Pastor vs. minister

Today at 07:19 AM speechless said this in Post #1 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=674508#post674508)

Are there any differences between pastors in ministers in terms of conduct or doctrine? Or are they two different titles that lead to the same thing.

I think it mainly depends on the denomination.

However, it is unclear whether the modern conception of either is biblical. Too often the position of pastor or minister carries with it the conception of exclusiveness - "I AM IN CHARGE HERE AND IF YOU DISAGREE, GET OUT"!

In this respect, pastors seem to act with a greater degree of autocracy than ministers. The modern pastor is usually unaccoutable to anyone and acts without elders. A minister is often accountable to the church elders.

However, one gets the impression that any presuming pastor or minister claiming exclusiveness in the Corinthian church would have been kicked out by the congregation. And they would also be kicked out of the Brethren denomination as well.

Upvote 0

Big Mouth Nana

Post Tribulationist
Sep 9, 2003
Bakersfield,California
Visit site
✟15,590.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
speechless said:
Are there any differences between pastors in ministers in terms of conduct or doctrine? Or are they two different titles that lead to the same thing.

April
I would think that the Apostle Paul was more of a minister, as well as a teacher. He ad- ministerd the gospel. Pastor is more of in a local church setting. One who feeds the flock. As far as "conduct", not real sure what you mean by this. They both teach basically the same thing, depending on what denomination they are.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
speechless said:

April
Hi there!

:wave:

As someone already told you, there can be variances in denominations....

Pastors lead the flock, ministers minister to the needs. One may be either one or both at the same time. Depends on what they are doing at the moment.

~malaka~

Upvote 0

VigoMedic

Seeker
Oct 19, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Anglican
I agree that it really does depend on the denomination; a title is nothing more than a title, and for the most part, they all have very similar responsibilities. However, the pastor, priest, or minister must remember as leader of the congregation they are the "lead servant." Because, regardless of our position in the church, we are all still servants of God. It is when the priest does not have that attitude of servitude that I think they are dangerous.

Peace.

Upvote 0