Pensacola Christian College Cancels Concert by Grammy-Award Winning The King's Singers Because One of the Members is Gay

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

The King's Singers says Christian college axed gig over sexuality

The King's Singers, founded in Cambridge, UK, said it was given just two hours' notice of Pensacola Christian College's (PCC) decision to axe the gig last Saturday.

PCC said a performer "maintained a lifestyle that contradicts Scripture".

The group has performed at the college in the past.

Per Wiki:

The King's Singers are a British a cappella vocal ensemble founded in 1968. They are named after King's College in Cambridge, England, where the group was formed by six choral scholars. In the United Kingdom, their popularity peaked in the 1970s and early 1980s. Thereafter they began to reach a wider American audience, appearing frequently on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson in the United States. In 1987, they were prominently featured as guests on the Emmy Award-winning ABC television special Julie Andrews: The Sound of Christmas.

I know them primarily for classical, Renaissance, religious and English songs.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The shocking thing here is that, in a 6-person male a capella group, only one of them is gay.

ETA: I suppose the gay dudes are probably doing musical theater.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
We ALL know there is only one sin (maybe two sins) that matter to Evangelical christians in America.

Literally, nothing else seems to matter.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We ALL know there is only one sin (maybe two sins) that matter to Evangelical christians in America.

What's the other one? Not being Republican? = P

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The esteemed College couldn’t “come out” and say it, using instead weasel-words to dance around the issue; bonus points for trying to claim that the “highly talented musicians were treated with dignity and respect” as they were fired.
This tweet was written by a lawyer, I have no doubt.

Attachments

• 6A3145D2-0C72-436E-92BE-FC6791BA4694.png
    6A3145D2-0C72-436E-92BE-FC6791BA4694.png
    987.2 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Literally, nothing else seems to matter.
"Being non-heterosexual" and "being non-cisgender" are at least two. And then there's of course that whole "having sex while female" thing.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am confused why post this? Well praise God that some schools are sticking to what they believe "The college defended its "sincerely held beliefs". "The college cannot knowingly give an implied or direct endorsement of anything that violates Holy Scripture, the foundation for our sincerely held beliefs," the school said in a statement."

How ironic this story vs others that some have no problem with since within that story some shared told us they had ever right to do this.

Fact you still need Jesus.. its why He drew you here to this Christian site.. how awesome God is.. no matter what He loves you.

His love is deeper than the ocean floor
Run to His arms like an open door
God the Father sent the Son
So men can come and be free and ain't gotta run no more (that's what He said)
Come to me all who are weary
With heavy burdens, I'll give you rest
Separated you from your sin
As far as the east is from the west (He said)
Thrown in the sea of forgetfulness
What sin, what offense
And when them waves come crashing in
I'll calm the winds in your defense (that's what He said)
So whatever it is that you've done
He put that punishment on His Son (His Son)
You'll never come under His condemnation conquer sin and Satan and his accusations
So dry your eyes, lift up your head
Hallelujah, God is not dead (Amen)
Plus He gave us His peace (His peace)
And He took our guilt on the cross instead
Took our place and now we embrace
A clean slate with the eyes of faith
We know unfailing love
Unfailing love it's not too late to start over

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,533.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I just find it interesting how badly some things get missed. I wonder if one of the members was a practicing adulterer if they would have cancelled them. Or maybe a practicing thief. Would you hey have cancelled them then? I guess we just don't know for sure, but I would think so.

Does anyone really understand the idea of repentance anymore? It's supposed to be this.

That once we were sinners, but we rented if our sin and no longer live a life of practicing it because we recognize the wrongfulness of it and strive to live a life of righteousness in Christ.

Did that happen with that member of the team? Did they repent of their sin and are they now trying to live a life for Christ, forgetting what lay in the past?

I don't know enough of the story to say. But it seems here we have a deep misunderstanding going on in that Christian only care about one sin.

I've known Christians who were removed from pastoral office for sinning. I've known sinners who were drug addicts, drunkards and adulterers who became pastors and great men of God after repenting of their sin and receiving God's forgiveness and who lived lives of rightness afterwards.

It's all about what are they doing and how are they living right now and where their heart is. Is it in repentance or is it in rebellion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am confused why post this? Well praise God that some schools are sticking to what they believe "The college defended its "sincerely held beliefs". "The college cannot knowingly give an implied or direct endorsement of anything that violates Holy Scripture, the foundation for our sincerely held beliefs," the school said in a statement."

Follow-up questions:

1) what is the the book/doctrine they're deriving these sincerely held beliefs from?

2) are they following the other rules laid out by said book with the same fervor?

3) if not, what is their reasoning for taking some verses super seriously, while taking a more blasé approach to the others?

For instance: if an institution wanted to take a hard line on homosexuality based on a few verses in the bible, but didn't take the same line on something like gluttony (also mentioned and equated with idolatry in bible), what would be their justification in such disparate responses to the two equally problematic sins? IE: would this institution be firing musical acts if one of the members was 300lbs and liked to over eat?

...I'd like to think such a prestigious insitution wouldn't be making these types of decisions on something as superficial as "ewwww...gay stuff", so I'm assuming they must have a super compelling and irrefutable reason for taking one sin much more seriously than the others...otherwise they'd look like a bunch of petty, hypocritical, superficial hacks who are doing this for political reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Just for the record, this is the quality of artistry that this college preferred to withhold from their student body.

Gay or not, these skills are God given and human trained. There's no reason not to celebration skill, artistry and beauty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Fact you still need Jesus.. its why He drew you here to this Christian site.. how awesome God is.. no matter what He loves you.
I originally came here to get the religious-right’s reaction to McCain choosing Sarah Palin as a running-mate…some time ago.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do they stop using all sinners or just gay sinners?
This is close to what I was thinking. Specifically, would they do the same if it was known that a band member was shacked-up with his girlfriend?

• Love
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just for the record, this is the quality of artistry that this college preferred to withhold from their student body.

Gay or not, these skills are God given and human trained. There's no reason not to celebration skill, artistry and beauty.
I know of a preacher who observed some Gospel singers, during a break at a Gospel sing, "enjoying the company" as it were of women who weren't their wives. They might have been excellent singers, but their behavior didn't reflect well on the church where they sang.

The issue for any Christian is should they put themselves in a position where it looks like it condones sin? There are many musical artists who's skill I admire, but wouldn't think it was proper for them to put on a performance in church or at a church affiliated organization. At one time, many popular musicians got their start singing in church, so that's not as far-fetched as you might think.

Upvote 0