Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, so I'm having a rough week. And just now I've noticed that the times when I'm most likely to loose my cool with the kids is between 4:30 and 5:30 pm roughly. It seems to be a rather consistant thing. I don't loose my cool everday between that hour but I am more irritable.

Does anyone else have a certain time of the day when they react more harshly to the antics of their children? Why do you think this is?

R

RoseofLima

Mine is a little different --becuase often my husband is home and then leaves around 3:00pm for work.

I have found in addition to Jan's idea--of making sure I lay down a bit--to also have a high protein snack around 3:00-3:30. Cottage cheese, or some nuts, or some cheese, or some veggies and peanut butter really helps too. For me a lot of my carbbiness is totally blood sugar related.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you! I'm so glad it isn't just me. I've always noticed that the kids are grumpy between this time but until lately I didn't realize I was too.

I can't lay down and rest my kids are too little to be left unsupervised. They are 4,2 and 1. It gets risky leaving them to use the bathroom sometimes.

RoseofLima - I you make a really good point that I didn't even think about. My blood sugar level is probably too low. Tonight I'm going to try to make a heavier snack at 4pm for everyone, and see how it goes.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

My kids are pretty young, too and can't really be left alone, either--so what I do is to leave my bedroom door open, and the curtains open and all of that. Close all of the other doors-- and either pop on the TV--or just let them play...while I lay down and rest. My goal is not to sleep--as I often feel worse if I have slept during the day...but simply to just get off my feet and take a mental break. Sometimes I will even put up a baby gate in my doorway--so the littlest ones can be close but not ON me. Sometimes I will take a novel and a cup of tea- and gate myself in for 15 min-1/2 an hour. It just helps me to not feel like Sheera the Slavewoman.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It just helps me to not feel like Sheera the Slavewoman.
:D -LOL -^_^
I'm having a cup of coffee and some cereal. The kids are listening to a Pond story in their room. I've got about 220 minutes to listen to my music and have hot coffee. I think I'll make it through dinner time without transforming into Mommy Monster.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RebeccaLuvsJesus

Dec 7, 2005
Virginia
Visit site
✟15,687.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm so glad we can talk about these things on here. I have really been trying to work on my own personal Mommy Monster through prayer.

My oldest is 2 1/2 (well, he'll be 3 in Dec.) and he knows that we pray for our meals and at night before bed. But I'm finding that if I want to instill the importance of prayer I can do so by praying throughout the day with him (and include our 11 month old, Caleb in it). For the past few days we've been praying as we start our day. It is a very simple prayer that I came up with. I say the lines and he says them after me:

Dear God, Thank you for loving me. Thank you for being my friend. Please help Mommy to listen. Please help Jonathan to listen. Please help Caleb to listen. Please help Mommy to be nice. Please help Jonathan to be nice. Please help Caleb to be nice. Thank you, Jesus. Amen

It's silly. . .I know. But I'm finding that when we start our day like that and when I feel that I'm starting to become irritable (or Jonathan starts to become irritable)if I just stop and say "Jonathan, let's pray" and pray something simple like that it helps sooo much.

Upvote 0

cristianna

...dancing in the rain...
Aug 21, 2006
✟20,202.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Our Bewitching Hour varies. On a day-to-day basis it's in full swing on Thursday's around 7:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Sunday nights are the worst because we all have to be up by 6:30 a.m. to get ready for church.

Once I realized there was a pattern (and with the children being older) it was much easier to handle. Bed time slowly gets increased as the week progresses.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My girls turn into crazy people, the moment Daddy walks in the door. :doh: On one hand, it's really frustrating because it's literally like someone flipped a switch on my nice, calm, sweet little girls...but, on the otherhand, I have to be thankful because at least I've got a partner, now, lol, I'm no longer outnumbered. And once the "Daddy's-home-shiny-ness" wears off, lol, they're pretty sweet again.

Also, occassionally when they get off the bus it's a madhouse for 30 minutes to an hour...but I've found if the house is nice and organized (okay, the "house" is a stretch for me, but at the least, the living room and kitchen, lol), and if an after school snack is already prepared, then they're much more calm and happy...and so am I.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My girls turn into crazy people, the moment Daddy walks in the door. :doh: On one hand, it's really frustrating because it's literally like someone flipped a switch on my nice, calm, sweet little girls...but, on the otherhand, I have to be thankful because at least I've got a partner, now, lol, I'm no longer outnumbered. And once the "Daddy's-home-shiny-ness" wears off, lol, they're pretty sweet again.

Also, occassionally when they get off the bus it's a madhouse for 30 minutes to an hour...but I've found if the house is nice and organized (okay, the "house" is a stretch for me, but at the least, the living room and kitchen, lol), and if an after school snack is already prepared, then they're much more calm and happy...and so am I.
My kids do that too. When daddy gets home they turn into crazy creatures. I'm glad their excited about daddy being home (makes him feel really good too) but ugh, I just got them settled and into a relaxing activity.

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Tryinghard for this thread, I really needed to read just now, I'm not the only one struggling with this,

I love my kids and despise myself when I can't be patient

Sounds like a rough day or week
hug.gif

Kids are so forgiving though... that's so nice... if I get discouraged and cry my little guy gives me hugs
wub.gif

Upvote 0