Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
As a new Catholic I'm wondering what a Pennance Service is all about; what it's for, what happens, etc.

This will be my first time at such a service, so I'm looking for all the info that i can get before going next Sunday evening. Thanks for your help.:)

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,285,484.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As I understand it - and it doesn't happen in our tradition , a communal penance service is where the whole congregation comes together - to listen to some readings - chosen to enable the faithful to think about their sins , be guided in an examination of conscience and then make their confession.

Usually there are a good number of priests - these services are held in different Churches on various dates so that there can be many priests present - to allow for many people to make their confession.

Confession must be individual - in Confessionals , in quiet areas of the Church , at the Altar Rails. Absolution is also individual . Frequently the Act of Contrition is Communal.

Hope this helps ;)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
As I understand it - and it doesn't happen in our tradition , a communal penance service is where the whole congregation comes together - to listen to some readings - chosen to enable the faithful to think about their sins , be guided in an examination of conscience and then make their confession.

Usually there are a good number of priests - these services are held in different Churches on various dates so that there can be many priests present - to allow for many people to make their confession.

Confession must be individual - in Confessionals , in quiet areas of the Church , at the Altar Rails. Absolution is also individual . Frequently the Act of Contrition is Communal.

Hope this helps ;)
it does indeed! thanks very much.

Upvote 0