Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Your comparing apples and oranges here.. The USA is not one single nation state like the UK is. It's a republic made up of 50 individual states that make and enforce their own laws.

That's why in the state of Colorado you can recreationally use Marijuana and it can be purchased at the local corner store and the taxes from the sell of it go to the state.. However in Oklahoma you'll be arrested and prosecuted for even having marijuana at all.
Differing state laws aren't a problem for my comparison. Whether a state calls it burglary, or homebreaking or home invasion makes no difference, because they all legislate against it. This is why the FBI were able to count up a national total.

"The FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program defines burglary as the unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft. To classify an offense as a burglary, the use of force to gain entry need not have occurred. "

With gun laws and crimes you have to look at the individual states as well as cities.. In an area like where I live where the open carry of any type of gun or rifle is permitted and the sell of military style weapons is the norm by it's citizenry,, and "make my day" laws exist where we can legally shoot an intruder into our home with no questions asked.. There is very little crime and burglaries.
However when you go to places like Chicago that have very strict gun laws,, and homeowners don't even have guns let alone "make my day laws",, places likes this are filled with crime and burglary ..,, It's sad that there are a lot of these gun free pars of America that are having these crime issues,, and thus pushing the OVERALL per capita of crime in America to a higher rate.
That's the whole point of a per capita ratio. It's like an average, of all the good areas like yours, and all the bad areas like parts of Chicago, divided across the total population. This is exactly the same in the UK; near crime free rural areas, and high crime inner cities, averaged out across the population. The comparison remains valid.

But again for a fair comparison you would have to look at individual states, and states that have low crime because of loose gun laws.
You're misappropriating causality. Chicago's high crime is not the product of restrictions on gun ownership, nor is the low crime in your nice neighbourhood the product of absent regulations.

As for the hitler was killed with a gun statement.. You didn't get that I was playing fast and loose with that comment being most liberals think 'guns' kill people.. And the loose point of "see guns are good, hitler was taken out by a pistol"-- It wasn't a pro gun argument,, it was a comment using the logic of the left
Your satire must have escaped me.

Still hoping to see the source of the quote you attributed to a Japanese military advisor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

asherahSamaria

Oct 19, 2013
✟16,390.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Your comparing apples and oranges here.. The USA is not one single nation state like the UK is. It's a republic made up of 50 individual states that make and enforce their own laws.

That's why in the state of Colorado you can recreationally use Marijuana and it can be purchased at the local corner store and the taxes from the sell of it go to the state.. However in Oklahoma you'll be arrested and prosecuted for even having marijuana at all.

With gun laws and crimes you have to look at the individual states as well as cities.. In an area like where I live where the open carry of any type of gun or rifle is permitted and the sell of military style weapons is the norm by it's citizenry,, and "make my day" laws exist where we can legally shoot an intruder into our home with no questions asked.. There is very little crime and burglaries.
However when you go to places like Chicago that have very strict gun laws,, and homeowners don't even have guns let alone "make my day laws",, places likes this are filled with crime and burglary ..,, It's sad that there are a lot of these gun free pars of America that are having these crime issues,, and thus pushing the OVERALL per capita of crime in America to a higher rate.

But again for a fair comparison you would have to look at individual states, and states that have low crime because of loose gun laws.

As for the hitler was killed with a gun statement.. You didn't get that I was playing fast and loose with that comment being most liberals think 'guns' kill people.. And the loose point of "see guns are good, hitler was taken out by a pistol"-- It wasn't a pro gun argument,, it was a comment using the logic of the left

"The USA is not one single nation state like the UK is". The UK is actually 4 nations - the clue is in the name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) where Great Britain comprises England, Wales and Scotland.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,375.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Philip C

Sep 6, 2012
Sheffield UK
✟8,302.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Lol,, I didn't say hundreds of millions saved TODAY. The point was that 100s of millions over the last couple hundred years since the second amendment.

The population of USA was quite low prior to 1900s and a great percentage (if not the majority) of US citizens since independence are those alive today. If you claim that 100s of millions have been save by "gun wielding citizens" then that still leaves practically every other citizen in the US today. So your "facts" are clearly not true.

Your (SIC) ignorantly blind if you don't see that guns save lives! If your (SIC) in your home or business and someone breaks in ,, what do you and everyone else do, call someone that has a gun. But that's usually after the crime takes place,, if you had a gun yourself then the crime would likely not of taken place.

Well if you weren't so blind yourself you may have noticed that I'm actually in UK. The number shot dead here is only about 30-50 per year. Given the UK population is 60-65 million that means the risk of me being shot by anyone is so remotely small that I don't worry about the kind of scenario you describe. The fact that you are so concerned that you have to raise the question and arm yourself with a gun ought to tell you a little something.

That's also why states like where I live have the "make my day law"-- it's a law that if an intruder breaks into my home I have all the legal right to shoot him dead on the spot no questions asked.. That thwarts criminals from breaking in because they are afraid of being shot.

Well I just have good door and window locks and a reliable alarm system which does the same job without having to kill anyone.

As for the 2.5 million crimes prevented by gun owner citizens each year, you can google it yourself, or you can watch the commercial on Fox News that airs occassionally that states this fact.

I have Googled it thanks. The figure of 2.5 million is 30 years out of date and not considered reliable in the first place. To quote an article from Time magazine, "Even Paul Blackman, research coordinator for the NRA, concedes that the advertisement "stretches the data." He adds, "I don't know of any criminological study that has tried to quantify the number of lives saved based on the number of guns that were successfully used for protection."

Upvote 0