Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The mother's daughter was friends with the young woman for a long time, she went over to her house, its a fair assumption that the mother knew.
Perhaps, perhaps not.

My parents certainly didn't know everything I knew about my friends, especially things that might be an embarassment.

Still, with reasonable doubt cast that the mother may not have known, aren't we being a little hasty to call for a conviction?

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

Perhaps, perhaps not.

My parents certainly didn't know everything I knew about my friends, especially things that might be an embarassment.

Still, with reasonable doubt cast that the mother may not have known, aren't we being a little hasty to call for a conviction?
I dont see why. If someone harasses someone to the point where they kill themselves, I fail to see why charges should not be brought at that point

Upvote 0
N

NavyGuy7

I don't think it matters if the mother knew or not. What matters is that it was reckless behavior on the part of an adult to manipulate the feelings of a minor -- that part is not in dispute -- and it lead to the girl's death.

I agree. They should have known better. Some teenagers--- especially female teenagers--- can be crushed emotionally fairly easily by something like this.

But despite this, it was horribly cruel and highly irresponsible of the "mother/daughter" team that played that prank on the girl. You just don't do something like that. It's stupid and immature at best.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This one point alone.
It may be rotten, horrible thing to do, but I don't know of any law on the books that makes this a criminal act.

To my knowledge, it isn't. They might be able to get these people on a charge of harassment or stalking, but that's about it.

If I go up to handicapped person and say "hahaha, you can't walk and I can!!!" and the person then commits suicide, I might be a scummy person, but I'm not responsible for his actions.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I go up to handicapped person and say "hahaha, you can't walk and I can!!!" and the person then commits suicide, I might be a scummy person, but I'm not responsible for his actions.

Yeah, but I'd argue that if you knew the person was depressed your actions could fall under criminal negligence as there was absolutely no reason for you to say such a thing and you knew the person was unstable. Which I think is the biggest question in this case; was the mother who did this aware of the girls mental problems?

Upvote 0

Stormy

Senior Contributor
Jun 16, 2002
St. Louis, Mo
Visit site
✟51,954.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
It isn't a lack of compassion, I don't think someone should spend the next 10 years in prison for hurting someones feelings....

While cruel, it probably never crossed the meany face's minds that the girl would kill herself.

I agree with you. We can't be arresting people for a death because of words that were said. If we do, then any of us could be found guilty of "killing" someone just by having an argument with them. Is there anyone here who has not said words that were harsh and maybe they even regretted them later?

After reading the story it appears to me, a share in the blame for her death belongs to her own parents. They allowed an emotionally ill child to make a my-space page, talk with a stranger, and even seemed to encourage the relationship.

When the child killed herself it was after a quarrel with her parents. (read the article) She went to the bathroom and hung herself while they were home? That is how I read it!

IMO The parents probably have feelings of quilt and are lashing out at others.. rather them accepting their own part in this tragedy. They have divorced.

If we are to learn anything from this girls death it should be .. Parents know where your child is and what they are doing. Talk to your kids, and most of all.. listen to them.

Perhaps this death could have been prevented with a hug and a gentle conversation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, but I'd argue that if you knew the person was depressed your actions could fall under criminal negligence as there was absolutely no reason for you to say such a thing and you knew the person was unstable. Which I think is the biggest question in this case; was the mother who did this aware of the girls mental problems?

They might have been aware that the girl was taking antidepressants (pretty common these days) but I don't know that they would necessarily have known more than this, for privacy reasons.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

They might have been aware that the girl was taking antidepressants (pretty common these days) but I don't know that they would necessarily have known more than this, for privacy reasons.
If a person is on anti-depressants and the mother knew that, then she should have realized that the young girl had problems with depression and not gone through with her plan.

The mother knew, either she knew from her daughter or from "Josh" that the young girl was depressed. Its next to impossible that she couldn't have known and she went forward with harassing her anyways. She probably didn't mean to make the girl commit suicide, but she intentionally harassed the girl when she had full knowledge that she was extremely depressed and probably knew she was contemplating suicide. This girl told "Josh" pretty much everything so I dont see how its possible that the mother didnt know.

She knew about the girl's problems and harassed her anyways which resulted in the girl's judgment being impaired from extreme emotional distress wherein she chose to kill herself, something she probably wouldn't have done had the woman NOT done what she did. Theres enough here for a manslaughter charge, or AT LEAST a criminal negligence charge.

Upvote 0