Victorville, California, CorpUSA
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Partakers of Christ's Nature
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 2 Peter 1: 4.

What beauty of character shone forth in the daily life of Christ! He is to be our pattern. There is a great work to be done in fashioning the character after the divine similitude. The grace of Christ must mold the entire being, and its triumph will not be complete until the heavenly universe shall witness habitual tenderness of feeling, Christlike love, and holy deeds in the deportment of the children of God.

Each person must obtain an experience for himself. No one can depend for salvation on the experience or practice of any other man. We must each become acquainted with Christ in order properly to represent Him to the world. "His divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue" (2 Peter 1: 3). None of us need excuse our hasty temper, our misshapen characters, our selfishness, envy, jealousy, or any impurity of soul, body, or spirit. . . .

We must learn of Christ. We must know what He is to those He has ransomed. We must realize that through belief in Him it is our privilege to be partakers of the divine nature, and so escape the corruption that is in the world through lust. Then we are cleansed from all sin, all defects of character. We need not retain one sinful propensity. . . .

As we partake of the divine nature, hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong are cut away from the character, and we are made a living power for good. Ever learning of the divine Teacher, daily partaking of His nature, we cooperate with God in overcoming Satan's temptations. God works, and man works, that man may be one with Christ as Christ is one with God. Then we sit together with Christ in heavenly places. The mind rests with peace and assurance in Jesus. . . . In Him there is inexhaustible fullness. . . .
God has given us every facility, every grace. He has provided the riches of heaven's treasure, and it is our privilege to draw continually from this capital.

God's Amazing Grace

By Ellen G. White

Reactions: Stryder06

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, I notice several threads started here which are quotes from books. This is another one apparently. Just curious about the purpose here. Are we being asked to comment on the articles, or debate them, or just read them, or what? How about just posting the links for those who want to read them? Or is this series of OPs intended as an introduction to the author of the articles? Generally speaking, if the purpose is to present this article and others for discussion or debate, it would be nice to have some Scripture passages, which those of us who are interested could look up.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, I notice several threads started here which are quotes from books. This is another one apparently.

You are very perceptive!

Just curious about the purpose here. Are we being asked to comment on the articles, or debate them, or just read them, or what?

Do what you wish. This is a forum and thus if you would like to read the quotes and make a comment then be my guest.

How about just posting the links for those who want to read them?

Is there anything wrong in posting these particular vignettes regarding Jesus Christ?

Or is this series of OPs intended as an introduction to the author of the articles?

Hmmmm, could be.

Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I did not intend to comment about whether or not the articles are appropriate here. I was curious about the purpose? From my point of view, it would be nice to be able to look up some Scripture passages, but basically I was just curious as to what is going on.

Upvote 0

ticker

...at your service!
Jun 10, 2007
The Kingdom...kinda...
✟20,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm, I notice several threads started here which are quotes from books. This is another one apparently. Just curious about the purpose here. Are we being asked to comment on the articles, or debate them, or just read them, or what? How about just posting the links for those who want to read them? Or is this series of OPs intended as an introduction to the author of the articles? Generally speaking, if the purpose is to present this article and others for discussion or debate, it would be nice to have some Scripture passages, which those of us who are interested could look up.

Dave
Yeah...confused as well. Especially about the content.

Entering into Christ's rest?....Partakers of Christ's nature?....yet numerous requirements are being placed on the believer within these (....when really, it's just about trusting that because we are one with Christ, these are things we can simply recieve instead of having to strive for or bring about ourselves).

I think the author's a little off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RND

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2006
Visit site
✟23,772.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
...a reading dog????

I'm not a dog and the picture you see a picture of my wife's dog - a mini-pin named Bella. Of course, if you notice I'm a male, 47 years-old and living in the Roman corporate state of CALIFORNIA.

I have to say your attempted humor was unnecessary. I noticed you changed your original "I didn't knoe do'g could read" to this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ticker

...at your service!
Jun 10, 2007
The Kingdom...kinda...
✟20,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a dog and the picture you see a picture of my wife's dog - a mini-pin named Bella. Of course, if you notice I'm a male, 47 years-old and living in the Roman corporate state of CALIFORNIA.

????? What?

I know you're not actually a dog and that the picture isn't you. It was a joke! ^_^

C'mon!!!

I have to say your attempted humor was unnecessary.
I disagree. I think this place needs more humour and could use some more levity....and I get tons of reps for my humour too.

I noticed you changed your original "I didn't knoe do'g could read" to this.
Yes....I did. And.....?

I just thought wording it differently sounded funnier...that's all.

Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C

Cross Reference

Dave

There are two verses cited. The rest is commentary for which one will either agree or not. Where do you stand?

Make no mistake about it, Ellen White can be debated however, in this one one might find himself simply picking fly dirt out of pepper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
????? What?

I know you're not actually a dog and that the picture isn't you. It was a joke! ^_^

C'mon!!!

I disagree. I think this place needs more humour and could use some more levity....and I get tons of reps for my humour too.

Yes....I did. And.....?

I just thought wording it differently sounded funnier...that's all.

Peace
I thought it was funny

RND
I like the picture of your wife's dog

Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A thread on sharing the nature of Christ and it only took one post to show that because you read a book about the nature of Christ does not mean one has the very nature of Christ. For the very nature of Christ is to not be easly offended. The fruit of the Spirit is the very nature of Christ. :)

Good point! And something I too have noticed. It is I suppose fine to post nice comments about sharing the nature of Christ. But how is it demonstrated? 'By their fruits you will know them.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There are two verses cited. The rest is commentary for which one will either agree or not. Where do you stand?

All of these quotes sound fine, without a doubt. Very Wesleyan IMO. But that isn't a bad thing, my own understanding re Soteriology is Wesleyan, so am okay with it lol.

Upvote 0
C

Cross Reference

All of these quotes sound fine, without a doubt. Very Wesleyan IMO. But that isn't a bad thing, my own understanding re Soteriology is Wesleyan, so am okay with it lol.

Yes, me as well. However, Ellen White is SDA. Her writings require a good understanding of the bible for agreement as well as any other whose commentary is is looked upon-revered as, "The Gospel". ;)

Upvote 0

ticker

...at your service!
Jun 10, 2007
The Kingdom...kinda...
✟20,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A thread on sharing the nature of Christ and it only took one post to show that because you read a book about the nature of Christ does not mean one has the very nature of Christ. For the very nature of Christ is to not be easly offended. The fruit of the Spirit is the very nature of Christ. :)
I think we all have the nature of Christ, but maybe don't always exhibit it (....probably what you meant?). But as I said earlier, if our minds are bent on thinking we have to do something in order to reap the benfefits of that, then that'll be our downfall. The moment Law comes into play into a Christian's life, is the moment (...as the Bible tells us) sin is aroused (...and, as a result, fruit is lost).

God doesn't want us to perfrom, He wants us to recieve (...and any "performance" we might do will come out of that resting and trusting in His love for us that we experience). I'm not sure the author gets this.

Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ticker

...at your service!
Jun 10, 2007
The Kingdom...kinda...
✟20,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, Ellen White is SDA.
??? :tutu:

How in the world can one be SDA and be preaching resting in Christ/partaking in the divine nature? :confused:

Thinking you have to observe the Sabbath is resting in Christ??? (...the One who IS our Sabbath)???

Amazing how confused some Christians can get.....the gospel staring them right in the face, yet without revelation, they still see it with the Adam-ingrained, law-tinted glasses they've become accustomed to. ;)

Here's praying...

Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.