Parents! Stop SIECUS and the NEA From Taking Control Of Your Children's Sex Education

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.drlaura.com/action/index.html?mode=view&tile=1&id=5675

Subject: Parents! Stop SIECUS and the NEA From Taking Control Of Your Children's Sex Education!
Date: 2003-10-09

Sex Advocates Join With Teachers Union To Take Control From Parents
Abstinence Clearinghouse Press Release
www.abstinence.net
October 8, 2003

The most vocal advocates sex education are teaming up with the nation’s largest teachers’ union to urge congress to take control of children’s sex education from parents.

The Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS) and the National Education Association (NEA) are teaming up once again to advocate for explicit sex education.

SIECUS publishes guidelines for sex education that call for children ages 5 through 8 to be taught about self touch and arousal (pages 29-30), ages 9 through 12 to be taught different ways to seek sexual pleasure other than intercourse (page31), and ages 16 through 18 to be taught about exotic fantasies enhanced by inappropriate contentographic literature (page 32). The Health Information Network of the NEA has signed their support for these guidelines.

"SIECUS and the NEA say they want parents to be involved, but looking at the facts, it just does not ring true," said Leslee Unruh, president of the Abstinence Clearinghouse. The Abstinence Clearinghouse is an international nonprofit organization that promotes abstinence education and parents as the primary sex educators of their children.

"The NEA and SIECUS were both supportive of a SB71 in California, which was signed last week. That bill took authority away from parents and gave teachers the power to talk explicitly about sex to children of all ages. Parents do not support the messages that SIECUS and the NEA want to force on to their kids," said Unruh, referring to a Zogby survey comparing sex and abstinence education, released in February. When read direct quotes from the SIECUS "Guidelines on Comprehensive Sex Education," the Zogby survey found disapproval rates for the guidelines, with some statements garnering disapproval rates of more than seven in ten parents. The same study showed overwhelming approval (4.5 to 1) for the concepts taught in abstinence education.

"For SIECUS and the NEA to attempt to push parents into giving messages to children that the parents are clearly not supportive of is unconscionable," said Unruh. "Parents do need to talk with their children, but not about SIECUS-style sex. They need to demonstrate love and healthy relationships so that their children can mature into adults that can sustain healthy, lifelong marriages."

"The parent is the advocate of their child," explained Judy Gilliam, a 30-year veteran educator and assistant principal in Fort Wright, Kentucky. "I think we should teach respect for each other and respect for our bodies. I feel it is a parent’s right to be the primary educator of their child. They have the right to say what should and should not be taught, especially in sex education. The parent knows the child better than any teacher."

The Abstinence Clearinghouse is the largest nonprofit organization dealing with abstinence education and advocacy. The Abstinence Clearinghouse assists educators, medical professionals, parents and youth serving organizations to effectively educate adolescents and unmarried adults on the communication skills, relationship information and factual knowledge necessary to make a commitment to abstain from sexual activity outside of marriage. More information is available at www.abstinence.net.

Here’s What You Can Do:
Contact NEA, SIECUS and your Congressmen. Tell them to keep these guidelines away from our public schools and our children.

Tamara Kreinin
President and CEO
SIECUS NY Office
130 West 42nd Street, Suite 350
New York, NY 10036-7802
Phone: 212/819-9770
Fax: 212/819-9776 Reg Weaver
President
NEA
1201 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036-3290

To locate your local U.S. Representative and email a letter, click here.
To write your local U.S. Senator click here.

• Check with your school before the beginning of the year and see what type of sex education they teach. Do not allow your child to attend any radical, SIECUS-style sex education classes.
  • Be your child’s primary sex educator.
  • Work to get an opt-in policy for sex education, not an opt-out policy. (For opt-in, parents must sign permission slips before the child can attend – like an off campus field trip. With opt-out, parental permission is assumed.)
  • Contact the local pro-life pregnancy care center or abstinence program to have them present parent education nights before any sex or abstinence education classes. The Abstinence Clearinghouse can help you identify groups in you area – www.abstinence.net.

M

Mimi

Good sex education is important and should start at a young age......very young age. Good sex education makes it possible to do the wise thing with sex. It is no wonder that the Netherlands have the lowest rate of abortions (teen abortions) in Europe. If you want to lower abortion/std's you have to give sex education. Talk openly about sex makes it less provoking for teens to try it and to get in trouble. Also when very young children learn what is right and wrong and how their bodies work, they can ring the bell when someone tries to abuse them. Openess from parens and teachers helps the children to talk open and honestly about their sexuality and needs....

Trus me on this one...I gave sex education at highschools.....Teens are walking hormones!

Reactions: pmcleanj
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
It took some time, but I managed to navigate my way through several different sites, regarding STD's, teens & sex. I agree with what Mimi said to a certain extent. It indeed DOES take a village to raise a child; in this fast-paced, too-eager-to-make-a-buck society, one has to wonder what it is like for the children who HAVE no loving, concerned parent to come home to; no one who will cook them dinner, let alone answer their questions about sex. The topic of sex should never be a taboo b/t parents and children, as it is a natural gift from God (that, yes, IS intended to be shared b/t husband and wife). In regard to sex education, I will agree that not only sex but HEALTH education is not what is should nor could be in my state. As I recall, health class was for half a semester, sex eduation lasted about a week. There was not much in-depth talk either; it was mostly 'here's what herpes looks like when left untreated' and that's pretty much it. True, if you simply hand kids statistics they may just fall asleep under your nose and remember nothing. Truth is, there IS NO 'perfect' program and there never will be one. The best we can do is to give our children (this country's children..I have no kids) what they deserve: love, truth, support and guidance. As I stated earlier, not every child has that at home. And it is our job as a community to provide for those who 'have not.' Education leads to knowledge; kids NEED to know what is going on in their environment. Conversely, there ARE things that are inappropriate to share with children, depending on age. The things mentioned (in regard to what was supposedly 'age-appropriate' ~i.e. on laura's website~in the original post were atrocious, to say the least. However, when I went directly to the SIECUS and NEA sites (as I'd much rather hear things 'from the horse's mouth'), I found nothing stating those things. In fact, on NEA's site, they actually offered information on how to talk to one's children about sex. Whatever the case, children need adequate health (including sex) education, in order to make informative decisions. Self-esteem is a HUGE issue and I just wish it would be percieved as just as important as one's grade on their mile run in gym class. btw, going to abstinence.net linked me up, but I found little information there. disturbing, is that abstinence.com led me right to links for abortion clinics :scratch:

Reactions: pmcleanj
Upvote 0
N

Nater_Tater

SIECUS publishes guidelines for sex education that call for children ages 5 through 8 to be taught about self touch and arousal (pages 29-30), ages 9 through 12 to be taught different ways to seek sexual pleasure other than intercourse (page31), and ages 16 through 18 to be taught about exotic fantasies enhanced by inappropriate contentographic literature (page 32).

Back in my day, we would get a detention for talking about masturbation in school, now they are going to TEACH IT?!
Early exposer to sex is NOT good for children, I don't care WHAT they claim the benefits are going to be....oh well
::Grabs some popcorn and gets ready to watch the world go to hell in a hand basket::

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
modedit.gif

Upvote 0

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Mimi said:
Good sex education is important and should start at a young age......very young age. Good sex education makes it possible to do the wise thing with sex. It is no wonder that the Netherlands have the lowest rate of abortions (teen abortions) in Europe. If you want to lower abortion/std's you have to give sex education. Talk openly about sex makes it less provoking for teens to try it and to get in trouble. Also when very young children learn what is right and wrong and how their bodies work, they can ring the bell when someone tries to abuse them. Openess from parens and teachers helps the children to talk open and honestly about their sexuality and needs....

Trus me on this one...I gave sex education at highschools.....Teens are walking hormones!
Sex ed belongs in the home. The reason abortion is so low is that the immoral teens are using birth control. That is just as much a sin as murder or abortion. The Bible condemns sex outside of marriage.

Are you as a high school sex ed teacher able to say "Don't have sex until you are married" and "Never have sex outside of marriage"? If not, then you are in the wrong business, aren't you? That is why sex ed belongs in the home.

If you teach kids to have so-called "safe sex" before marriage, then you contribute to their sin, and will have to answer to Jesus Christ in judgement day for harming them. Don't do that please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sharp

Jul 23, 2004
✟1,271.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Nater_Tater said:
Back in my day, we would get a detention for talking about masturbation in school, now they are going to TEACH IT?!
Early exposer to sex is NOT good for children, I don't care WHAT they claim the benefits are going to be....oh well
::Grabs some popcorn and gets ready to watch the world go to hell in a hand basket::

This is a good reason not to support any church in the <self-censored>. They don't know good from evil. The Bible says that in the latter days (now perhaps) evil men will get worse and worse and call good 'evil' and call what is evil 'good'. Sex values are but one example.

If your church teaches sex values that are against the clear teaching of God's Word, then you don't belong there. Get out. Join a Bible-believing ministry instead. Your children will thank you for it many years later.

Upvote 0

Treasure the Questions

Jun 9, 2004
✟1,704.00
Faith
Christian
I think schools and parents alike should teach that masturbation is normal and will not make you mad, blind or get you sent to hell. It is wrong to use scare tactics and make kids feel guilty about normal bodily functions.

I think great emphasis should be put on keeping sex for marriage, without using scare tactics, but letting kids know about all the dangers and problems that can ensue from pre-marital sex. However, kids should also be taught how to have safe sex and how to limit the risks of STDs and pregnancy.

When attempting to pass on our ideals, we must also be honest and realistic.

After that, as parents, we must hold our breath and pray, and be there ready to show unconditional love if our little ones go astray.

I understand that kids who know they are valued and loved are less likely to experiment with sex when they are immature, so it is as important to give out such messages as it is to give moral guidance.

This strikes me as slander. I wonder why no moderator has removed this statement:
Sharp said:
This is a good reason not to support any church in the liberal National Council of Churches. They don't know good from evil.

Karin

Upvote 0