Visit site
✟29,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL I didn't notice the sleep positioner. That was one thing I SWORE I needed and have never used it. No, I take that back. I used it once, he hated it and it has been in his closet ever since...

Justin uses quite a few bibs if he is taking a bottle in public, but I seriously use the same 3-4 over and over and over. At home, we play "naked baby" and strip down to the diaper as much as possible hence showing little need for the sleepers I just knew I had to have.

I tried to use the mittens but Justin's little wrists were to small for them and they never stayed on...I found socks worked best! :D

We didn't buy a playpen for Justin because everyone I know used it....like Mrs. A2J said...for a hamper. We also never bought a changing table. Justin's room is small, leaving little room for any extras. I bought a $6.00 changing pad from Wal-Mart w/fishies on it with side storage compartments and with a flick of the wrist, I can change him anywhere. Truth be told, I change him more in his crib than what he sleeps in it.

Justin LOVES his mobile, he also loves the aquarium thingy. But he has been amazed by his mobile since the day he came home from the hospital. 13 weeks later, it is still his favorite thing to do.

One last note, we use regular laundry detergent for Justin's clothes. The other is so expensive and it is a waste if they don't really need it. You might try the regular before spending extra money on the other stuff.

Oh, and congratulations! :clap:

Upvote 0

ConservativeChristian97

I'm conservative, but in a loving way.
Oct 4, 2006
In the South
✟17,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We didn't buy a playpen for Justin because everyone I know used it....like Mrs. A2J said...for a hamper.
Yeah, the one we're getting is a bassinet, changing table, and a play pen. So at least part of it will be used for it's intended purpose. ;) You're definately right, I probably will seldom use the play pen. Unless I really need a shower and hubby's working late.
We also never bought a changing table. Justin's room is small, leaving little room for any extras. I bought a $6.00 changing pad from Wal-Mart w/fishies on it with side storage compartments and with a flick of the wrist, I can change him anywhere.
I have one of those! My best friend bought it for me. It's so cool!
Truth be told, I change him more in his crib than what he sleeps in it.
This is what my mom did with me, she said it was a whole lot easier.
Justin LOVES his mobile, he also loves the aquarium thingy. But he has been amazed by his mobile since the day he came home from the hospital. 13 weeks later, it is still his favorite thing to do. So it's worth the money? If he's as active after he's born as he is inside me, I'm gonna need something to get him to sleep. lol

One last note, we use regular laundry detergent for Justin's clothes. The other is so expensive and it is a waste if they don't really need it. You might try the regular before spending extra money on the other stuff.
:thumbsup: Sounds good.
Oh, and congratulations! :clap:
Thank you, everyone's insights have been very helpful! We need to save as much money as possible, we still need to buy furniture for ourselves once we get to MS. lol We only lived on our own for two months before we came to live with my mom and dad, so all of our furniture was improvised. Now, some of it doesn't work because I'm pregnant (like the deflating air mattress, lol).

Upvote 0

jessesgirl

Aspire to inspire before you expire
Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟29,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Justin sleeps swaddled up in a blanket, wearing nothing but a diaper. So we really don't need any kind of nightgown. We bought tons of them, only to give them away. Swaddled up is the ONLY way he will sleep, though.

Yeah, IMHO, the mobile is DEFINITELY worth it! Even now, he is laying in his crib, staring at it, kicking and talking and laughing at it. It has been so much fun to see him evolve from just staring at that weird thing above his bed to talking to the fish like he's known them all his life (well, I guess he has!!!!! LOL).

Anyway, whatever you do or don't have, you will end up finding that you need one thing more than you thought you did and wonder why you ever bought the other things...it really just depends on mommy and baby as to what keeps them happy! :D

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every baby is different..but my son LUke LOVVVVVVEEED his mobile and spent much time watching it over a period of 9 mos. He loved it from about 1 mos to about 10 mos old. but i know some babies who showed NO interest in their mobiles. soo..its hard to say whether its worth it or not.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

LOL! I feel like such a slacker parent :D My list was - a new sling (just because I wanted one- since it's my addiction LOL!), a bassinet/crib/ pack n' play thingy, diaper cream and a few outfits in each size LOL!! I needed to get out the lambswool, the little play gym, and some blankets and the swing--but I barely use the swing except when my hubby is at work for the other kids' bedtime.

I only want about about 5 onesies and a few outfits- since I do laundry everyday. I hate having too many clothes.

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'll do like MrsA2J :D

Baby monitor -- not necessary if you have a decently small house, you can definitely hear baby.... I do the monitor for when Maya is sleeping inside and David and I are playing in the backyard

Sleep positioner -- I never used one
(2) Travel mirrors -- I never used them
Breast pump -- NEED :thumbsup:
Breast cream -- Lanisoh Lanolin! NEED
Boppy nursing pillow -- I have a generic boppy with velcro in the back and it was useful for learning to breastfeed
(6-8) Bottles -- Don't need until breastfeeding is established, some babies won't then take a bottle, and many have a preference for what kind so best not to buy now
(8-12) Bibs -- don't need
Teethers -- don't need for months after birth, David would NEVER chew on those things so they were a waste entirely
Extra set of mittens -- extra!? I hate those mittens, they don't stay on anyway
Humidifier -- don't need
Rainforest Bassinet/Play yard combo -- are you planning to use it for the bassinet? otherwise I'd just get the cheap "play yard" although we only used it as a portable crib in reality ....
(2-3) Bassinet sheets -- well maybe one extra if you're using it....
Bassinet bedding -- :scratch: It takes special bedding?
Simplicity Nursery in a Box -- is that crib bedding? We have a set of crib bedding, it was a need for us!
(3) Crib mattress pads -- don't need
Vinyl mattress cover -- don't need -- isn't your crib mattress covered in plastic already ? mine is, so I cna just wipe it down directly if there's a leak
Hamper -- I always just throw my baby's laundry in with ours
(4-6) Fitted crib sheets -- 4 to 6!?!? I'd say 2 so you can wash one while the other is used
(4-6) Waterproof pads -- don't need
Changing table pad -- one came with our changing table
(2-4) Changing pad covers -- don't need, we just wipe down the pad
(2-4) Baskets or storage bins -- I didn't have any for David, i used the shelves on the changing table, I was given some when pregnant with Maya though.... they're cute anyway but I don't need them
Frames for first pictures -- People may give these to you, best to wait and see!
Announcements -- We got ours at winkflash.com for 23 cents a piece including envelopes.... not necessary, but I loved it!
(3-4) Sleeper sacks -- I do love these... I don't use blankets in the crib for safety reasons, so these are our blankets
(12-24) Clothes hangers -- :thumbsup:
Laundry detergent for infants -- charliesoap.com is as sensitive as Dreft for babies so I use that.... then after baby is here you can see if he can just use your detergent, most can
(10 per size) Cloth diapers -- well what kind are you using? 10 might be enough, you could start with ten and always add to it later if you need.... for smalls I have 11 Fuzzi Bunz and 12 prefolds with 4 bummi super whisper wraps ...
(6 per size) Diaper covers -- oh the bummi super whisper wraps are my cover.... if you're planning to use prefolds you may as well get 24, even if washing daily its nice to have them for burp cloths and prefolds soak faster and need to be changed more often IMO
(3) Diaper fasteners -- I have 2 snappis.... really you only need one, but I have another one in case the first one breaks
Trash can with lid for dirty diapers -- sure
Onesies -- do you have other clothes? I notice this is the first mention of clothes ^_^

Upvote 0

ConservativeChristian97

Oct 4, 2006
In the South
✟17,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Onesies -- do you have other clothes? I notice this is the first mention of clothes ^_^
:doh: Some, but not a lot. Every time I went to buy cloths my mom said not to because he'll just outgrow them. I'm thinking we'll get more clothes and stuff from family as time to have him gets closer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:doh: Some, but not a lot. Every time I went to buy cloths my mom said not to because he'll just outgrow them. I'm thinking we'll get more clothes and stuff from family as time to have him gets closer.

I have to poke a little fun here.... so should we not clothe our children since they will outgrow the clothes ^_^ ^_^ .... I'm just kidding though.... I love buying baby clothes, it is the most fun!

Upvote 0

ConservativeChristian97

Oct 4, 2006
In the South
✟17,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have to poke a little fun here.... so should we not clothe our children since they will outgrow the clothes ^_^ ^_^ .... I'm just kidding though.... I love buying baby clothes, it is the most fun!
That's what I wanted to ask! She even tried to give me dresses and pink overalls (they were mine as an infant) for my son! I told her there would be no little crossdressers in our house. lol I really worry about my mom at times...I'm pretty sure she was kidding and is probably going to buy him more clothes, she just didn't want to tell me that.
I packed away all of David's in clear plastic bins, and next baby we're going to reuse clothes since now I have a set of boys and a set of girls :)
:thumbsup: This is our plan, too. As I said above, Mom still has my baby clothes plus we still have clothes from hubby's little girl. Any clothes we get for Remi will be tucked away to be used on any more boys we may have. I'm sure there'll be at least one more if we do decide to have 7 kids. ;)

Upvote 0