article for Michelangelo states in the second paragraph that he's considered one of the most talented artists of all time. I don't know much more about him, either, but I think that's all you need to know to see what the question is aiming at.

Again, the issue with some questions appearing to be a matter of opinion and others being statements of fact comes into play. "Indubitably" is not always a word that implies objectivity, it can also be used subjectively to describe a strong opinion.
Now I see what you meant. Yes, that's definitely bad wording on the side of the author.

All in all, it was an entertaining survey, but a badly executed one.
They have better surveys, if you ask me. Still, it made me think, and that's at least something, even though it didn't change my views.

0%

Yay consistency.
You could have consistency with a higher tension, too. It would just be harder to pull off, but not impossible.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,351.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You could have consistency with a higher tension, too. It would just be harder to pull off, but not impossible.

That's true, but I tend to take the side of arguments I find easiest to defend.

I purposefully answered the questions so that I would have the least trouble stringing my answers together into a coherent defense of the whole.

I suppose that is how you get 0% on the exercise, pretend that you have to defend the entire set of answers at once with the least effort.

But this is how I think in general it just happens to also seem to be what the exercise was for.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟16,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I got six, and I must say that the analysis is quite good on this. In my defence, everyone holds some sort of contradictory beliefs one way or the other, or in this case because it was a true or false questionnaire one could not elaborate on their position more clearly and as such these tensions arises.

To the OP: interesting find.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've taken that test before and passed with flying colors. I had no "tensions".

If memory serves, I also thought that some of the questions were worded poorly. It would have been easy to fumble through a misunderstanding of the intent of the question.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I agree that all the tensions might not be tensions, but I think it does mention that such tensions could just be areas where more complex reasoning is needed to explain why there is no tension.

I was rather unsure about some of the options I picked, such as whether we should ride bikes rather than drive cars if we can. I also avoided saying that we should have to save all suffering children if we can, since that would mean pretty much giving all our money to help children dying of starvation around the world. I find it hard to think that is a duty. I could be wrong/ selfish though. My actually thinking is more confused than the zero tensions I got suggests.

Do people like these tests? I think they are fun. Should I post others in other threads at some point? :)

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I also avoided saying that we should have to save all suffering children if we can, since that would mean pretty much giving all our money to help children dying of starvation around the world. I find it hard to think that is a duty. I could be wrong/ selfish though.

No, you are 100% correct.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not sure. It seems unfair that I can live better than a Princess (relative to the past) while some people starve.

Okay, then give all your money away to charity and live on a starvation diet.

I agree that there is a unfairness in that some people in the world don't have the same opportunities that you do in supporting themselves. I understand feeling empathy for people who are in need and having a desire to help them out -- there's nothing wrong about being generous towards the less fortunate -- but that's a far cry from having a duty to put their needs above yours, or even next to yours in some egalitarian fashion.

If you are "selfish", you are selfish in the good sense of the term. You earn the money you make through your own creative actions, money which you acquire through just means, and you are therefore morally entitled to that money. No one earned that money other than yourself. This is, I presume, what you would like those disadvantaged people in the world to be able to do for themselves.

Yes, there are many problems in the world and many opportunities for humanitarian action, and you may use your judgment about how much of your money you can to give in acts of generosity. But generosity doesn't mean "duty". It means giving something to which you are entitled, but for a value that you care enough about to support. If you owe it to anyone, you owe it to yourself to be generous, and that means generosity in moderation.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Okay, then give all your money away to charity and live on a starvation diet.

I didn't say I wanted to, or had the strength of will to do that.

I agree that there is a unfairness in that some people in the world don't have the same opportunities that you do in supporting themselves. I understand feeling empathy for people who are in need and having a desire to help them out -- there's nothing wrong about being generous towards the less fortunate -- but that's a far cry from having a duty to put their needs above yours, or even next to yours in some egalitarian fashion.

I'm not sure if it is a duty or not. I might make a thread soon with more about this.

If you are "selfish", you are selfish in the good sense of the term. You earn the money you make through your own creative actions, money which you acquire through just means, and you are therefore morally entitled to that money. No one earned that money other than yourself. This is, I presume, what you would like those disadvantaged people in the world to be able to do for themselves.

I don't believe I do earn it. How much people are paid is pretty random. Jobs I could do in the UK and probably paid more than those who do the same job in a developing country. The same job is done, yet pay is different. In a culture one type of entertainment could be better paid than another, but in a different culture it could be reversed.

If I earn alot of money I am lucky. Hard work goes into it, but I think alot of it is luck.

Yes, there are many problems in the world and many opportunities for humanitarian action, and you may use your judgment about how much of your money you can to give in acts of generosity. But generosity doesn't mean "duty". It means giving something to which you are entitled, but for a value that you care enough about to support. If you owe it to anyone, you owe it to yourself to be generous, and that means generosity in moderation.

What counts as moderation?

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
How consistent are your beliefs?

Take this "Philosophical Health Check" and see if it finds any tensions in your beliefs:

Philosophical Health Check

Not to brag (I'm gunna brag) I, along with 4% of people, got zero tensions as a result of this test. Though I think I may have done it a few years ago and had a few tensions. Hopefully I have just become more consistent. :p

There are also lots of other fun tests on that site. How do you do? :)

Well, I can't say that it was 'fun', but I did try it. The questions were, at times, painfully loaded. But, I did it just for you. :)

I ended up with three 'tensions':

I said I would take my car when a train/bus was available. Now, in my city, the transit system is designed to transport people between downtown and the suburbs at peak times. That's pretty much it. I now work from a home office, so I only drive several thousand kilometers per year down from 30K-40K in my previous job. A 20 minute drive to another suburb becomes a 2.5 hour bus and train ride - each way. If they want to get after me for using my older but well-maintained LEV-classified personal mode of transportation a few times per month, so be it.

I agreed that the holocaust was evil. How can I say that if I don't have objective standards blah blah. Well, in the absence of them defining evil as part of the question, I used human wellness as a factor. That would make it evil. What would you answer if you conformed to one of those religions where anything is permissible as long as you believe in the central deity?

Then they tried to get me on the wordplay about Michelangelo being indisputably one of the finest artists ever...; how can I say that is indisputable if I don't believe in absolutes? 1) it is just my opinion; 2) how would one dispute such a thing? 3) their own wording "one of the finest" undercuts their own position, in failing to establish the size of the set they are eluding to. If they had said "top ten" or "top 100" they might have had a point of their hands.

But, it seems they have come up empty.

In the end, it seems like a distillation of the various tactics Elio is trying out in this forum, just in a less entertaining fashion. :)

Upvote 0