Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Both categories of books are inspired by God but their is a gradation in their ranking. In Church the gospels hold the first place where the gospel book is ornate and is venerated and kissed. Its the golden enameled gospel book not the epistles which are placed next to the epitaphios on Great Friday to be venerated and kissed. In icons of the saints or Christ it is the gospel book the gospel book that the holy person is depicted as holding not neccesarily the 'bible'. So there exists within the Church even a gradation between the officially read books.

Any peasant church goer realizes that the four gospels rank higher in the Orthodox Church than the epistles. It is the wise who has forgotten this because the wise educated person is accustomed to open to a table of contents in their bible instead of exclusively listening to it in Church as was the traditional approach. The illiterate village yiayia and babushka realize this more clearly by how the gospel is brought out of the altar and read by the priest while surrounded by altar boys, on the otherhand the epistles and Acts is read by the reader without the same fanfare. The Books which are worthy to be read does not mean they are not divinely inspired only that they dont hold the same degree of status.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is the wise who has forgotten this because the wise educated person is accustomed to open to a table of contents in their bible...

Haha, I wrote almost this exact sentence in a paper I wrote for my finals this semester.

This thread has been exactly what I've heard in Seminary, which is nice confirmation that I'm learning Orthodox teaching and not the professor's perspective.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Both categories of books are inspired by God but their is a gradation in their ranking. In Church the gospels hold the first place where the gospel book is ornate and is venerated and kissed. Its the golden enameled gospel book not the epistles which are placed next to the epitaphios on Great Friday to be venerated and kissed. In icons of the saints or Christ it is the gospel book the gospel book that the holy person is depicted as holding not neccesarily the 'bible'. So there exists within the Church even a gradation between the officially read books.

Any peasant church goer realizes that the four gospels rank higher in the Orthodox Church than the epistles. It is the wise who has forgotten this because the wise educated person is accustomed to open to a table of contents in their bible instead of exclusively listening to it in Church as was the traditional approach. The illiterate village yiayia and babushka realize this more clearly by how the gospel is brought out of the altar and read by the priest while surrounded by altar boys, on the otherhand the epistles and Acts is read by the reader without the same fanfare. The Books which are worthy to be read does not mean they are not divinely inspired only that they dont hold the same degree of status.

very well stated

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
i remember reading somewhere once that Revelation is appointed to be read in some kind of memorial service or something ... can't remember anything more than that

that is interesting, do you remember what part of Revelation?

Upvote 0